• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

pulpwood prices?

Monte1255

Occupation
Farming/forestry/TSI
Had an offer by a gentlman today for pulpwood. Just curious what others are recieving for the same.

Man said he'd come and pick up the wood and pay as much as $30/thousand bd ft. for boxelder and $50/thousand for other types of softwood such as poplar and similar woods.

It's not a big deal for me actually, as I get paid by the hr. but was thinking "hey if he's willing to come and get it .........gravy!"

Any thoughts?

JTL

Occupation
IUOE Local 302
I'd say go for it! Especially if he's gonna haul it away.
I did some figureing. Out here pulp is bought by the ton, and right now it's going for about $25 a ton. A good load of short logs is going to weigh about 26 tons, and around 3200 bd ft.
At the ton price its $650 a load. By the thousand it would be $960 for the boxelder and $1600 for the other stuff.
I don't think your gonna lose!

Autocar

I would only get X amount bd.ft.to him then see how soon he pays you, alot of good it is if you get burnt

EGS

Occupation
Local 139 operator
Around here they buy it by the ton. Right now they are paying between $30 and $55.

Monte1255

Occupation
Farming/forestry/TSI
By my calculations an above average log can yield about 100 bd feet or so, with that said it will take 10 to 12 logs make up a 1,000 bd/ft. with the rest being sold for cheap firewood or burned through my own furnace.
In gestimating I would say that 10 to 12 logs will be somewhat close to that ton price as well.
Most of the guys that I deal with do not want the "trash wood" and feel it is more of a detriment to their tractors and equipment than anything and so they "just want it out of here".
For me the piles of logs and trash are a liablity and reflect poorly on my abilities when I am told to "just pile it and we'll burn it later". So I kind of figured if they want it gone I can certainly make it dissappear, but if I'm going to do the bucking, I'd like to see a fair price.

DelawareLou

Can someone tell me what is the price for pulpwood if the mill harvests the logs on its own? is the $25 to $30 per ton price for pulpwood require you to deliver cut wood to the mill? I have an offer from a mill for much less than $25 per ton but they will cut it down on our land and haul it away.

mitch504

the $25-30/ton is cut up and delivered to the mill, and most mills won't buy unless you have a contract to deliver a lot, and several kinds of high-dollar insurance,too. the on-the-stump price around here is about 5-8, maybe 10 for big wood near the mill.

forester

selling wood only (aspen) is about $3-3.50 locally. Birch..if you can find a buyer in the city goes for closer to conifer rates. Conifer goes for a premium due to the number of sawmills around at around $9/ton.

Stump to dump operations are getting $49-55/ton prices but that includes harvesting and hauling...rates increase to the $55 mark in exchange for up to a 2.5 hour haul one way.