• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

PTO "power take off" info/help needed

KRiS_660

Hi Guys, i noticed today oil around the PTO which is attached to transmisson. Seems to be a seal, but there's also hair-line crack on housing that some oil is also seeping through.
I've have replacement being shipped but today the pto light inside cab was coming on alot by itself without being ingaged manually and had to stop to dis-engage. Could this be from low transmission oil or another prob? My pto is air controlled . :confused:

Kris

Last edited:

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
PTOs are known to leak after awhile the gasket that goes bettween the PTO and transmission isn't that good.

As for cracks are you sure its a crack or a ridge in the casting ?

Anyhow you said you ordered another one you might want to order a new air slave cylinder too. Low tranmission oil doesn't cause the light to come on. A PTO shouldn't engage by itself.

KRiS_660

i'm sure its crack , cleaned surface and saw fluid show up very slowly from it. Hopefully mechanic can get PTO off tomorrow and i'll post findings.Is it usually normal paper gasket ?

TRANSMISSION: ETON FULLER
MODEL: FRO-15210C
KRiS

Occupation
industrial engine and power systems intern
theres usually atleast 3 gaskets a pto has to be shimmed properly i believe .050 is a good starting point

LowBoy

Occupation
Owner, Iron Mountain Iron & Equipment (Transport)
That's right about the shims.Normally you would do a "dry fit", meaning use 1 gasket to start. With the cover off the PTO, you will slide the gear into the drive gear in the transmission. It should engage smoothly with just a couple thousandth's of backlash.If you're not confident with this procedure, a trained mechanic will do it with ease.
There are 8 copper washers around studs as well, (if side mounted,)that need to be replaced.A good rule of thumb that I live by, (and I've installed quite a few PTO's,) is to apply a thin bead of silicone on both the PTO mounting surface & the gasket itself. I've never had one develop a leak this way, but have if done without it.
Also, the PTO light works off of a ground, probably wire is touching somewhere, or sending unit is KAPOOT.
I'm quite sure that the PTO wasn't engaging, just the light coming on was the problem.
Good luck.:drinkup

KRiS_660

I bought the gaskets in miami FL this weekend, also a new sending unit, pto housing(to replace cracked one ) & seal kit , that way i'll have spare pto .
:cool2

KRiS