• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

proper track tension

gwhammy

What is the right tension for tracks without getting them to tight? I just rebuild a leaking grease tensioner and may have it to tight. We set the spring at a longer setting and pumped the track up till the spring was off the seat a little. Is this right?

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
Usually your manufacturer will give you a droop measurement between two points, say between top roller and front idiler, sag should be x inches. +/- My little dozer wants something akin to 1.5 inch sag +/- .5 inches. Don't want to be so tight that the track is straight, it drives up the wear on everything in a hurry,

gwhammy

Rubber tracks seem to be tighter, I know the settings on the steel track loaders and excavator I have.

Canadian_digger

Both my 3.5 ton bobcat and 8 ton kubota. The track tension is measured by jacking up the machine and measuring the sag at the bottom. Between the steel cleat in the rubber track and middle roller. If I had to guess I would say around 1"1/2 plus minus a 1/2". Rubber track tend to run tight.

Hopefully someone will chime in with your specific machine specs.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
These are older bigger machines but you should be able to figure out most of what you need to know.