• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Productivity estimations for large pond with hoe and wheel loader.

DGODGR

DGODGR
CAT has a equipment cycle hadbook for figuring this stuff out. Give Mark a call on Monday.
I am not the OP in this thread and I have many Cat Performance Handbooks (dating back over 15 years) so, thanks anyway, but I have no need to call Mark nor figure out the OPs cycle times.
It is, however, a good suggestiion for the OP.

monkey

if you are on a budget, buy a used TA dump truck, do what you need to do, then sell it

Just my opinion, that's really not a big project to sink a lot of money in for equipment rental/purchase. If you are in a hurry, then may not be the best solution

Or hire a couple of guys with dump trucks that may not have work at the moment

I work by myself, just an old dump truck, little dozer and hoe....
pine tree with red arrow is the same pine tree in the middle
about 6 acres or more....I havent decided when to quit digging :)

Attachments

• pond 1-31-99 03 pine tree for hef.JPG
    pond 1-31-99 03 pine tree for hef.JPG
    94 KB · Views: 402
  • pond 10-16-11 012 hef.jpg
    pond 10-16-11 012 hef.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 408
Last edited:

diggerman57

Occupation
heavy equipment operator
I think you can make it work just fine with your 225 and a loader. If you rent a 980 cat loader, or something that size, and get a loader operator that knows what he is doing and you'll be fine. A good loader operator will grade off a hall road so it's smooth and fast, place the material and grade it as he goes, and get good compaction by wheel rolling the material after it's placed and graded. One thing that can hold you back is if the material is wet, but even if it is if you just pile it until it dries then go back and shape it after. I've done that type of work with a loader a hundred times without a problem. Sometimes you just have to work with what you have.

EZ TRBO

Occupation
Aggregate Utility, Maintence Welder
Another option, run the excavator to dig your pond, windrow pile your dirt up so the tractor/pan combo can load looser material(will help if you are running a quad track tractor) and keep his cycle times going. Thus will also keep your excavator digging without having to wait for a truck. If it does get too wet to run the combo over it, you have the option of top loading with your excavator.

just my thoughts.
Trbo