• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Problems with volvo Excavator

Dirtman2007

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Has anyone had problems with the fuel filters on volvo excavators?
We can only go about 250 hrs before they have to be changed. You will be working and have about 5 minutes of warning, machine will loose power, then it will completly cut off leaving the machine stranded in all types of places. will not crank until the filters have been replaced. Other than that it has been a great machine!

Turbo21835

At MCM we had this problem too. The 460s were not too bad about it. But the 700 was bad. Dead on at 250 hours it would do the same thing your talking about.

Picture254.jpg

Our Cat 320Cls and 320Clus were just as bad about fuel filters.

Wulf

Surely that would have more to do with fuel quality than the machine??

I would agree with that. Fuel filters are much more efficient on tier 3 engines with some down to 2 micron to ensure that the fine tolerances in the injection system are protected.

Also an important point... if you are in the habit of filling fuel filters prior to installation make sure the fuel is clean and you fill the filter from the outside (unfiltered side).

Last edited:

Dirtman2007

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Surely that would have more to do with fuel quality than the machine??

What ambient temperatures is this occuring at??.

It's not the fuel b/c we have no other problems we we using it in the other equipment we have. we get 500- 600 hrs out of them

We work in temps ranging from 20- 100 degrees F. Nothing drastic.

d4c24a

filters

we have the same problem on a Friends farm he has three fendt tractors ,one is common rail and needs filters changing 250- 300 hours the others not common rail go to 500 no problem ,they all use the same diesel,but different types of filter hope this helps
cheers graham

Alfapillar

I'm sorry to disturb you in this topic, but as it's speak about problem's on Volvo excavator :beatsme
On one machine the engine doesn't stop even we turn the key on off position , did anyone have an idea about that or have the same trouble in the past ? :notworthy

MKTEF

Occupation
Production manager
Alfapillar: check your stop magnet.
Has been a known problem on the c-model wheelloaders. May be the same here. They moved it on later models, and added a wire to have it out of the engine vibration.(moved away from the engine.)

On the exc: Is there a 250h change on the filters?

If it is, i bet the onboard computer turns the engine down if u don't change filters in time.....:(
The tier 3 engines are very dependent on clean fuel to comply to emission standards.
Computers controll everything on machines today. :confused:

Dirtman2007

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Alfapillar: check your stop magnet.
Has been a known problem on the c-model wheelloaders. May be the same here. They moved it on later models, and added a wire to have it out of the engine vibration.(moved away from the engine.)

On the exc: Is there a 250h change on the filters?

If it is, i bet the onboard computer turns the engine down if u don't change filters in time.....:(
The tier 3 engines are very dependent on clean fuel to comply to emission standards.
Computers controll everything on machines today. :confused:

No, the book said it should go about 500 hours, last change i think we only got about 200 hrs:( out of it

MKTEF

Occupation
Production manager
OK...
This is a little nut to crack.:eek:
There might be a wrong adjustment on the sensor that measure the pressure/wacume over the filter.
Or u got very bad fuel with much particles/things that clog up the filter.

Haven't been into this problem though....

Turbo21835

Chris, Does the Volvo have a drain on the prefilter? If so, crack it a few times a week. The other thing I did with the Cat 320s was crack the drain valve on the bottom of the fuel tank every morning. Usually when it gets cold out. You wouldnt think this would be a big deal until you do it. A lot of the time the stuff coming out would be brown, not pink/red like offroad fuel is. But you have to do the drain tricks first thing in the morning. Before start up. This gets everything in the system that has settled out overnight.

Josh

mikef87

Occupation
owner/operator/mechanic/laborer/truck driver
Other than that how do you like the machine? I've heard good things about Volvo

Dirtman2007

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Other than that how do you like the machine? I've heard good things about Volvo

Like you said other than that it is one outstanding machine, very nice cab loaded with all types of options. Its has more power than many of the other brands of equipment, compare to a deere the volvo is twice as fast. Plus its easy on the operator!! I enjoy operating it.

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
I suspect your problem is a combination of things. Firstly, as mentioned, modern fuel injections systems are very suseptible to particulate damage so the filtration is becoming more critical. Secondly, due to the nature of the injection systems and the very high pressures more fuel is recirculated back to the tank for cooling. This basically means you are filtering the fuel more.

The other big factor is fuel quality control is not what it used to be....well...more to say it is manufactured to the mimimum standard whereas in days gone by they did the very best they could, as a matter of providing the highest quality they could.

Fuel being shipped down under is prepared for a particular climate/month. If the fuel is not used in that temperature range or the weather turns cold then you will have problems. I have personally pushed a number of brown sausages out of the fuel lines of loaders in cold weather cause they just wont start. Once upon a time fuel was manufactured for us to be good at anytime of the year.

Wulf

No, the book said it should go about 500 hours, last change i think we only got about 200 hrs:( out of it

Dirtman, when writing the book the manufacturer selects the recommended service interval on a global basis as they don't really have any control over local fuel quality.

It could be that you (or Volvo) need an additional pre-filter to allow the scheduled maintenance intervals to be realised. I would talk to your dealer to see what they think and whether some pre-filter may be needed to allow you to work without those interruptions.

Dirtman2007

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
It has 2 filters on it. The big metal one that screws on beside the fuel take and then the paper filter that goes on the motor. must be volvo's setup because a buddy of ours has two volvos about the same age of ours and they have the exact same problem. Both of us have different fuel suppliers too.

Has anyone else noticed it, but within the last couple of months the off road fuel has gone from a dark red color to a more pinkish red color? Anyone know why.

Gmads

Occupation
Ditchdigger
We're currently running six Volvo excavators and we have not experienced this problem.

mikef87

Occupation
owner/operator/mechanic/laborer/truck driver
It has 2 filters on it. The big metal one that screws on beside the fuel take and then the paper filter that goes on the motor. must be volvo's setup because a buddy of ours has two volvos about the same age of ours and they have the exact same problem. Both of us have different fuel suppliers too.

Has anyone else noticed it, but within the last couple of months the off road fuel has gone from a dark red color to a more pinkish red color? Anyone know why.

Does it have anything to do with that low sulfur off road diesel crap? I know when we started running the low sulfur on road in the trucks we lost a mile or so per gallon.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
This has a smell more of a factory problem than just plugged fuel filters. Fuel filters don't just plug all at once and right on schedule. They don't kill the motor without a fair amount of time slowing down the engine speed first. The salesman should be called into the office and put on a hot plate until the problem is resolved.

I would be looking for fault codes in a display panel somewhere. If there are supposedly safety systems that shut down the engine when the filter does what it's supposed to do, then I would refuse to work underneath it. I've seen many situations where an engine shutdown will put people in plenty of danger. Setting man holes comes to mind but I'm sure others here will think of other times.

As to the comment on fuel quality I don't buy into that in any way. The USA has gone to low sulfer diesel which has an inherent need to produce higher quality fuel. Very shortly we will be using ultralow sulfer diesel which has to be even better. If you are getting dirt or water in your fuel, your supplier should be getting cooked on the same burner as the Volvo salesman.