• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Problems with people not paying....

DuraMaxMan66

Occupation
PT student/operator
There's a quote from Edgar Allen Poe that I always refer to when dealing with deadbeats who don't pay: A wrong is unredressed when retribution overtakes ones redresser.

In English, if you are so consumed in getting retribution that you ruin your life, you loose, no matter how much revenge you get. Don't get in trouble trying to collect, out smart them, don't out screw them.

very true :exactly

dumptrucker

It's a funny thing that I have come to notice over the years that people who
"have" the money are usually the ones that either don't pay or drag their feet for months. The people who are really poor will try their darndest to pay you.

I usually do a couple of what I call charity jobs every year. I know alot of people that live a pretty rough life. So i will do a job for them that I don't expect to get paid for, but if i do , great. Now I don't do big jobs for them but small necisity jobs, like gravel for a better driveway ,or waterline etc.

One job in particular stands out in my mind. This lady had 2 very young kids living alone in this 1 room shack. Her husband had worked for a company for many years and had passed away about a year and a half before. She was waiting for his benefits to kick in , they didn't because the co. decided it was cheaper to not pay the benefits and risk a suit that she couldn't afford. She fought them long enough to run out of money and dropped the case. Now she was flat broke and forced to live in this shack.

She had no water so I went in and one day and said I would dig her a spring. I dug her spring ,put in a used pump, put line into house , put a small septic tank in and leach field( this is in a town with no septic laws) which I sent the specs to an engineer and he signed off on it , as it was to state spec. Had a plumber friend hook up 1 toilet and 1 kitchen sink. At the end of the day she asked how much it was. I told her my time was free and all the materials were stuff I had laying around the shop. Told her 200 dollars for the load of stone and 500 dollars for the plumber. She told me she could't pay. I told her that was ok pay me when you can, never expecting anything.
Next mont I see her and she gives me 10 dollars and tells me this payment for the job. She paid me 10 to 30 dollars every month until she paid the 700 dollars. Her life turned around over the years and is doing ok now.

I like doing 1 or 2 of these charity jobs a year. It's real good for the soul.

Sorry to hyjack the thread a ramble on. :pointhead Just had to tell this story.

mikef87

Occupation
owner/operator/mechanic/laborer/truck driver
It's a funny thing that I have come to notice over the years that people who
"have" the money are usually the ones that either don't pay or drag their feet for months. The people who are really poor will try their darndest to pay you.

I usually do a couple of what I call charity jobs every year. I know alot of people that live a pretty rough life. So i will do a job for them that I don't expect to get paid for, but if i do , great. Now I don't do big jobs for them but small necisity jobs, like gravel for a better driveway ,or waterline etc.

One job in particular stands out in my mind. This lady had 2 very young kids living alone in this 1 room shack. Her husband had worked for a company for many years and had passed away about a year and a half before. She was waiting for his benefits to kick in , they didn't because the co. decided it was cheaper to not pay the benefits and risk a suit that she couldn't afford. She fought them long enough to run out of money and dropped the case. Now she was flat broke and forced to live in this shack.

She had no water so I went in and one day and said I would dig her a spring. I dug her spring ,put in a used pump, put line into house , put a small septic tank in and leach field( this is in a town with no septic laws) which I sent the specs to an engineer and he signed off on it , as it was to state spec. Had a plumber friend hook up 1 toilet and 1 kitchen sink. At the end of the day she asked how much it was. I told her my time was free and all the materials were stuff I had laying around the shop. Told her 200 dollars for the load of stone and 500 dollars for the plumber. She told me she could't pay. I told her that was ok pay me when you can, never expecting anything.
Next mont I see her and she gives me 10 dollars and tells me this payment for the job. She paid me 10 to 30 dollars every month until she paid the 700 dollars. Her life turned around over the years and is doing ok now.

I like doing 1 or 2 of these charity jobs a year. It's real good for the soul.

Sorry to hyjack the thread a ramble on. :pointhead Just had to tell this story.

Amen to that, your a good man. Theres a lot of dirtbags out there who would take advantage of her and over charge her. Even though I don't work on houses there was an old WW2 vet who used to come by the office building I was doing everyday to watch us. He needed his water service done, so we did it for nothing and did his driveway. He was so appreciative, but if it wasn't for him we wouldn't be here right now. Like you said the ones with the money are the first to screw you, the ones with no money will jump through hoops to get your money. Funny how things are these days.

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner
Problem collecting money

Anyone else ever have any problems with people not paying for a job? I did a job this summer for a guy that moved into a new house. i had 2+ days of skidsteer rock hounding + a few hours of manual raking. I presented him with the bill the day after i finished and he stated he would mail it back to me within 3 days, I stated that was fine as long as it was no later. 5 days goes by I call the guy no answer after i left a message. Call the next day no answer + message. Still no call back.:cussing About another 4 days later i said that i'd had enough and if he didnt want to pay me i would return his "yard" to its original state.:idea By this time he has some other contractor prepping the yard for grass with seeding and straw. i loaded up a very full t-tag load load of garbage dirt with rocks and sticks and other crap. Drove to his house backed into the back yard and dumped it right in the middle in several piles and drove off. He still didnt even call after that haha.Anyone else have any stories of this and what they did abou:eek: t it?
Boy its really makes you feel good when you work all your people and equipment for 4 weeks and then the so can fly by night devoloper, says he doesnt have any money to pay. $22,000.00 down and i can sue him, he doesnt care. Well $22,ooo down, i went and spent $1000 to get a lawyer to put a lien on the property and take him to court to sue him. Well I really think the lawyer was as much a shyster as the devoloper. I guess $1000 for about 2 hours work is not enough. Word to the wise, go with your gut feeling about new customers, usually if they start bragging about they have unlimited backing, really BEWARE:eek: you are going to get stuck (no pay) Have an aggreement up front when you get paid, and stick to it, Ive heard it all (got to transfer money, waiting for my partners to transfer money, bank made a mistake, I mailed the money, Ill pay tomorrow for sure:Banghead :Banghead
If you let these new customer get into you for big bucks, trust me, you will get burned. If it sounds real good, watchout

Last edited:

thejdman04

:pointhead Its rotton when you agree to do the work for x amount fo moeny and they dont pay, if they cant or think its too much they shoudlnt have said yes. I dont undrstand why poel thin kthey can get somethign for nothign

dayexco

"agree".....is in writing...in writing, there are no questions....put a lien on his freakin property if he doesn't comply with what you agreed on. i hope your final billing doesn't amount to an unsigned, unsubstantiated change order for work you went ahead and did...not asking the owner of the property if he was willing to pay for it. if you have a written contract, and signed/approved change orders...he's got no room to move...if you don't have them, you're screwed like a housecat.

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner
no pay customers

"agree".....is in writing...in writing, there are no questions....put a lien on his freakin property if he doesn't comply with what you agreed on. i hope your final billing doesn't amount to an unsigned, unsubstantiated change order for work you went ahead and did...not asking the owner of the property if he was willing to pay for it. if you have a written contract, and signed/approved change orders...he's got no room to move...if you don't have them, you're screwed like a housecat.
Ive been in this construction type business for about 10 years, this little crisis, was with a signed contract, as I stated the $1000 lawyer charged me this to put a lein on the property, but as I was paying him he said I dont think you will get your money, but we can try. This was one of my first learning experiences its been 8 years, still no money, just wrote it off.
Be careful out there people, times are tough

dayexco

if you have a mechanic's lein against the property....it's "literally".....yours....he can't sell, borrow against, etc etc....until your lien's been satisfied, by that time, you've accrued many dollars in legal fees, interest, your fees, etc etc....that must be paid before you release the lein

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner
people not paying

if you have a mechanic's lein against the property....it's "literally".....yours....he can't sell, borrow against, etc etc....until your lien's been satisfied, by that time, you've accrued many dollars in legal fees, interest, your fees, etc etc....that must be paid before you release the lein
you are correct and thats the reason I just gave up. The good thing (I GUESS) he cant/hasnt sold this property, he is a Bu-t head from another state that was going to come in our area and make a fortune. People has found out about him and nothing he has is selling, everything around him is selling. Thats all about this for now
Be careful out there

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
atgreene said:
There's a quote from Edgar Allen Poe that I always refer to when dealing with deadbeats who don't pay: A wrong is unredressed when retribution overtakes ones redresser.

Is that from A Cask of Amontillado?

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner
Fecon FTX90L info

I did alot of research on this machine and decided to spend a few more Bucks to get a machine that is deadicated to forestry mulching. My question to anyone, Has anyone had any experiences with this machine? Thanks ahead of time

atgreene

you are correct and thats the reason I just gave up. The good thing (I GUESS) he cant/hasnt sold this property, he is a Bu-t head from another state that was going to come in our area and make a fortune. People has found out about him and nothing he has is selling, everything around him is selling. Thats all about this for now
Be careful out there

You do not need a lawyer to file a lein. Costs $7.50 here and can be done in about 15 minutes.

Look at it this way, you now are collecting compounding interest (18 % I assume) from now until he pays. DO NOT SIGN OFF WITHOUT COLLECTING INTEREST. He can never borrow against, refinance, add-on (with a loan) or do any bank transaction without clearing the lein. Where else can you make 18%? The few I have had I made out pretty well with. The best part is, they can go get a construction loan using the property as collateral, but they CAN'T CLOSE when done :D :eek: . The phone rings off the hook when they suddenly realize that the loan is on hold until all leins are cleared. Never answer when they do call, make them stew for a day or two, it's fun (see quote from above) .:)