• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Pressure in a Case chaincase?

Dwightgry

I seem to have a lot of questions as I learn about my "new" skid steer (Case 465), but when changing the oil in the drives, I discovered one side was under a lot of pressure and blew out some oil when the plug was released. Is there a breather for these that I didn't see? Is there supposed to be pressure inside?

Lil' Puss

Not sure about your Case but my Mustang has a 1/4" NPT sintered bronze vent on each chaincase. Wouldn't think pressure in there would be desirable.

Cappy29

Im not 100% sure on the case models but the New Holland models do not have any vents on the chain cases. they do build up a bit of pressure, but there is no ill effects from the pressure. Other than the odd bit of oil being sprayed at you when removing the plug. Hope this helps. Cheers

Lil' Puss

Even if the chaincases weren't vented, I doubt there would be much pressure (if any) if they were cold. One possible source of pressure build-up would be leaking motor seals or brake pistons (if equipped).

Van Koop

I'm not sure about skid steers, but in excavators when it starts building presure in the planitaries it's a sign that the drive moters are on there way out and letting hydralic pressure past the seals. Did the oil level go up at all?

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
Does anyone know if Case have a vent on their chaincase?
No they don't have breathers. There is usually a push in cap or 2 in them - high up in the case, on the inside plates of the machine. They usually leak oil when the chain case fill with oil from a leaking drive motor. Yours might be better sealed on one side than the other. :beatsme
Was your machine in the sun for a while before you pulled the plugs? That will build some pressure also. :)

Dwightgry

Thanks all; it may not be anything to worry about but will watch this to see if it happens again. The oil level didn't go up and there was only a bit expelled when I removed oil level plug, but it was a surprise as the other side was not pressurized at all.

kuangqy

Occupation
engineer
My case is leaking oil form driver motor, Because of the presure maybe. I don't think it did a god job.