• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

potential employee background checks

Randy88

I've got some questions for employers that have done background checks on potential employee's. First off I've only ever hired people I know or someone I trust has known something about them, we don't hire a lot but how do you go about checking out peoples backgrounds, both with the department of motor vehicles and also the law, to see if they have had problems in the past or in other states and are trying to hide it from me. I've had several looking for jobs come to me and as they say the hair on the back of my neck stood up and basically I didn't believe them and told them, no we're not hiring and I never pursued it, both times they were not local people and somehow floated into my area and came looking for work. Most times I just hand off the information to my insurance company before anything happens and see if I can even insure them, they say yes or no and we go from there with drug testing and things like that, but so far anyone I've hired I've known more about them or just asked someone they've worked for I knew and I got all the information I've needed. How do you tell what fake id's look like or if the person your doing a background check on is even the persons name thats applied at all or if its a bogus name to hide something in their background from you? There has to be someone with experience in this area with both good and bad experiences, could you share some with me. Thanks for your time in advance.

TEC

Drivers abstract they can get at secretary of state. Criminal past I'm not sure what the legalities are, they use to ask if you were bondable, most people don't know that everyone is bondable, so they would answer no on that question.

I'm sure someone else will chime in.

Tom

dwolfe

In missouri you can get on internet to a web site call ( Case. net) and it show all case judgement and court cases. I don't know if Iowa has a site like this. Also I don't tell any potental employee that I have done this research. I think before you can do any back ground check you have to offer the employee a job if he pass your back ground or he has to sign off on it. I'm not a lawyer. Their are also companies that can do these back ground but employee has to agree to let you do them.

grandpa

Yes, the case.net.... maybe called something different in each state. Court documents are public record and can be legally viewed. If the court don't want you to be able to view them , they will "seal" the records.

Randy88

Grandpa, are all states records available online, if so how or under what web address. Does the person who you are checking out need to give permissiion or will they know you checked at all? Are there services that will do this for me I can just pay a fee and I can hire it done?

Randy88

Next you'll look up atco's record, I"m pretty sure he's been harasing minnesotan's in the past, I'm sure its on his record somewhere.

Randy88

Thanks for all the information, its far more than I had before I started asking quesitons