• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

pond cleanout methods

245dlc

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Ahh I see much like a slack line setup just a little less complicated. Don't see anything like that around here if you dig a hole it'll fill up with water for sure and never likely run out it seems. lol But this is a setup used quite a bit for dredging gravel from below the water table it works in a similar way but with more cables.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pSMw9-Qi8M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kExM4eVJg2w

22a

I agree with Scrub Puller regarding the use of a silt scoop to clean out dams/tanks etc. A lot of older dams are a real trap for a dozer as they can drop away sharply near the bottom resulting in a very badly
bogged dozer.
Have a look at www.starkeng.com.au there is a video of one of their silt scoops being used.
Click onto Products, then Scales & Other Products.

Last edited:

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . Good morning and thanks for the link 22a, I have been looking for a decent video to show the folks on here.

That is a different style of scoop again and seems to work pretty well. As I have said, with such inexpensive simple tools available it beats me why any contractor or farmer would put good machinery down into the crap.

As some have mentioned it may be necessary in some cases to build a bundwall or levee to hold the slop.

Ideally these units are operated with a couple of winch trucks which makes it simpler in confined areas.

Cheers.

OCR

Occupation
Rancher/Farmer, Wildland Fire Fighter, State snowp
Last edited:

brucew

I am finding this a very interesting thread as some of the things done elsewhere in the world would just be a complete no no in my books here in Australia.Firstly would be a definite no to knocking out a gap in the bank to drain the water you would have make sure the soil that went back in was the same and compacted the same etc. otherwise first big storm and it could be gone.Totally agree with you scrub on silt scoops as to why more aren't used.I owned one myself for many years a three section one which is even more effective then a single scoop as in the pictures as it can go up and down contours banks etc. and not lose its load of silt.The other thing with cleaning with this method lose very little water out of the dam and also,in my experience, within days the water will, in some cases be clearer than before desilting and cattle will drink it no trouble.I have tried to desilt dams with just a dozer but amongst the the obvious problem of getting the machine bogged, you have the keep a very close eye on the tracks, because if you dont keep the mud away from the tracks then they will bind up that tight that it will make it hard for the machine just to move let alone push silt.I sold the silt scoop only a couple of years ago, why I don't know, could have used it half a dozen times at least since.

FarmWrench

Occupation
Table Potato farmer
I'm kicking myself for how some of our farm ponds were dug! They will be a mess to clean out. I may need a jin pole at theedge to get up the steep banks.

OK with my welder getting twitchy.
1. Width vs length vs height ratio
2. Width of cutting edge to pulling tons or hp?
3. Height of attachment?
4. Suck? Does the cutting edge stick well below the side rails?

22a

I'm kicking myself for how some of our farm ponds were dug! They will be a mess to clean out. I may need a jin pole at theedge to get up the steep banks.

OK with my welder getting twitchy.
?

Sounds like you intend to build one , shouldn't be to hard . If you let us know what HP you have to pull it with we maybe able to help.

FarmWrench

Occupation
Table Potato farmer
20,000# 160hp Case 7120 or 180cvt tractor.
JD 6000# MFA 60hp toy for pull back. Although it is such a handy machine I may build a little one for it as I have a bunch of 1/2 cable and will haveto by bigger to be safe with theother machines. I am fixated on an old fuel tank that just needs a little strength for a starter. If if hangs on a stump men...

I am hunting for my first dozer.

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . brucew. Gudday mate. Good to see another local on here! It is always amazing how folks do things in other places.

Like you I could not believe it when the fellers mentioned cutting the wall to clear the silt . . . an absolute major reconstruction job and lose all the water too, beats me.

Even here though the silt scoop and tank/dam maintenance has been forgotten, it was once just part of normal yearly "jobs to do" on the Stations . . . you are dead right about the water clearing and we had no hesitation in dragging even if the dams were full.

It was better if they were down a bit but they didn't want to be too dry.

FarmWrench. As 22a mentions if you intend to build one it may be possible to come up with some dimensions. As shown in those pictures I posted in basic form they are a pretty simple fabrication but it would be a shame to have to start from scratch and reinvent the wheel.

Some one may be able to come up with drawings, dimensions, or more detailed photo's.

I'll have a look around and if anything useful pops up I'll post it here . . . a good New Year to all

Cheers.

FarmWrench

Occupation
Table Potato farmer
Happy new year! We are dashing through the snow for dinner with friends.

As long as you don't burry the thing or hook a big piece of rock or wood it should notneed to be indestructible. I am looking forwardto what you find . Manure pits may make me so money......get it built first.

22a

Can remember using a Fordson Power Major or a John Deere R to pull one loaded.
Here's some specifications from an old sales brochure.
.75 cu/yrds 3ft wide
1.3 " " 4ft 4" wide
1.7 " " 4ft10" wide
2.2 " " 5ft 4" wide
3.0 " " 6ft 9" wide
These scoops would have been designed when 60/70 HP would have been considered a big tractor . Larger scoops would been pulled with a crawler.
From another brochure.
Sizes 3ft, 4ft, or 5ft(cutting width)x 3ft deep x2ft high.

Last edited:

JDOFMEMI

Looks like a good way to get it done.

I am glad to learn new tricks when I can.

OCR

Occupation
Rancher/Farmer, Wildland Fire Fighter, State snowp

Cam85

I've said it b4 and I'll say it again listen to scrub.He hit the nail in the head go 4 the silt scoop mate u won't beat it.
If that is not an option loaders aren't a bad option either.however if u don't have a good operated on the loader it go south very quickly.
If the dam is more of a rectangle shape u can use a dozer go in from one corner and nibble away at the edge.
Blade tilte is a must and this method is very painful not to mention hard and 1 wrong move can b disaster.
Something else to consider do u really want to put ur undercarriage through that sort of punishment.

JBGASH

Occupation
Plumbing & Excavation Contractor / farmer
A question on the silt scoop method, can the pond be dry or almost dry and still be cleaned with a silt scoop?

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . JBGASH

I remember doing a couple that were dry and pretty much crusted over. It took a while to get the scoop to bite. Once we broke the crust there was enough moisture for the thing to work although the sticky blue mud would hang up in the scoop . . . much better a bit wetter.

Cheers.

brucew

Just a few things if any of you were thinking of building your own silt scoop I suggest a good place to start would be to look at the scoop being used in the blog that scrub suggested.Basically main part of the scoop is three sided with the back edge at a slight angle with a cutting edge just sitting a few inches below the bottom of the rest of the scoop.The scoop in the picture appears to be a two section one, that is, it has another section at the front that is bolted at the bottom on each side but able to pivot on it with another bolt at the top which sits in 6 inch slot which lets the front of the scoop follow the exact contours of banks.I actually owned a 3 section one which meant you could deliver silt up and down a couple of banks with very little loss of material.The other important is how the rear connection is made to drawbar that is sticking a in the air in the picture on the scoop.This drawbar is more of a "J" type arrangement so that when the tractor pulling the scoop back into the dam it lifts the rear of the scoop just a few inches above the ground so very little silt is actually pulled back into the dam.Also it makes it fairly easy going for the tractor to pull it back in.We used 1/2 cable to pull it back in and 5/8 to pull it out from memory.The main section of the scoop was about 5ft wide 3ft high by 3ft long plus another 2 sections about 2ft long each.I dont know how many cubic yards this made it, as the front sections were much lower, but we pulled it out with Cat d4d and pulled it back in with a 3020 John Deere and both of them did it with ease.

Last edited: