• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Pond cleaning advice

CDUB

I agree Scrub, the silt scoop does look like a very efficient way to clean a pond, but I highly doubt that I'll buy one. Pond cleaning is a very minor part of my business. Agricultural work around here doesn't pay as well as other things I could do with my time, so I will invest very little in equipment specifically for agricultural work. I do enjoy the work for the most part, and it makes good filler work. If someone wants me to fix up their pond with the equipment that I have, then I will.

And in D6C's case, where he has a pond that needs fixed up, and a dozer, it only makes sense to offer a method where he could do the job with the equipment on hand.

CDUB

Just re read your first post Scrub. You said someone could knock one together for a few hundred bucks, which would leave a few gaps in my argument. Though, I don't totally concede.

Queenslander

I've used one of the Stark Engineering scoops with excellent results, although not as fast as in the clip, but one of these would probably cost at least several thousand dollars.
I've also used, simpler, home made versions that could be made for several hundred bucks, but the cable needed would cost a similar amount unless you could find some scrapped somewhere.
I've also hooked straight in with a dozer, which is my least favourite method.
Of course, it depends on your temperament as much as the material your working with.
There is nothing more frustrating than struggling to push a wheelbarrow load of mud up the slope only to get within 6 feet of the top of the bank and completely running out of traction.
Cheers, Greg

Dustin

Cut dam to deain water may have to do it in a couple of places so you have better access to mud close to sides. Make cuts in dam so deep that there isnt much of a slope to get mud out. On side slope with mud cut them flat, work on shape later if you side slope in mud you will get stuck... the machine will slide into mud. Once you cut just deep enough to get footing you will be amazed how much sloppy mud your machine will push. Once all the muck is out use your good material in the bottom to rebuild the dam. build dam up enough that you can make a spillway on the lower side. I wouldnt mess with a pipe, most of the ponds around here that have pipe in them also have a spillway for heavy rains so i dont see the point in a buying a pipe.

D6c10K

.......I wouldnt mess with a pipe, most of the ponds around here that have pipe in them also have a spillway for heavy rains so i dont see the point in a buying a pipe.

Lots of older ponds here without pipes too, but the main reason for a pipe is to prevent erosion...with only a spillway you get overflow whenever pond is full that can cut a ditch on back side of dam below spillway. I've got that problem with the pond as it is now.

Not sure if it's practical to run a pipe 250' to the main ditch, but I can at least get it down to where the ground is flatter.

BTW,
Last week we got 5+ inches of rain in 3-4 hours..(rain gauge ran over). Two of my ponds (about 1 acre each) have overflow pipes and 10-12' wide spillways. Still wasn't enough to drain the water....both ponds over-topped the dams which are 2-3 ft. above the spillway height. Wish I had pics of them but it was at night. Same thing happened 3-4 years ago.

Last edited:

dozerman400

Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
This will work if there is dry dirt next to the pond.

Pump water out. Dig a DEEP hole(hole's) with excavator next to the pond (20' deep if possible), fill hole 1/2 way up with mud then with excavator sprinkle dry dirt to cap mud. After a few feet of dirt you can put it in at a faster pace to get to get back up to grade. Now it is easier to deal with the extra dry dirt instead of the mud.
Maybe make a blueprint of your holes in case you need to do this again in 20 years.

22a

A silt scoop (as stated before ) would be the way to go. Taking a dozer near the dam in question, other than to pull a silt scoop would be asking for trouble.
Draining pumping out etc would be a complete waste of time and money.
Have seen dams that have been cleaned out with an excavator and they don't compare to the job done properly with a silt scoop.

Have silt scoops ever been manufactured in the US?

Last edited:

CDUB

No one around here chains brush either. May be a difference in soil type, terrain, rainfall, etc. I'm not scared at all to take a dozer to an existing pond dam, but maybe around here it's easier to get a pond to hold water. There's all sorts of the most advanced machinery of all descriptions within 10 miles of my house, but no silt scoop. They were really popular in the form of the horse drawn slip, until the invention of the crawler tractor. Perhaps we've regressed.