• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Political ads on HEF seriously

Randy88

How come from time to time today and the last few days, are there political ads on the top of HEF both before and after I log in? did I miss an inner office memo that now we can bash politicians? Seriously guys it can't be just me on my computer can it?? It shows up just like the ads do in the yellow area for construction advertising. Did some spam slip through the system and make it up on the system? Just curious as to what's up, never seen it before and hopefully never see it again, we all get enough everywhere else its not needed here too.

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
Well, election day is near, so politicians are paying for advertising all over the place. Those ads don't originate here. They're bought and paid for somewhere else, and HEF just gets a small slice of the revenue. And, truth be told, your own internet browsing habits have some influence on which ads pop up there. Last week I was doing some research on load securement, and damned if I'm not getting ads from dealers in that stuff now, that I never got before. I haven't seen a political one yet, but then I don't spend much time browsing political content on the web.

I've long thought Google's motto should be, We know you better than you know yourself.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Digger beat me too it. I searched "slope lasers" the other day...:rolleyes:

I've long thought Google's motto should be, We know you better than you know yourself.
- they do, ohh they do.

JNB

Occupation
Flyin' low and rollin' slow...
Digger beat me too it. I searched "slope lasers" the other day...:rolleyes:

- they do, ohh they do.

Funny you mentioned that. As you know, I've been researching lasers the past week. Even though I use an adblocker with firefox they still got me. I had three emails this week from Amazon regarding lasers that I may be interested in. I don't recall looking on Amazon for a laser. I'm sure that there's a bunch of shared info on us too.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
I'm sure that there's a bunch of shared info on us too.

Any shared information wouldn't be coming from HEF, now it could come from our browsing preference like we talking about but HEF doesn't share information.

JNB

Occupation
Flyin' low and rollin' slow...
Any shared information wouldn't be coming from HEF, now it could come from our browsing preference like we talking about but HEF doesn't share information.

10-4, I wasn't referring to HEF, just google and the like.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
10-4, I wasn't referring to HEF, just google and the like.

No problem just wanted to clarify.

I don't know if anyone has been on Zoro to look at something but if you do, it'll follow you around like a bad cold.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
It's in the cookies! You have spies on your computer and you let them in.

Randy88

So if I get this right, my browsing habits show me the political ads here on HEF but others don't see them?? If google or whoever knows me better than I know myself, they should know I don't live in any or can vote in any of the states the political ads are from that are shown here on HEF for my benefit, so I'm thinking maybe they don't know as much as some would think, just an observation.

Does that mean in two weeks, we can look forward to all the presidential candidates advertising here as well for all to enjoy and view for the next up coming election in two years, just a question, don't mean to haggle the admins, I'm trying to adapt to "change" sorry no political pun intended.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
The one ad at the top of this page is Ritchie Brothers for me right now.

So if I get this right, my browsing habits show me the political ads here on HEF but others don't see them?? If google or whoever knows me better than I know myself, they should know I don't live in any or can vote in any of the states the political ads are from that are shown here on HEF for my benefit, so I'm thinking maybe they don't know as much as some would think, just an observation.

I don't know how the ads are structured but I haven't been on Ritchie Brothers site in several weeks. However, I have been on several other auction sites for trucks and heavy equipment.

They use some sort of computer algorithm that makes a best "match". Internet marketing is a very, very big business.

OCR

Occupation
Rancher/Farmer, Wildland Fire Fighter, State snowp
DoosanFan said:
AdBlock works like a bomb

oarwhat said:
I agree Adblock is the best. It shows it's blocking 4 ads now.

:thumbsup... Don't think I could stand to be without it.

https://adblockplus.org/

https://adblockplus.org/en/features

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adblock_Plus

Lol...
THIS_IS_WIKIPEDIAAArr.png

OCR... :D

PS: Another one I use...

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/flashblock/

I guess it works with Internet Explorer too...

http://lifehacker.com/5533694/use-internet-explorers-built-in-flash-block-feature

Last edited:

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
Me said:
I haven't seen a political one yet, but then I don't spend much time browsing political content on the web.

I spoke too soon. Now I'm getting ones related to the Pennsylvania Governor's race... :rolleyes:

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Still Ritchie Bros..

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
Our ads are placed by two marketing agents, Google Adsense and BuySellAds. With BuySellAds I have the opportunity to screen each and every ad before it is placed here, with Adsense I don't. I have been able to have them filter ads with adult content but every now and then one of them slips through. I'm not sure I can filter the political ads.

As the Moderators have mentioned, these ads keep the site free to our members and I've limited the number of them seen by members logged in to a minimum. In two more days the political ads should disappear until next season.

lantraxco

Hey Steve, the ads here never bother me just so you know! Compared to most other sites across the web this is heaven. It's getting so there are so many side ads, top ads, banner ads, and popup ads on news and magazine sites, you can't read what you went there for!

Keep up the good work.
Lanway