• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Plate Compactor smoking

IceHole

Older Multiquip/Mikasa plate compactor that I bought at auction

Yanmar 10hp engine.

I went through and steam cleaned it, painted, replaced some worn/broken parts, fresh oils, new fuel filter, cleaned the fuel tank, etc.

Runs, but it's hard to start, smokes white at idle, black smoke at WOT. Has good compression so don't think it's that.

Have a fuel pump and injector on order for it, not sure exactly how the little pump is timed though.

IceHole

Haven't checked, not too sure how to actually. I got it wrapped up a bit before I had to head out for work in July and won't be home for another week or so.
Does the injection timing seem to be correct

Delmer

I'd see what the new injector does for it. Maybe hook up the injector pointing out and see what the pattern looks like. The timing is probably shims under the pump element on the block, the position of the gear on the rack is important too. If nobody has messed with those, I'm not sure what could change for timing, not sure if there's an advance mechanism in there or not. The yanmar I use smokes worse than that under full load, but is cleaner at idle, as far as I know nothing wrong with the one I use, and low low hours.

IceHole

I'd see what the new injector does for it. Maybe hook up the injector pointing out and see what the pattern looks like. The timing is probably shims under the pump element on the block, the position of the gear on the rack is important too. If nobody has messed with those, I'm not sure what could change for timing, not sure if there's an advance mechanism in there or not. The yanmar I use smokes worse than that under full load, but is cleaner at idle, as far as I know nothing wrong with the one I use, and low low hours.
Not sure the hours of this guy. It was pretty ugly, the battery was dead and the recoil spring broken so no one could test it out.
I paid $600 for it where the others, probably from the same company, went for 2-4k. A buddy that does dirt work for a living said they are around 12-15k new. (holy crap!)

IceHole

New pump installed and overhead run.

Starts better, still smoking.

I hector I got incorrect, can find right one. Ideas?20230910_185716.jpg20230910_185710.jpg20230910_185149.jpg20230910_185136.jpg

materthegreater

I don't have any ideas, but it must be a popular thing to do. My compactor has been smoking as well. But it's a carb'd Honda.

IceHole

Stupid auto uncorrect.

Keeps changing I n jector to I hector (spaced so it stops changing it!)

IceHole

Finally found the correct ihector, $150 vs the $40 "correct" ones listed everywhere.