• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Plans for Large Scale Demo in Flint Michigan

Do you think this large scale demo is a good idea for Flint?

• Total voters

Wolf

Look at this cool article about plans for large scale demo in Flint Michigan. Sounds like a good idea.

FLINT, Mich. — Dozens of proposals have been floated over the years to slow this city’s endless decline. Now another idea is gaining support: speed it up.

Today's Business: David Streitfeld on plans to speed up the decline of Flint, Michigan.Instead of waiting for houses to become abandoned and then pulling them down, local leaders are talking about demolishing entire blocks and even whole neighborhoods.

The population would be condensed into a few viable areas. So would stores and services. A city built to manufacture cars would be returned in large measure to the forest primeval.

“Decline in Flint is like gravity, a fact of life,” said Dan Kildee, the Genesee County treasurer and chief spokesman for the movement to shrink Flint. “We need to control it instead of letting it control us.”

The recession in Flint, as in many old-line manufacturing cities, is quickly making a bad situation worse. Firefighters and police officers are being laid off as the city struggles with a $15 million budget deficit. Many public schools are likely to be closed.

“A lot of people remember the past, when we were a successful city that others looked to as a model, and they hope. But you can’t base government policy on hope,” said Jim Ananich, president of the Flint City Council. “We have to do something drastic.”

In searching for a way out, Flint is becoming a model for a different era.

Planned shrinkage became a workable concept in Michigan a few years ago, when the state changed its laws regarding properties foreclosed for delinquent taxes. Before, these buildings and land tended to become mired in legal limbo, contributing to blight. Now they quickly become the domain of county land banks, giving communities a powerful tool for change.

Indianapolis and Little Rock, Ark., have recently set up land banks, and other cities are in the process of doing so. “Shrinkage is moving from an idea to a fact,” said Karina Pallagst, director of the Shrinking Cities in a Global Perspective Program at the University of California, Berkeley. “There’s finally the insight that some cities just don’t have a choice.”

While the shrinkage debate has been simmering in Flint for several years, it suddenly gained prominence last month with a blunt comment by the acting mayor, Michael K. Brown, who talked at a Rotary Club lunch about “shutting down quadrants of the city.”

Nothing will happen immediately, but Flint has begun updating its master plan, a complicated task last done in 1965. Then it was a prosperous city of 200,000 looking to grow to 350,000. It now has 110,000 people, about a quarter of whom live in poverty.

Flint has about 75 neighborhoods spread out over 34 square miles. It will be a delicate process to decide which to favor, Mr. Kildee acknowledged from the driver’s seat of his Grand Cherokee.

He will play a crucial role in those decisions. In addition to being the treasurer of Genesee County, whose largest city by far is Flint, Mr. Kildee is chief executive of the local land bank. In the last year, the county has acquired through tax foreclosure about 900 houses in the city, some of them in healthy neighborhoods.

A block adjacent to downtown has the potential for renewal; it would make sense to fill in the vacant lots there, since it is within a short walk of a University of Michigan campus.

A short distance away, the scene is more problematic. Only a few houses remain on the street; the sidewalk is so tattered it barely exists. “When was the last time someone walked on that?” Mr. Kildee said. “Most rural communities don’t have sidewalks.”

But what about the people who do live here and might want their sidewalk fixed rather than removed?

“Not everyone’s going to win,” he said. “But now, everyone’s losing.”

On many streets, the weekly garbage pickup finds only one bag of trash. If those stops could be eliminated, Mr. Kildee said, the city could save $100,000 a year — one of many savings that shrinkage could bring.

Mr. Kildee was born in Flint in 1958. The house he lived in as a child has just been foreclosed on by the county, so he stopped to look. It is a little blue house with white trim, sad and derelict. So are two houses across the street.

“If it’s going to look abandoned, let it be clean and green,” he said. “Create the new Flint forest — something people will choose to live near, rather than something that symbolizes failure.”

Watching suspiciously from next door is Charlotte Kelly. Her house breaks the pattern: it is immaculate, all polished wood and fresh paint. When Ms. Kelly, a city worker, moved to the street in 2002, all the houses were occupied and the neighborhood seemed viable.

These days, crime is brazen: two men recently stripped the siding off Mr. Kildee’s old house, “laughing like they were going to a picnic,” Ms. Kelly said. Down the street are many more abandoned houses, as well as a huge hand-painted sign that proclaims, “No prostitution zone.”

“It saddens my heart,” she said. “I was born in Flint in 1955. I’ve seen it in the glory days, and every year it gets worse.”

Mr. Kildee makes his pitch. Would she be interested in moving if the city offered her an equivalent or better house in a more stable and safer neighborhood?

Despite her pride in her home, the calculation takes Ms. Kelly about a second. “Yes,” she said, “I would be willing.”

Attachments

• 27773446.jpg
    27773446.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 631
  • 27773538.jpg
    27773538.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 1,066
  • 27773618.jpg
    27773618.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 624
Last edited:

surfer-joe

Frankly Wolf, I wouldn't miss the City of Flint if the entire place was bulldozed and burned. The only place the inhabitants could go to be safer and more stable is west and north of Flint, in Michigan that is. They would likely all be better off if they headed out of state if having a job is important in this equation. I can't remember a time when Flint was a nice place to go to, and that goes back to the fifties. Glory days? I don't believe Flint ever had any.

Turbo21835

Well, we can start in Flint, move to Saginaw, and the grand finale can be Detroit. Lets be honest, the decline in American Auto Industry has hit all of the cities in Michigan. Flint has been bad, and is about to be worse, rumor has it Truck and Bus is going to be sold to International. Long time lines have come to an end, like most of the engine production work that was done in Flint.

Saginaw used to have huge foundries. The smallest, and the plant that produced some of GMs hardest iron castings was shuttered last year. The other remaining foundry in town had all of its furnaces removed last spring. They only cast aluminum now, and that is melted at contractors smelting plant, and then trucked to the casting operations. At one time, that plant employed well of 10,000 people, at present date, they are over staffed with 400 people.

Not many realize how big of an influence the auto industry has on this nation. That being said, some of the things that the auto industry does seems to hurt itself, at least in my opinion. Lets use a new engine to be built in Flint Mi. The block is going to be cast in Defiance Ohio, then it will be shipped to Flint Mi. There it will be machined, and assembled, then shipped to Lordstown Ohio. In all reality, does it make sense to ship parts all over the place like this? The way I see it, if you locate your parts plants, and your assembly plants in the same area, this will cut way back on your transportation costs.

mudmaker

I voted no just because I dont think it needs to be a decision made by bureaucrats. If they want to demo the ones they got on taxes then that is fine. My guess is they are going to try and push through this whole thing and the only ones that will get the short end are the property owners who have not defaulted on taxes. They will offer to trade properties in different areas and so forth, but if they start dictating this for the good of the community where does it stop. IMHO these local govt's need to promote and draw new industry into these towns instead of complaining about what use to be. I think they tend to get stuck in a rut. I know it is not easy, but it seems to me crazy that you want to demo an entire section of town to simply cut cost to the city. I think if they were spending as much money and creativity on building a business base for their community they wouldn't have such a problem. I guess it is easier to accept the role of victim!!

danhoe

Anyone with questions or indecesions if this should be done go for a ride in Detroit, there are area's 1 mile by 1 mile need to be taken down. I repaired main line sanitary sewer lines for the city. I would get a call to go repair one, the basements would be flooded for 3-4 monthes before anything would be done. The last I heard there are over 100 major sewer breaks that need to be repaired. We looked at a fire hydrant for 1.5 years that was broke and running water before it was repaired. Flint has the right idea, Detroit needs to do the same. danhoe