• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Pipe Work and Excavator Size

mlocklear1

Occupation
Excavating/Grading PU-Water&Sewer Lines
What size excavator is needed to do water/sewer and storm drain projects? I need a machine that has enough reach and power to set pump stations and manholes, as well as digging depth for sewer, and manuevering trenchboxes?

JDOFMEMI

That is a pretty generic question.

I have seen the right size be a 20 ton machine, and I have seen it be a 125 ton machine, with everything in between.

What size pipe?
How deep?
What kind of ground are you digging in?
What daily production do you need?
How heavy are the trench boxes?

mlocklear1

Occupation
Excavating/Grading PU-Water&Sewer Lines
Just looking for a good size machine that would allow me to do more jobs. Putting in gravity sewer up to 12", water lines also up to 12" and storm drainage 54". I don't want something to small that I can't do jobs like that but not to big that it is not worth the cost of owernship

DGODGR

The Cat Performance Handbook has a work sheet to help you size an excavator. It will be productivity based and will not help with other selection considerations. Speaking of which you did not mention if you will be on site or working in the street, both of which are important nor did you give a size, or more specifically a weight, for a pump station. A manhole section can easily be handled by a 20t or up, unless you get to an unusually large diameter. The use of a shield, especially if you are stacking, will also matter.

DGODGR

Just looking for a good size machine that would allow me to do more jobs. Putting in gravity sewer up to 12", water lines also up to 12" and storm drainage 54". I don't want something to small that I can't do jobs like that but not to big that it is not worth the cost of owernship

I think a 20t machine will do in many situations that you are describing but you still have not stated depth, production, street vs dirt, etc. I think a 30 metric ton machine can do 75-80% of all excavator work. It might be bit big for some jobs and a bit small for others, but it will still work.
For whatever my opinion's worth.

JDOFMEMI

Another thing to think of is hauling the machine. I would recommend the largest machine that can be hauled in your local area without a huge hassle with permits, special equipment, or taking apart.
Here in CA, a 30 to 35 ton machine fits that description well.
I am not sure what you can move easily where you are located.

coorecat

I have used everything from a 160 up to a 1250 and everything in between. As usual I have to agree with Jdofmemi as a general excavator to use in this type of work would be around a 35 ton machine such as a Komatsu 300 or Cat 330 hope this helps!

buckfever

Your going to have to be more job specific. New development work? I would say a komatsu 300HD. Utility improvements in town? Hitachi 225, komatsu 228 or 308. Working in tight urban areas? What ever the hell will fit.

j.r.

Occupation
hoe operator
around here a 20 ton machine would'nt cut it for a single machine on most projects.we mostly run 345's on our pipe jobs. yes some we can do with a 20 ton machine and some need an 85 ton machine so there is no standard size for pipe work.

joispoi

I don't mean to sound like a jerk and maybe this doesn't apply to you at all, so please don't take this the wrong way. But if you don't know what size machine you need to do a job, you have to ask yourself if you've been doing it long enough to go out on your own and if you've got enough experience to do the job and still make a profit.

Hendrik

I don't mean to sound like a jerk and maybe this doesn't apply to you at all, so please don't take this the wrong way. But if you don't know what size machine you need to do a job, you have to ask yourself if you've been doing it long enough to go out on your own and if you've got enough experience to do the job and still make a profit.
Well yeah I was kinda thinking this as well, perhaps he/she got the wording wrong and is asking for machine recommendations, anyway around here I am seeing a lot of SR Kobelco zero swing machines sitting in the street, not doing much.

john1066

Depends on what we are doing I have done pipe with a 301.6 or a m 322 and on other jobs a 365c depends on where it is how deep and where you have to work

Hendrik

I would think another major factor is ease of transportation, smaller machines are easier to shift.
However if you need to shift a 5 tonne weight a 20 tonner is not going to cut it, however it may work out cheaper to hire in a crane to do the heavy lift, if it is just now and then.

DGODGR

Maybe we are all getting carried away with this one. The OP has not replied to any comments, suggestions, or questions. It's pretty sad when you (the OP) don't even have the courtesy to acknowledge replies when the respondent took the time to offer hard earned knowledge that you requested.

SeaMac

Occupation
Operator
I'll add this, we just completed a project with 60" RCP and used a Case CX330. The Case had little trouble with the pipe but you need to set structures too and that's where the Case simple fell flat on it's face. I concur with other's replies, know what you need before you start any project and a good rule of thumb is to go as big as will fit the jobsite and budget. Since most precast yards can tell you in advance what your structures will weigh figure on that as a baseline for your excavator needs. Good luck...