• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Pin Removal Help

lfreng

Trying to remove a cylinder to put in new seals and I cannot get the rear pin out. Any tips on removal? Tried hitting the end with a 12 lb sledge against a socket on the through bolt end. didn't budge it at all. Attached a few photos. 20210620_085225.jpg 20210620_085229.jpg 20210620_085243.jpg 20210620_085252.jpg

lfreng

only problem with that is the excavator is 5 hours north of me on my land and I have very little resources up there. I am not sure what size seals this thing has. Its an older Kobelco SK024 and online info is very thin. Wanted to pull it and take it home so I can bring it into a local parts guy to get the right size replacements.

Vetech63

only problem with that is the excavator is 5 hours north of me on my land and I have very little resources up there. I am not sure what size seals this thing has. Its an older Kobelco SK024 and online info is very thin. Wanted to pull it and take it home so I can bring it into a local parts guy to get the right size replacements.
You can pull the rod assembly which will come out with everything that has a seal or oring.......then you can take it where ever you want. It looks like all you would need is a spanner or a pipe wrench to unscrew the cylinder gland.....and a wrench to remove/ loosen the hoses on the barrel.

phil314

Occupation
Instigator of Choas
I had something similar on a skid steer cylinder once - pin rusted in place.
I used a combination of heat to expand the hole.
Then welded a large nut on the end of the pin and used an impact gun to spin it out.
Not sure what tools you've got up there.

My other thought would be disconnect the lines and flip the cylinder over pointing toward the cab.
Then pull the rod and seals out and get them replaced.

lfreng

Thanks for the feedback guys. I could get a welder up there to do the nut trick. I will try and pull the guts first. Its been leaking fluid for years so hopefully the end will come off without too bad of a wrestling match.

Delmer

So you're prepared, look up the peening method of loosening cylinder glands. Make sure there's no set screw in the cylinder end holding the gland. Be prepared to weld up a wrench to hold a grip on that gland end to turn it. a ratchet strap or small chain through the ears on the base will hold the wrench in place.

If you have to resort to taking the pin out, use a hydraulic jack and press frame so you're pressing the pin against the opposite ear with the opposite ear supported. Or if there's room, sawzal the pin on both sides of the cylinder, then each side will knock out much easier, and get a new pin.