• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Pictures of my work

Dirtman2007

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Where is that rock coming from. You all don't have rock down that east do you?

My lord do we have rock:eek::eek::eek:

Raleigh NC is the heart of rock country. The is a huge vein of rock that runs from here pretty much to the VA border. but is runs in spurts, one side of the county you can dig down 25' and not hit anything, the other side of the county you don't even bother digging, because the rock is stick out of the ground!

I don't have much of a rock problem when building ponds as I'm usually in the nice low areas where everthing is nice and soft, plus we don't go down that deep.

But the the few times I've dug a basement I usually hit rock and have to hammer it out.

Bellboy

COPPA
Occupation
Student
The only thing we get is shale. No matter how deep you go, even with a 20T excavator, you still dig up shale. If we do want good rock however, we have to get it from the highveld!

Oh, and , have you ever thought about picking up a camera proffesionaly? You take some damn good pics. I was just thinking about that guy that took pics of the Boston Big Dig every day, and had some real good shots.

Last edited:

humboldt deere

Occupation
general building and engineering contractor
In all new construction they wil bury the tank around here. I've never had a problem with one going bad, of course with eveything you bury in the ground it's going to have a life span in which it will need to be replaced. I've only had to dig up one that was leaking and that way because the backhoe operator hit the tank when installing it. This lead to a weak point and the tank began to leak about a year later. It was pretty cool, the propane leaking form the tank cause the ground to freeze solid as a rock around the bottom of the tank. It was the middle of summer and I had a big blob a frozen dirt that needed to thaw!
I just set a 500 gal. tank on my site and the propane company wires bags of zink to the tank. The zink takes all of the oxidation and it leaves the tank alone. Pretty smart!

Bellboy

COPPA
Occupation
Student
I have not ran that machine in over a month. It's been sitting on a big dirt pile that we've been getting dirt from for varoius jobs. I should be back on it in a couple weeks. I'm kinda getting tired of the daewoo;)

I would never get tired of a daewoo, but it seems that you sure are kept busy.

dbf577

dirtman, I see many of your ponds have docks. Do you build them if so could you give me an idea how to build one

Dirtman2007

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
dirtman, I see many of your ponds have docks. Do you build them if so could you give me an idea how to build one

Yeah I also build docks too if the pond owner wants one. The comon docks I build are int eh shape of a T. the first is a 6'x 12' wide one that flares off to a 16' 8' on the end. I take the chainshaw and cut a point on the end of the post and drive them in the ground with the excavator bucket. once I get them all in, I cut them to the proper hieght and frame it up just like a deck.

dirt digger

Occupation
pushing dirt, baling hay, and hitting the books
how long of a post do you normally use?

Dirtman2007

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
how long of a post do you normally use?

I use 6x6 posts. usually the ones right at the bank are around 5' tall, I like to try and get 3' in the ground so in this case 2' would be stick out. Then depending on how deep the pond is I'll either use a 8' , 12' or 16' one. It takes a beefy man to hold up a 6x6 16' long until I can get the bucket up top to push down.

T_S_S

Occupation
Owner , Total Site Solutions
Are you slowing down much in your area Chris or are you fairly busy? Great pictures.

Dirtman2007

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Are you slowing down much in your area Chris or are you fairly busy? Great pictures.

I've been pretty steady this year with very few days off. I've got work till the end of the year but then it gets a little ify. Hopefully someone with some sense will get elected and put use back on track and the work will continue to come in.

Dirtman2007

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Started a new project this week. Clearing and buring until the fellow tells me to stop. These were suppose to be planted pine trees but it seems that there are few pines and many other trees instead. So I'm ripping them all out and setting it all on fire.

Attachments

• 003-55.jpg
    003-55.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 1,274
  • 004-50.jpg
    004-50.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 1,276
  • 005-48.jpg
    005-48.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 1,286
  • 007-31.jpg
    007-31.jpg