• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Pictures of HEO Girl's School Pit/Equipment

HEO Girl

Here, there, and everywhere in Maine and beyond
Occupation
Fence & Guardrail Installation
Some pictures of my school equipment and the pit we work at. More pictures will be added as the school year progresses and we get to do more jobs.

The pit isn't actually owned by the school, it's owned by the Moosehorn Refuge which lets us use it because we maintain their roads and do projects for them and such.

41205_10150235259315023_820105022_14188357_2662973_n.jpg
41205_10150235259310023_820105022_14188356_6227715_n.jpg
Driving practice to see who is capable to take the dump trucks out on the back roads of the refuge to bring material out. It took us about an hour and a half to get to the culvert we were puttin an extension on and widening the road in that spot using the back roads, takes 10 mins if you use your truck on the main roads. Those who don't pass the test stay back in the pit and practice or they can ride as a passenger. Every truck when it leaves has to have a passenger and the trucks have to travel together, never alone. We get no cell service out here and have no radios so if something goes wrong they want us to be able to get someone out to get help.

62254_10150250218560023_820105022_14566962_5562137_n.jpg
This is my favorite dump truck, everyone else hates it. Which is out of service for another couple weeks. The fuel doesn't stay in the lines so we have to prime it to start it, so once it's started you don't wanna stall it or turn it off. I had never ever driven a standard or anything bigger then a Ford Ranger before I got here. It is a 13 speed with a really odd shift pattern. It's got Direct, Intermediate, and LO.

More to come later today! I gotta go to class now.

Last edited:

HEO Girl

Occupation
Lol everyone loves the Western Star, no one ever gives any love to the Kodiak or our Brigadier.

46835_10150235259260023_820105022_14188354_6716727_n-1.jpg
Our old grader. We call her hunny. She will kick your ass.

63507_10150250218370023_820105022_14566952_688500_n.jpg
This WA300 is a dog. You have to smash it right to the floor to get any hydraulic power. Good luck screening it with our screens too because the bucket doesn't quite make it high enough.

58517_10150243589465023_820105022_14406553_1413359_n.jpg
Our 966 setting up the screens.

59043_10150243589370023_820105022_14406550_5551705_n.jpg
New WA200 that everyone fights over.

59466_10150244166475023_820105022_14419576_4287025_n.jpg
The little "road" I made with the John Deere bulldozer. I'm pretty sure it's a 450G. The roads actually kinda flat instead of wavy!

HEO Girl

Occupation
0921000748.jpg
Me and a few other people get to the pit an hour early to do pre-checks and load the trucks so when 7am rolls around we can take off and get a couple more loads out that day. This is the Western Star and the General. The General has some balls let me tell you and it always wants to go.

0916001032a.jpg
The General comin threw the gate. The passenger in the first truck has the lucky job of running around opening the gates when we get to them, then closing them when all the trucks get threw, then haulin ass back to the first truck to get movin. That happened to be me that day. Gotta get your exercise!

0902001104.jpg
The D3 everyone hates. You come to the pit and almost everything will be working but the D3 because no one wants to get on it and take the time to get to know the machine enough to do anything with it. It's not such a bad machine when you figure it out.

62254_10150250218565023_820105022_14566963_611264_n.jpg
The new CASE the MooseHorn let us borrow. Another machine people have thrown punches over. :rolleyes: boys.

DEERE310SG

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Nice pic's. That Western Star is my favourite out of all the trucks there I like the GMC General too.:)

Kyle

Last edited:

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
Well done HEO do keep them coming,and the odd update on your progress as well.

jimmyjack

everyone always runs for the new toys huh, when they get out they'll be out of luck most companys ive been at the new guy doesnt get the new piece they get the old d3 or that komatsu loader , if it was me get the time with the older stuff learn to be good on them and if and when you get a new piece of a equipment it'll be a cake walk

nedly05

Good advice jimmyjack, same with the trucks keep runnin that old brigadier! This looks like a great place to go to school, keep posting up pics and good luck!

heavylift

nice pics
we had a new brigadier dump in the 1980..

pretty black shiney....everyone pretty much hated the truck...

The name of the truck...."BLACK BONUS"... why? well that year we didn't get a bonus... we got the only thing the company purchased that year... a dump truck...
we already had 5 dump trucks

HEO Girl

Occupation
Well done HEO do keep them coming,and the odd update on your progress as well.

I'm so glad to finally have a chance! Odd updates for an odd person :tong.

everyone always runs for the new toys huh, when they get out they'll be out of luck most companys ive been at the new guy doesnt get the new piece they get the old d3 or that komatsu loader , if it was me get the time with the older stuff learn to be good on them and if and when you get a new piece of a equipment it'll be a cake walk

Exactly. I like running the older stuff because then people don't come over and kick you off to take their turn. But man let me tell you that 200 sure is nice compared to that 300 lol. The little D3 ain't so bad though, you just gotta love it.

Good advice jimmyjack, same with the trucks keep runnin that old brigadier! This looks like a great place to go to school, keep posting up pics and good luck!
I ain't driven the Brigadier yet but I've been in the passenger seat. We are putting in a new power steering pump and with everything else going on it's kinda been put on the back burner. The accelerator is really touchy and she shakes and rattles like mad.

I love those old 966s. I would rather have that than any of those new ones.
The 966 is a tired machine. I didn't find out what was wrong with it before I left the pit Thursday but someone said something about the hydraulics and something else I can't remember.

nice pics
we had a new brigadier dump in the 1980..

pretty black shiney....everyone pretty much hated the truck...

The name of the truck...."BLACK BONUS"... why? well that year we didn't get a bonus... we got the only thing the company purchased that year... a dump truck...
we already had 5 dump trucks
We call ours "The Rig of Fear" :)

580bruce

What kind of excavator is in the back there?Love me some old Komatsus! Looksmlike you are havin fun.Rember,if its not fun--Its work!

King of Obsolete

Occupation
marketing my life style
i can't believe the school that she has waited so long to attend. it should be the King of Obsolete School, LOL. up here in the great white north the students get so much seat time on each machine and no one can kick them off. if you are uncomfortable with a michine you get more seat time. with the big mine clean up here and it has on the contract to hire so many locals. at my real job i had (ok, he was the only one answering the phone that day)to take the male waitress from the cafe and toss him in a brand new rock truck and give him the 3 hour training course (ok it has 2 seats and i drive then you drive) and he spent the summer driving with no problems. once off the rock truck he got tossed in every piece of equipment that buddy barry owns because he showed up to work everyday. a training school to me should have the newest equipment because that is what the companies are leasing. the older stuff should be learned when there is no other equipment around and that is what you get to drive today.

my reasoning for my views on this is i waited 5 years to take machine shop course at the college, i entered at the age of 18 and the first month we did nothing. the teacher never talked to us and we watched him build brass canons which he gave away to gov guys. if we asked him what he was doing he just flicked his smoke and told us to be quiet. after 4 months of this 90% of the class went and seen the dean at the school. the dean told us that nothing can be done because the teacher is very close to retirement. after the meeting with the dean, 90% of the class quit and got on with their lifes. the 10% that stayed could not get a job as machinests because they were not trained as machines. i touch base with the 90% guys once in a while and we have all done good in their lives. some are machinests and other are machinests as hobbiest.

i express my views because i want HEO Girl to be successfull as if she was one my five daughters.
ok, i'll step off my soap box now.

thansk
KoO
Published Author

HEO Girl

Occupation
HEOGirl that reminds me of the old song Girlschool by Britny Fox. Brings back memories of when I was your age. LOL!
Lol. I used to have a cassette player. Never heard that song before but I actually like it.

What kind of excavator is in the back there?Love me some old Komatsus! Looksmlike you are havin fun.Rember,if its not fun--Its work!
To be honest I'm not sure. I'll let you know Tuesday when I get back to the pit. I'll even try and get a picture of it for you. I am having a blast.

King of Obsolete - I understand what you are saying. I am doing the best with what I have and what I have right now is this school. This school is a whole lot better then nothing and will get my foot in the door of this industry. Had I not takin this route I would still be sitting on my butt wishing and dreaming of the day someone just might give me a chance. I know way more now then I did when I walked into this school. I did look into other schools like the 2 year one in Penn. but it was way to rich for my blood. And I know I will be successful because I'm just to damn stubborn to give up :tong.

HEO Girl

Occupation
Here you go 580bruce
0928001128.jpg
It's a PC150 incase you can't really see the picture that good.

0928001028a.jpg
Good old Brigadier back in action! Rode in it all day today. The clutch brake doesn't exist so going into first from neutral is awful. Pretty much shifting into any gear is awful with that truck unless your loaded. It also doesn't have any heat. The heat you get comes off the engine and it will just about roast you out of the cab, especially on a day like today when it wasn't cool but extremely muggy.

0928000754.jpg
Even got it's own name plate on the inside :D.

580bruce

That is a pc-150-3.Too bad it isnt a -5,way better.Good old hoe though.Once you get used to and old Komatsu,you will always like Komatsu!

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
Who is that pulling up their pants behind the GMC?Bet there is a story there:)).Ron G

Komatsu 150

<<Good old Brigadier back in action! Rode in it all day today. The clutch brake doesn't exist so going into first from neutral is awful. Pretty much shifting into any gear is awful with that truck unless your loaded. It also doesn't have any heat. The heat you get comes off the engine and it will just about roast you out of the cab, especially on a day like today when it wasn't cool but extremely muggy.>>

Our 80ish Brigadier with the goofy chrome shift knob and lever had a push button clutch brake on the shift lever. Any chance it's the same? The brake was strange but they really couldn't wear out.