• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

PH 5700. My early days.

Ironbark

Memories, what a machine. They dont build them like this any more? Electricity plus steel ropes = more than any hydrolic excavator can do these days? I know, I'm getting old. Check out the old Terex!!! Two passes , I mean one and a bit???? and was running over!!!! Whah, hooo, Cheers, Ironbark.

BLOOMFIELD EARLY DAYS 5700.jpg

Ironbark

In fact she was that good that the company, when they were released, invested in a brand new fleet of Cat 789's, and still the PH 5700 waited? and waited, and waited some more? Crosswords were a time filler if the dump was a little far away?? Cheers, Ironbark.

BLOOMFIELD 5700 WAITING.jpg

Last edited:

Ironbark

Bogged! A week or two of heavy rain doesnt help production? D 10 moving cable so the rear dump can reverse out of the slurry.

Bloomfield 5700 cable move..jpg

Wick

Occupation
Heavy vehicle mechanic/engineer
Great pics Ironbark, what an awesome machine, hear whatcha say about electricity and steel ropes, I have an old '57 model diesel electric 12 ton coles crane, which I believe was used on the snowy mountains scheme, still use it occasionally, as far as smoothness of operation goes would leave our much later hydraulic crane for dead, and no creep if you leave it parked.

Ross

Nice pics mate .. Post more.

But in reality .. The 5700 was always to big to load trucks never mind little one .. Imagine the pain in the box when it dropped the first bucket .. Not to mention load ratio / factor which is out to lunch.

Bet an XPC would be blowing the horn before this shovel could even drop the second pass.

Ironbark

Originally Posted by Ross
"Nice pics mate .. Post more.

But in reality .. The 5700 was always to big to load trucks never mind little one .. Imagine the pain in the box when it dropped the first bucket .. Not to mention load ratio / factor which is out to lunch.'

Bet an XPC would be blowing the horn before this shovel could even drop the second pass.
G'day Ross.

Get this. The company purchased a few Cat 789's carried two buckets ok. If one broke down they send send over a couple of Cat. 777's to take their place?? Yep, &&&'s under the P&H 5700. One half bucket was all they would cary. Had to lower the bucket slowly into the body of the 777, resting the lower edge on the floor, trip the door and slowly raise and jib out so as not to hurt the truck operator break anything. The P&H 5700 averaged 100 tons of rock per pass. The Cat. 789's carried 2 buckets, the Cat 777's, 70 ton capacity carried one half to 3/4 of a bucket.

Last edited:

Ironbark

http://
CAT789777-1-1.jpg

alco

Get this. The company purchased a few Cat 789's carried two buckets ok. If one broke down they send send over a couple of Cat. 777's to take their place??

This might help some folks understand just how much of a mismatch that really is.

Attachments

• image002.jpg
    image002.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 3,076

Ironbark

Thats it, scary stuff. Shovel dropped as many rocks off the teeth as she got into the 777 she had to get down so low. And they were large because they were saving on explosives and drilling the shot holes one hundred yards apart. And when trucks broke down, they would have used wheel barrows if they could have gotten away with it? LOL.

Last edited:

Gavin84w

The way thats flowing over the teeth with what i would think is a lot finer material they might have done better to do that first to pad the big stuff. I remember 1 night at Wambo they were digging the sandstone cap off the top of the coal seem and they did not blast through to coal and i heard the digger driver say to the truckie, "Hang on, got a big one comin in" and next he goes, :what did that go?" 76 was the reply so a nice little gooly the PC5500 put in the 830.

Ironbark

The 7495HF has a 80 yard bucket. The P&H 5700 we had I was told by the engineer on site had a 90 yard bucket. Now I cannot back that up, I never measured it, I just believed what I was told?

alco

Well similar bucket size but the 5700's are the largest 2 crawler shovels ever made. I think the Largest Aussie machine ran an 80yd + Bucket.

The 7495HF has a 80 yard bucket. The P&H 5700 we had I was told by the engineer on site had a 90 yard bucket. Now I cannot back that up, I never measured it, I just believed what I was told?

I'm not sure what they were upgraded to over the years, but the largest bucket put onto one of the 5700s at time of delivery was a 60 yard bucket on the Bloomfield machine. The two XPAs were both delivered with 57.5 yard buckets, the Chicago had a 28 yard bucket as a dipper dredge, and a 50 yard clamshell, and the original 5700LR had a 25 yard bucket.

there are only 7 in the world I heard. correct?

There were actually only 5 ever built.

Personally, I'd like to see them do a full set of upgrades to the design and build an XPC version. Anybody wanna guess what size bucket one of those would swing? I would think it would be a head to head competitor with Cat/Bucyrus' proposed 795.

Last edited:

Ross

Sure I read somewhere that the largest bucket fitted to a two crawler shovel is 82yrd and it's pinned to a 4100 XPB in Wyoming? still retaining its 120 ton rating.

Would be nice to see an AC upgrade but it would probably cost more than a XPC and would still lagg behind IMO.

No idea what max size a 5700 could throw around but it's limited to three passing 360 metric ton trucks.

alco

Would be nice to see an AC upgrade but it would probably cost more than a XPC and would still lagg behind IMO.

No idea what max size a 5700 could throw around but it's limited to three passing 360 metric ton trucks.

I'm more interested in seeing an XPC version of the 5700 built. I think with the increase in truck sizes....such as the latest 400 ton trucks, a larger shovel to load them in 3 passes or less, would be a real winner. Especially since it's commonly thought that a larger shovel, would spawn larger trucks. So a new 5700XPC would be able to compete with the proposed BI/Cat 795 shovel.

Heck, rumour has it there is a very large prototype hydraulic hybrid coming up here in the next little while. I guess only time will tell if that's true or not, but they're talking about an 80 yard bucket.......hmmmmmm.

Ross

A 5700 XPC would be awesome but I don't think they would reference it to a newer, larger unit. Maybe a 5100 XPC would be better. As you know haul truck capacity is limited to tire size, don't think they would go down the tandem route again. Maybe increase to 400 metric.

Also, it wouldnt be viable to slam 180 metric ton into the back of a 797 for a two pass cycle. It would destroy the truck and hurt the OP. A 120 metric pass (133 US) would be the better option. I don't know what cubic yard bucket size that would be?

80 yd hybrid mmmm Am sure you will spill the beans if it ever gets built?