• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Peterbuilt question

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
I never really shifted out of deep reduction while moving, but thought you weren't supposed to preselect it
I do it like a 13 or an 18. I never shift down with the LL. Most situations are hauling out of soft conditions, or pulling away on a steep hill. Depending on the situation, and the truck, I might pull out in low low, shift up 2 or 3 gears, then bring myself to the point of the next shift, and release the throttle, and move the selector into the regular position. There are some trucks I find, I have to do the same, but bring it into neutral, and back into the same gear, or if I am losing speed quickly, I might do the same, and drop a gear as well.

Truck Shop

Any truck that that has 3.73's with .87 13spd is 84 mph with 22.5 low pro.
Now a dump truck that will turn triple digits, is stupid. As a matter of fact any truck that will
run over 80 is totally unnecessary. Especially when there are thousands and thousands of
drivers that can barely tie their shoes let alone drive a commercial vehicle at any high rate
of speed.

Tyler d4c

Has 11rs on it much like you said ts it is pretty worthless for a dump truck would be nicer at times with 410s but it does what we need just fine
Screenshot_20240120_171128_Chrome.jpg

BC Placer gold

IH 9200 C12 with 13sp (14713 double overdrive), 24.5’s, 4.30 ratio is at 1500 at 100km/h. Suits us well as really good fuel economy. We just use for light duty though.

Really liking the 8LL in the dump; definitely way more of ‘creeper’ in low than the 9200. The 9200 has been in steep country off-road though, and has never lacked for low gearing….

Just an owners opinion/experience, not an expert by any means lol!