• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Perkins 6.306 oil pressure problem

Plant Fitter

I am trying to sort out a problem with a Perkins 6.306. It is in an old Chamberlain 306 tractor, but I guess the problem could be common to other applications of the same engine. I believe the engine is much the same as the 6.354.

When it is left for more than a day or so, it takes a long time to pick up oil pressure after startup, sometimes it takes 30 or 40 seconds of idling.

When it does pick up, it has good oil pressure.

If started up within a few hours of being run, it picks up oil pressure after only a couple of seconds like you would expect.

The problem began to appear after the last oil and filter change. The previous filter was so old that there was no numbers left on it to identify it. It was replaced at the oil change with a Sakura C1121 (Ryco Z9 equivalent). I suspected that the Sakura filter maybe didn't have an anti drain back valve, so swapped it with a Wix 51515, which I am told has an anti drain back valve inside it. However the problem is still happening.

The engine runs very well and I would hate to see it ruined from dry starts.

Anybody else ever seen this before? Anybody got any ideas?

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
The recomended filter on that engine is a Wix 51806, maybe try one of them (or it's equal in another brand)?

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
That Donaldson & Perkins number cross to the Wix 51806 filter. They not only have an anti-drainback valve, they also have a "standpipe" inside them. The Wix 51515 is not the right filter for that application.

Plant Fitter

DSC05290.jpg

Thanks for the replies,

I have now fitted a Wix 51806. Before fitting I looked inside of it and it has the standpipe inside of it.

The problem still exists. Leave it for a day or more and it takes forever to build up oil pressure. Start it up anytime within a few hours of it having been running, and you get good oil pressure straightaway.

Any ideas for what to look at next?

Last edited:

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
My idea is that aftermarket filters are always a crap shoot as to whether they have the right features and the features work right. Try to find an OE filter or try a different brand.

partsandservice

Don't know the Perkins but I would say oil pressure sending unit( if electrical ), oil pressure regulator, or worn oil pump.

Construct'O

Occupation
Dozerwork,tiling plus many more!!!!!!!
Might have a build up of slugg on the oil pickup screen of the oil pump.Might need to drop the pan clean or replace.Bearings might be getting worn enough to be causing this also_Oil pump getting wore also.Good luck

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
I never seen what temperatures you are operating in but if you have the type that has the small oil sending line from the engine to the gauge it will take some time to overcome the friction in the line to raise the gauge. That was real common a few years ago with the equipment of the time. A few of my old machines take at least a minute or two to come up on the gauge. Most of the newer machine have electric gauges that do not have this issue. After being shut down a short while the oil is still fluid and the pressure rise at the gauge is quicker. Thicker oil affects them more also.

22a

Had a 306 with the same problem, replaced the oil pump , did not make any difference.
On a Chamberlain 306 the switch for the alternator exciter is controlled by oil pressure , on start up watch the amp meter, it will show charge as soon as the switch is pressurised.
After having replaced the oil pump I started to watch this and noticed the amp meter showing charge before the oil gauge registered.

Tinkerer

Plant Fitter; Is your gauge an electrical one ? 22a's post indicates it may be. If it is, remove the electrical sending unit and hook up a mechanical gauge. That will eliminate any electrical issues you may have with it. I have used a grease gun hose with proper fittings to do this simple test when I had problem with an engine that had a red light only for an oil pressure indicator. I had to replace the oil pump.

Plant Fitter

Thanks for the replies. The gauge is mechanical. It does have a separate pressure switch to get the alternator going. When the oil pressure does come up on the gauge, the engine changes its sound slightly, and the alternator light comes on (doesn't charge at idle speed). All 3 things happen at once, so I am pretty sure it is not a gauge problem.