• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

PC228 Komatsu ?

JBGASH

Occupation
Plumbing & Excavation Contractor / farmer
Am looking at a PC228 Komatsu excavtor with 3500 hrs on it, anyone have comments / advice on the machine good or bad. The machine is fairly tight without excess wear or slop.
Thanks

SeaMac

Occupation
Operator
Are you talking PC228USLC? I have operated one doing underground utility work and thought it performed extremely well. It would swing very quickly and its hydraulics responded quickly and I found it to be a very stable machine. It's speed enabled me to dig and lay over 1000' of C900 per day, of course there was a pipe crew who helped. I do not know the exact specs but for such a compact machine it had considerable weight and could lift anything I attempted with ease.

buckfever

Never ran the 228 but have put some hours on a 308. I thought the hydros were a little slow but man did it have power. Just be careful after running a reduced tailswing ex for a while going back to a stander tailswing. Objects are closer then they appear.

JBGASH

Occupation
Are you talking PC228USLC? I have operated one doing underground utility work and thought it performed extremely well. It would swing very quickly and its hydraulics responded quickly and I found it to be a very stable machine. It's speed enabled me to dig and lay over 1000' of C900 per day, of course there was a pipe crew who helped. I do not know the exact specs but for such a compact machine it had considerable weight and could lift anything I attempted with ease.
It is Pc228 USLC model.

JBGASH

Occupation
What attachments does it come with
It does not have any attachments, and is not plumbed for a breaker or thumb. I would need to install the plumbing and put a thumb on it. The price on it is $46500.00

j.r.

Occupation
hoe operator
There good machines. I never cared much for the cab but that has nothing to do with how they run. We have done more with them then I ever thought possible for a machine of its size.

SeaMac

Occupation
Operator
Like I said in an earlier post, they are pretty darn capable excavators for their compact size. I thought the cab was a tad cramped myself but at least the a/c worked and the stereo kicked butt!
There good machines. I never cared much for the cab but that has nothing to do with how they run. We have done more with them then I ever thought possible for a machine of its size.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
A PC228 with 3500 hours for $46,500? You should jump on that deal if it's in good shape and it's not grey market. What year model is it?

buckfever

I've noticed that most of the reduced tail swing ex's have realy cramped cabs. Also not a big fan of how the left control arm tips up.

JBGASH

Occupation
A PC228 with 3500 hours for $46,500? You should jump on that deal if it's in good shape and it's not grey market. What year model is it?
CM it is a 2001 model machine that has minor scratches but overall is in excellent condition.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Is there a way to check the computer on a PC228 and verify the hours? Do you know the history of the machine and the previous owner(s)?

If the hours are true and it's in good shape, I don't see how you could go wrong.

j.r.

Occupation
hoe operator
Is there a way to check the computer on a PC228 and verify the hours? Do you know the history of the machine and the previous owner(s)?

If the hours are true and it's in good shape, I don't see how you could go wrong.

this made me think of something. we have had the displays go out on these machines and the hours are on the display without a seperate hour meter.defintyl confirm hours.

rpacbigpipe

I've put in lots of sewer and water pipe with our 228 great machine very fast for a komatsu and extremely smooth. plenty of power for its size be careful lifting because it will pick more than it can handle.

JBGASH

Occupation

I do not know how to verify the hours nor do I know the owner or history of the machine. When I looked at it it appears to me to have the 3500 hours as he says. I am thinking of having it looked at by a dealer to see about verifying the hours and to see if I am overlooking anything.

linc_man

Jump on it! We demo with ours and wouldn't trade it for the world. We actually traded a 200-7 komatsu on it and haven't looked back since. The zero tail swing is very stable and comes in very handy. My only complaint is the seat but im just picky sometimes.