• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Pattern change on Hitachi EX300

d9gdon

Can someone tell me how to change to excavator pattern on a Hitachi EX300LC-3C? I think it's set up to backhoe style now.

spitzair

Squamish BC (Home), Slave Lake, AB (Work)
If it's anything like an EX200 then it's pretty easy. You'll need to open the door behind the cab. Down on the bottom of the compartment will be two rectangular blocks with a bunch of hoses going in each, and a few wires too. The block closest to the compartment door is the one you want, or at least it was on my machine. I don't know now off hand which hose is which but you'll be able to trace it out to your spool valve fairly easily. Simply follow the lines from your boom and your stick to your main control valve, then see which pilot lines (the small ones coming from the cab) operate the stick and which operate the boom. There will be 2 for each circuit. Follow these lines back to the block you see in the picture. Now comes the important part. Mark all the hoses you're going to remove. That way you'll be able to switch 'em back if things go south. You'll want to disconnect them and switch them on the cab side of the block because it's got some sensors in there that I'm not quite sure what they do but if you switch the lines on the valve side of the block you'll have other issues. When you go to mark the lines, you may have gotten lucky and somebody had them marked before because I'm pretty sure that the backhoe style isn't standard on these machines. Again, ensure they're marked. On my machine they were, but I can't remember which colours were where. Swap the pilot lines that go to the top of your spool valve with each other, and then swap the lines that go to the bottom of the valve with each other. I believe, but again I can't be sure, that the top lines on the block swap with each other and the bottom ones swap with each other, but you'll have to make sure by tracing them back to the spool valve. Once you have it switched, jump in and give it a try. When I installed my JD/Cat switch that you see in the pictures, I had the stick lines on the JD setting backwards and the stick would retract when you moved the lever forward. A simple line switch fixed this. Hope this helps, and don't hesitate to ask if you need any more clarification. Hope the picture helps, it's the only one of that area I have...

Attachments

• HPIM7012 (Small).JPG
    HPIM7012 (Small).JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 1,333

d9gdon

OK, that helps a lot. I think I can print this out and figure it out in the field. This 300 doesn't have any hoses in the compartment behind the cab, but we found the manifold under the sheet metal right in front of the hood. I can't figure out why they didn't put them in this big empty compartment though.

Thanks

tool_king

Occupation
road mechanic owner
d9gdon
The compart behind the cab is meant to store you cab glass guards.I have a piture of which lines to switch .I will post it when I get home.

d9gdon

That makes sense. I didn't have but a minute to look at it today, but it seems that you can get to it better from underneath?

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
If you end up switching pilot hoses at that manifold, be sure and switch lines on cab side of manifold, not main valve chest side of manifold, you'll mess up pressure switch functions if you switch lines on the valve chest side of manifold.

d9gdon

Yeah I will. That's funny these things didn't come with pattern changers. Boy is it fun trying to run it. I'm glad there's no high line wires around, I'd have them all swatted down. I literally can't hit the ground with it, and I wasn't alone. What a tough old thing this is, it won't quit. It's rough as a cob though, no easy life.

I remember having to swap hoses on a 2008 Hyundai 450 when they first came out. I guess the international standard(pattern changers) hadn't been ironed out at that time or has it even been done yet? Seems like there were 5 or 6 ways to set it back then according to the book.

jderrow81

I am working on a ex 200 lc-5. The guy running it switched it to backhoe mode by swapping lines but he didnt label anything. Being the only mechanic on the farm, its my responsibility to switch it back. I found the valve block under the left hand side of the machine, but i cant figure out which hoses to swap. I tried viewing the links posted in the forum but they either are not working or i am not doing something right. Any help would be appreciated.