• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

PAT blades pushing trees.

illinoisboy

Occupation
contractor
This assuming their is no hoe onsite, ,,, much faster and more efficient with a hoe, as well as safer and disturbs the site less than building ramps,,,, but either way, I have used both semi u and pat blades for jobs. You use the tools you have available to get it done. . I agree the sound of a pat creaking when pushing on a tree makes me cringe a bit. However the blade on my D5M would probably take more abuse than the gutless powerplant in it could ever put on it. ..

Dickjr.

Your D5M must have had an issue with the engine. The same power plant is used in the 6N and 963 which are considerably heavier machines , the 63 being the heaviest. I felt like the 63C was underpowered. The 5M I had seemed to have plenty of power as well as the 953C which is heavier than a 5M. If you got rid of it that quick in the mid 40s you did good. Someone else's problem now. I've cleared a lot with a VPAT , push in the center of the blade spreads the stress.

illinoisboy

Occupation
contractor
If it had an issue with the engine, I didn't know it. It always ran like that ever since I got it. I wouldn't sell something to anyone if there was any issues with it. At under 5000 hours in excellent shape, if it wasn't with 40s then CAT must not have that great of resale. I assume the engine was capable of more output but cat had it detuned too much.

Last edited: