• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

PARTS, PARTS, PARTS!!!

Glen Howard

Morning, hope i'm in the right thread. My company is in the process of redoing our parts room. Over the years we have accumulated a LARGE amount of new OEM CAT & Komatsu parts that no longer match our fleet. We have tried to work out returns with the OEM's but they are not cooperating the way we hoped. Does anyone know of a place or company that will buy for resale or broker these parts. we have considered EBAY and other auction venues but would prefer to sell in larger lots due to the amount we have on hand.
Thanks for any help/advise you can offer
Glen

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Might try giving an idea of what kinds of equipment these parts were for, like dozers, forklifts or stationary gen sets.

Glen Howard

I have stuff for mostly CAT 420D,E & F backhoes, Multiple size excavators 300.9 thru 335, and telehandlers and DD rollers

Welder Dave

Sounds opposite of Vetech's predicament. Curious why you have such a large number of these parts? I can see having a few spares of common things like belts and filters, etc. and replacing inventory when 1 is used but large numbers I think would be more what a large mining contractor with dozens of the same machine(s) might have.

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
Put all the parts that match one particular model of machine in together, bundle them on pallets, properly secured and wrapped for weather protection - then provide an accurate parts list showing what is on that pallet (part #'s and qty).
Take good photos of the parts prior to packaging, then put each pallet up for "offers" on eBay as a "bulk, wholesale lot". eBay gives you the widest exposure to potential buyers. The best offers should come from companies specializing in NOS parts and components. You may get satisfactory offers from small "wheeler-dealers".

As a guide, you can generally expect to get around 20%-25% of retail value, and the buyer normally sells at 40%-50% of retail value. Be aware that most people place the retail value of a part or component on the cheapest aftermarket source price for that part/component.
So, if the Cat price for one particular part is $500, but a potential buyer can acquire it in a satisfactory quality aftermarket deal for $250, then $250 is the "retail value", even though you're selling genuine Cat parts/components. Cat retail prices have large inbuilt margins for fat Caterpillar profits, and Cat research outgoings, and Cat senior employee perks and benefits.

The alternative to selling on eBay is the used equipment sites such as RockandDirt and Machinery Trader. The costs of selling on those sites is less than eBay, but the total market exposure is lower.
Remember that many parts change in pricing over the years, so find out current pricing. Also, engineering changes often make some parts/components useless, as they become obsolete due to the engineering change to a new design.
In addition, many potential buyers will purchase a different part or component to the original, if it's a part/component that will do the same job at lower cost. Typically, this is items such as external rear view mirrors, where an OEM mirror may be $300, but an alternative mirror can be fitted, that only costs $100.

nicky 68a

Over the years,I’ve generated various parts for Cat machines.
Many were included in inventories for equipment I ran.For instance,a pallet full of D8H parts may include some 966F parts etc.
Before long,I probably ended up with a 20’ container full of new in box Cat parts for loaders,excavators,traxcavators,scrapers and dozers.Obviously I kept all D8/D9 stuff,but tried to sell all the other stuff a few years ago.
It was all new with part numbers and probably worth a few quid.
The problem was,is that the new parts were for machines that were for machines 15 to 20 years old and nobody wanted them.I’m talking bearings,pistons,water pumps,prop shafts,lights,injectors,fan belts,gears,coolers etc.I spent a few years trying to sell them on e.bay or various machinery Facebook forums and failed miserably.
In the end,I offered the lot free of charge to anybody that would come to collect them.Guess what……….nobody.
Oh,I forgot to mention all the new in box Cat filters and hyd hoses that weren’t suitable for my tractors.
In the end,I threw them all in the scrap bin.I guessed around 3/5 tons in all.
If I recall,scrap was around £150 per ton at that time.
The parts themselves didn’t owe me any money,and selling them wasn’t really the point.In the end I tried to give them away ,but no luck.
Very sad to see them scrapped.

barrelroll

Occupation
Mill Mechanic
Build a sculpture out of them and sell it as "art".

The mine I work at is great at ordering the wrong parts, once we get the wrong parts they usually can't be returned and either end up in a conex to rust away or in the scrap bin. I suggested we build a misordered parts monster on the mill bench out of these parts. When the big wigs are here they'll ask why there's a monster sculpture on the mill bench and probably not be real impressed with the reason why though it might get their attention.

On a serious note there has to be some sort of reseller who wants them, I just don't know how you find them. When I worked in Colorado there was a guy who bought and sold mining equipment. He would pick the parts and equipment up for pennies and make a decent penny flipping it. I'm not sure how you find a heavy equipment version of him. He had connections all over the world and a lot of his stuff went into conexs to be shipped out of the country.

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
Auction houses are your last resort for getting rid of unwanted parts. Today, you don't even need to ship them to the auction house premises, they just take photos and sell them online with the proviso, the parts are sold as-is, where-is, and the buyer comes and picks them up from your location.

Filters are relatively unsaleable, simply because new filters are so cheap (even OEM), and filters are not guaranteed for any longer than 12 mths.

I "dusted" the engine in my 930 loader once, the fine black dust simply went through both primary and secondary filters.
I complained bitterly to the Cat dealer, they asked to see the filters - and they were over 5 years old and the primary had been cleaned more than once, so Cat simply rejected any claim for engine damage.

So you can have a brand new filter that is a couple of years old, and lots of people will simply not take the risk of damaging an expensive engine simply to save $20 or $30 on a NOS filter.

Tyler d4c

Over the years,I’ve generated various parts for Cat machines.
Many were included in inventories for equipment I ran.For instance,a pallet full of D8H parts may include some 966F parts etc.
Before long,I probably ended up with a 20’ container full of new in box Cat parts for loaders,excavators,traxcavators,scrapers and dozers.Obviously I kept all D8/D9 stuff,but tried to sell all the other stuff a few years ago.
It was all new with part numbers and probably worth a few quid.
The problem was,is that the new parts were for machines that were for machines 15 to 20 years old and nobody wanted them.I’m talking bearings,pistons,water pumps,prop shafts,lights,injectors,fan belts,gears,coolers etc.I spent a few years trying to sell them on e.bay or various machinery Facebook forums and failed miserably.
In the end,I offered the lot free of charge to anybody that would come to collect them.Guess what……….nobody.
Oh,I forgot to mention all the new in box Cat filters and hyd hoses that weren’t suitable for my tractors.
In the end,I threw them all in the scrap bin.I guessed around 3/5 tons in all.
If I recall,scrap was around £150 per ton at that time.
The parts themselves didn’t owe me any money,and selling them wasn’t really the point.In the end I tried to give them away ,but no luck.
Very sad to see them scrapped.
I would have gladly gave them a caring home.
Build a sculpture out of them and sell it as "art".

The mine I work at is great at ordering the wrong parts, once we get the wrong parts they usually can't be returned and either end up in a conex to rust away or in the scrap bin. I suggested we build a misordered parts monster on the mill bench out of these parts. When the big wigs are here they'll ask why there's a monster sculpture on the mill bench and probably not be real impressed with the reason why though it might get their attention.

On a serious note there has to be some sort of reseller who wants them, I just don't know how you find them. When I worked in Colorado there was a guy who bought and sold mining equipment. He would pick the parts and equipment up for pennies and make a decent penny flipping it. I'm not sure how you find a heavy equipment version of him. He had connections all over the world and a lot of his stuff went into conexs to be shipped out of the country.
The resaler didn't go by the name of pual spedding by chance did he?

colson04

We've got this problem at the farm. We have parts for the last 2 or 3 planters we've owned, along with misc other parts to machines and implements long gone. I cleaned out the tool shed about 15 years ago and got rid of parts to stuff we no longer owned, but its crept up on us again.

Truck Shop

I just went through same scenario a year ago cleaning out old shop inventory-stuff related to equipment
years and years before. Was offered about 5 cents on the dollar, wasn't worth letting people rat pick.
Out to the scrap ben it went, but not before I torched or drilled a hole in the lot.

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
In 40 years time, those NOS parts you sent to scrap will be fought over by restorers, and they'll bring multiple hundreds of dollars per part. How I'd love to have been around the NOS parts scrap bins at the end of WW2!