• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Parking brake won't release on Cat 287b

windowbarn

Have a cat 287b that seems too not be releasing the parking brake. The light goes off on the monitor but when you go too move the skidsteer it makes this terrible screeching noise and won't hardly go. Sometimes you can hear a pop like something releases and then it works fine. I'm pretty sure it must be related too the parking brake deal?? Any ideas

JeremiahSr

Occupation
Vice Pres./General man./Technician
If light is going out you have to believe the electrical is good. It could be coil but usually when it is shorted bad enough to not work it will throw a code and turn on the light. Could be several things. If both sides are locked i wouldnt think its the brake piston seals. They are independant of each other and normally dont go out at the same time. I would lean towards the little spool in the park brake solenoid cartridge. After removing the solenoid coil...the (stem) or cartridge can be removed. It is kinda hard to tear this piece down. It is fine threaded and lock tite'd. There is only a small gap between o-ring grooves to get it unscrewed. It is not necessarily this component...but it is the most likely. Let us know what you find. Good luck.

Attachments

• g01121017.gif
    g01121017.gif
    5.6 KB · Views: 3,248

JeremiahSr

Occupation
Also.......The 259-8194 VALVE GP-SOLENOID -PARKING BRAKE
for these serial number machines: ZSA630-UP; CYC509-UP; MDH1997-UP cost $35.23 where im at. Not a bad expense to eliminate this first.

JeremiahSr

Occupation
Raise the cab...i think it is in mid section behind left joystick. I need your exact serial number and i can get a pick of exactly what it looks like.

DTC001

Hello i am new to this so any any advice would be help full , thanks .
So he is what's going on , i am trying to help my father with his cat 287B rubber track skid steer . I have a mechanical background of working on big trucks , equipment & farm machinery . The machine has worked fine up until this point , i will try to explain the best i can. He was using the 287B at the time on the farm to put out hay for cartel , while in travel he noticed that it came to a quick stop one time but seamed to work fine after that , the next issue came later . He was using it and had set the park brake , when he went to release park brake it would not release , after working the brake release switch a few times it released and he traveled a few 100 yards where it came to a stop. It starts and runs good , the boom and bucket controls work as normally would , the light for park brake stays on also the exclamation point light stays on. We replaced the park brake release switch but did not help. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated . I do apologize for the lengthy description . Thanks

caterpillarmech

Occupation
Field Service Supervisor
I would start with the interlocks. Seat switch is on the right front side. There are two wires going to the switch I have seen the terminals get loos on these. The second switch is on the arm. It is located at you right shoulder when in the seat. Reset the 4 pin connector and see what happens.