• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Owners, Superintendents. Please Take Time To Read.

YoungOne

Those of you that don't know i previously made a thread called " young man trying to get started " Well right now i have made the choice to post this thread. I would really appreciate it if owners, superintendents, experienced operators, and anyone else willling to would take time to read this thread. Thank you.

The biggest question in the world for me right now is this. How come i can't ride by an excavator working without stopping, watching, and asking if they need help? How come it is the same thing for bulldozers. How come it is the same thing for any piece of construction equipment that has hydraulics.

Now the real question is this: Why am i working at WAL-Mart?

Hours this month at Wal-mart ( checks every two weeks )

First two weeks 118 hours
Last two weeks 126 hours.

Killing myself to make almost nothing... Dreaming about the equipment i know how to run. And would like to learn more about operating. Only if i had that oppurtunity. Being a heavy equipment operator in the ARMY!:usa and taking 12 weeks of and 300 hours of schooling to be certified in this equipment. I love it, i love the industry. I worked in it for a small ammount of time with a small contractor. But then i had to leave for army training, for the summer. And when i came back that contractor didnt have enough work to keep me hired. And I completely understand that.

Now I am willing to pack up and move, for the chance to operate, labor, and learn about this industry. I would love to state in the state of Virginia. But other states are SERIOUSLY a REAL option for me. I just need a contractor that understands that i know about the equipment, i just need to learn about the industry and what needs to be done where. You all know what i am saying right? I am willing to run a shovel 100 hours a week if i have to. I have no problem working NOT at all. That's the soldier in me. My old employer told me one day when i asked him " Sir i know i was supposed to go home three hours ago but is there anything else i can do " And he gave me a look like WTF this kid wont go home. :D and said to me " Son when i hired you, You were still in highschool and i wondered if i could actually get you to work, now i worry that i am not paying you enough. " I laughed and said " yeah well you dont have to pay me anything. I just want to learn."

That's what I want to do. Is learn, make a little money to get myself going in life. On the right path to where i can own a company of my own one day and help the construction industry that will never end. I'm not asking anyone to put me in a D5 dozer with 200 hours on it. I dont care if i have to jump it every morning somehow. I will do it just do the work. I'm just asking for a start. Dont think of this as begging. Just think of it as someone that knows they is worth it to someone. If someone will just go out on a bit of a limb and pick them up. Show them as they go kind of thing. Lose a little time showing me something, Make a little bit more money next time you dont have to. That's something I want to do. I want to make a man or company money at the same time i learn how to, and do run equipment, pour concrete. WHATEVER i have to do.

Thanks for reading that far. Now for a little bit kind of like an "application "

Michael Johnson
18 Years old. Charlotte Court House Virginia 23923
US ARMY ( national guard ) which means i would need off one weekend a month ( maybe a friday. ) and two weeks during the summer.

Experience: Two years United States Army. Heavy equipment operator. One year equipment operator/laborer for small contractor. Certified in Rubber Tire Backhoe, Track Excavator. And Bulldozer operations. I can run a loader/roller though. I can pour concrete productively. I may need a little help learning setting up forms etc. I would LOVE to learn how to run scrapers, Motor graders and move dirt with haul trucks. I am interested in running ANYthing with hydraulics.

I have constructed construction entrances and dug sedament ponds by myself. I have pictures but i cant get them to load. If you want i could try and send them to you by email.

Equipment i have ran : Cat Wheel loader, Bulldozer D3 D4 D5 D6 D7 D8. 450 LC ( Both hydrostatic and older machines. Excavator John Deere 270 LC ( civilian and military model. ) Cat 315,320,345. Rubber Tire Backhoe, CASE 5200 ( i think, it's the one the military uses. :beatsme ) CAT 420,416. Both joysticks and wobble sticks Roller. Ingersolland, Cat. Their all the same. Big and small. Mobile Crane!!!! 20ton,40 ton. ( military ).

Expected pay: Depends on living costs. Just because i want to learn, please dont think i want to work for free. i dont expect to make the same as operators who have been doing it for years. But i want to make it in life:) I made 8:00 a week at my old job. Still in school no complaints there. I brought home around 400 a week.

Phone: Private message me please. or contact me on AIM at playamwj12

Family: no kids or wife.

Biggest problems you might have with me : Showing up to work an hour early and I am already there. I am a soldier first, me running equipment in the army certainly wont hurt your business:D. Me working through my lunch break costing you a few more bucks. Me asking you " Why are we doing it that way, or what is that." Or the question I asked my other employer. " Is the day done already we only worked 10 hours. " :usa

I love to work. Honestly. Just looking for a place to go. And a chance to try.

Thank You so much for taking the time to read this.

-Michael-

:notworthy :usa

IH PULR

I would move to Fairfield County Ct. there always looking for good operators around here O&G , Tilcon, are some of the big union shops its always busy around here just a little expensive to live here good luck

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Young one - First of all great post. You really put your heart and soul out there and I commend you on that.

I have 2 guys that are in the NG and I have no problem with the 3 day weekends and 2 weeks a year - they are defending our country!:usa Both of my NG guys spent a year in Iraq. My general grade super is one of the guys in the NG and I just take up double duty, running the company and running the projects, when he is gone 2 weeks of the year - it's the least I can do.

You sound like the kind of guy I would hire in a heartbeat. I want to hire someone that actually wants to learn the business instead of just showing up for a paycheck.

If you were in my neck of the woods I would put you on the payroll tomorrow.

Good luck!

YoungOne

Young one - First of all great post. You really put your heart and soul out there and I commend you on that.

I have 2 guys that are in the NG and I have no problem with the 3 day weekends and 2 weeks a year - they are defending our country!:usa Both of my NG guys spent a year in Iraq. My general grade super is one of the guys in the NG and I just take up double duty, running the company and running the projects, when he is gone 2 weeks of the year - it's the least I can do.

You sound like the kind of guy I would hire in a heartbeat. I want to hire someone that actually wants to learn the business instead of just showing up for a paycheck.

If you were in my neck of the woods I would put you on the payroll tomorrow.

Good luck!

Thanks to the both of you for your replies.

Where would your neck of the woods be located? All that is really stopping me from leaving tomorrow would be. Having enough money to make it somewhere plus find an inexspensive place to stay until i got my first check.

And putting two week notice in at wal-mart. Out of respect, and if I ever need to go back.

One day i'm gonna make it. Y'all watch.:D

Wawrecker

As long as I could remember I always wanted to be involved with heavy equipment and trucks. For the longest time I thought I got screwed because un-like my friends who’s grand pa or other family member owned a construction company, no one in my family had anything to do with construction or heavy equipment, so I didn’t know how I was going to get there. I was working for a auto shop doing tires and oil changes when I was offered a job at the concrete cutting co next door to do the same for them. Well the first day on the job they were short handed in the field so out I went. 20 years old making $5.00 hr running a 90lb breaker, Two years later I was still running that 90lb’er but making $12.00 hr and stealing seat time in the skid steer every chance I got. The regular operators wouldn’t let me near the 150 Kobelco excavator, so I would let myself into the yard after hours and practice running the Kobelco loading make believe concrete into a make believe truck. After awhile I started picking it up. I could go on and on but the point is I just climbed the ladder, working as operator, to lead to Forman, to superintendent and then project manager. Today I own a demolition company doing approximately $3 mil in annual sales. You have to want it and make sure your behavior is consistent with achieving your goals and the world owes you nothing and life is not fair but get over it and don’t say it again. Be willing to work for peanuts, keep your mouth shut. Go get a job running a shovel, this will present an opportunity to run a backhoe and so on and so on. Some of the best operators were great labors because they know that the extra 5 minutes with the excavator might be 2 hours for that labor. So what are you waiting for?

YoungOne

Nice post wrecker.

Not waiting for anything but a chance, i've been trying at ALL the local construction companies, mine's hell even rail roads since i can run crane. And stuff. Once the oppurtunity comes i'm going to make a man happy one day when i sit up in that seat and move dirt, whether it be with my chinese backhoe * shovel * or with a CAT 315 or bigger maybe even smaller. I love the industry i have only spent about 3 years in. And i'm only 18 and ready to give what i have here up friends if i have to go go do that. To move dirt, make new friends, have great experiences. And have fun. WORKING.

-Michael-

Hooah!:usa

Grader4me

Thank you sir. Looking forward to operating alongside your grader one day:D possibly.

-Michael- Hooah!:usa

I was 16 years old when I got started in this business and I was full of enthusiasm just like you.
A certain person believed in me and gave me a try. I worked like there was no tomorrow as a labourer. When everyone else was taking a break I was working. Supervisor put me on a post hole digger (mounted on an old chevy truck, installing guide rail posts) and I did really well operating it. Next they put me on a backhoe, then driving a snow plow, then onto a grader( only 18 years old). Took the grader full time and operated it for 25 years or so. Now I train people on the backhoe, one person plow truck, grader etc.
My point is never give up, as I said in the previous post your day is coming, and you do bring back memories of how I was at your age.:)

YoungOne

I was 16 years old when I got started in this business and I was full of enthusiasm just like you.
A certain person believed in me and gave me a try. I worked like there was no tomorrow as a labourer. When everyone else was taking a break I was working. Supervisor put me on a post hole digger (mounted on an old chevy truck, installing guide rail posts) and I did really well operating it. Next they put me on a backhoe, then driving a snow plow, then onto a grader( only 18 years old). Took the grader full time and operated it for 25 years or so. Now I train people on the backhoe, one person plow truck, grader etc.
My point is never give up, as I said in the previous post your day is coming, and you do bring back memories of how I was at your age.:)

Well i am glad that i could bring you back to your younger days. And i am really glad that someone gave you a try. Just like i am sure someone will me one day:D And when that day comes it's going to be time for me to learn,work, and make a little money. Most importantly to me learn. Right now. I won't give up wal-mart sucks! It's so boring, and i have no problem telling them that. Not in a disrespectful way, just I am high energy and construction relaxes me. Because that's where i want to be.

-Michael-

Move down here to austin texas
You can start tomorrow
we are a small excavation company looking for young men with your enthusiasm
The owner is a great man to work for
D6N
d4
volvo 210ex
rubber tire loaders
backhoe
Cat skid steers

great pay and benefits $$$$

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Well i am glad that i could bring you back to your younger days. And i am really glad that someone gave you a try. Just like i am sure someone will me one day:D And when that day comes it's going to be time for me to learn,work, and make a little money. Most importantly to me learn. Right now. I won't give up wal-mart sucks! It's so boring, and i have no problem telling them that. Not in a disrespectful way, just I am high energy and construction relaxes me. Because that's where i want to be.

-Michael-

I understand - when you have construction in your veins there is nothing other than being a part of it that will satisfy that craving.:thumbsup :drinkup

YoungOne

Move down here to austin texas
You can start tomorrow
we are a small excavation company looking for young men with your enthusiasm
The owner is a great man to work for
D6N
d4
volvo 210ex
rubber tire loaders
backhoe
Cat skid steers

great pay and benefits $$$$

Year round work? Enough work to where there won't be any layoffs? Workthrough the winter? ( what's the winter like in texas? ) Pay/Benefits? Cost of living?

My biggest problems moving right now are these.

I NEED to put two weeks notice in at wal-mart incase i ever NEED to go back ya know? Out of respect too.

And finding a place to stay in for cheap until i get my first couple checks.

Thanks,

-Michael-

YoungOne

:( :( Went by a construction site today and seen a company putting a 1 foot clay fill in. And noticed the compactor wasnt being used ( roller ) And i knew that it would make it faster for them if they did the compacting at the same time as putting the fill in. Because the fill was being hauled by Rubber Tire Loaders, and not scrapers or articulated trucks.

So i went over and I introduced myself and everything. And i asked about that. And he told me ( this is the own now ) " Yeah we need alot of help, but we can't afford to train young kids like yourself that in five years will think you know everything. " I said " Well if you change your mind let me know sir. " And gave him my cell number.:pointhead

=/ I get this alot. And really dont understand why. Comments?

-Michael-

Woodstock

Yea, come down here to Texas. I live about 30 miles form Austin and could use help to. Good Luck. I guss you could say I was lucky my uncle has a construction co. and got to play and work since I was six. I only have a skid steer and a D4G.

YoungOne

Yea, come down here to Texas. I live about 30 miles form Austin and could use help to. Good Luck. I guss you could say I was lucky my uncle has a construction co. and got to play and work since I was six. I only have a skid steer and a D4G.

What's the cost of living like down there? What kind of jobs do you do. And could you use me year-round? I need things like that. Before i do anything you know.

Thanks man.

skidsteer i've never used.But believe i would love to learn how to. I'm willing to do ANYTHING to get started. I promise to make a man money, If he is willing to lose a little time/ MAYBE a few bucks showing me a few things.

-Michael-

pushcat

:( :( Went by a construction site today and seen a company putting a 1 foot clay fill in. And noticed the compactor wasnt being used ( roller ) And i knew that it would make it faster for them if they did the compacting at the same time as putting the fill in. Because the fill was being hauled by Rubber Tire Loaders, and not scrapers or articulated trucks.

So i went over and I introduced myself and everything. And i asked about that. And he told me ( this is the own now ) " Yeah we need alot of help, but we can't afford to train young kids like yourself that in five years will think you know everything. " I said " Well if you change your mind let me know sir. " And gave him my cell number.:pointhead

=/ I get this alot. And really dont understand why. Comments?

-Michael-

Well, I think you pretty much answered your own question. If an 18 year old kid came on my job and questioned how I was doing it, my answer wouldn't be near that polite. There very well could be a reason they are doing it that way. Maybe that area doesn't need to be compacted to a certain density, or maybe by running the loaders on the grade it will be compacted enough. Just because you have "seat time" doesn't make you an operator. I have worked with operator school graduates and I'll never hire another one. I've also worked with people with military experience and was not impressed. A former Marine that was so used to taking orders that he couldn't make the most simple decision, had to be supervised constantly. A National Guard Captain that was so damned bullheaded he wouldn't take orders, did everything his way, right or wrong. Hopefully you weren't in long enough for them to permanently damage you. Just learn to keep your opinions to yourself and do what your told and I'm sure you'll get along just fine.

nedly05

I admire your enthusiasm, desire, ambition...one thing people do not like is beiing questioned on how they are doing something. I have been around construction my whole life. When I am away from it I go looking for it, sometimes just sit and watch. I feel like I know a bit now. I have found that the best thing to do is just prove your self with your mouth shut, I know that it can be hard when you are so into it, but as a young buck you will get a "know it all" rep in a hurry. GOOD LUCK!!!

72V

Occupation
grader, cat, excavator hack
I agree with Pushcat. I've worked around a couple "graduates" of heavy equipment schools, and at least one guy with so-called military training.... and I couldn't see where they had much to show for all they said they could do. My point is, don't tout what a piece of paper says you've learned. Sometimes those places are the blind leading the blind.

One thing you'll find in common among equipment operators, myself included, is that they were laborers for other operators before they got any stick time. You'll learn more about cutting grade if you get the chance to check grade for an old hand, watching him to pick up his tricks, and picking his brain when he feels like talking.

It's not so much operating the machine, as much as it is knowing how to go about doing the job. A machine is just a tool to help you accomplish that.

YoungOne

Well, I think you pretty much answered your own question. If an 18 year old kid came on my job and questioned how I was doing it, my answer wouldn't be near that polite. There very well could be a reason they are doing it that way. Maybe that area doesn't need to be compacted to a certain density, or maybe by running the loaders on the grade it will be compacted enough. Just because you have "seat time" doesn't make you an operator. I have worked with operator school graduates and I'll never hire another one. I've also worked with people with military experience and was not impressed. A former Marine that was so used to taking orders that he couldn't make the most simple decision, had to be supervised constantly. A National Guard Captain that was so damned bullheaded he wouldn't take orders, did everything his way, right or wrong. Hopefully you weren't in long enough for them to permanently damage you. Just learn to keep your opinions to yourself and do what your told and I'm sure you'll get along just fine.

I'm really sorry how i posted that. I didnt really question what he was doing. I worded it wrong. I was wondering if i could fill the spot in the machine if needed.

-Michael-

Sorry again.