• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Overload of the Day

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Just need a dolly for the hitch
Isn't that wheel at the front of the trailer for, the one with the crank handle one it. Just crank it down till the truck rides level!

Dang! Now that I've said that someone will give it a try and post it on IdiotTube.

cfherrman

You guys ever see that pic or video where a guy used a trailer under a trailer and another trailer as a dolly and it got red tagged for some reason.

skyking1

My senior year we only needed the barest of excuses to get cut class.
@Truck Shop knows this location well. One of the guys tried to climb up on Manashtash between the Wenas and Ellensburg. There was a good crust on 3~4' of snow at that first ridge crest out of the Sheep Company road end, and he got on top----for a while. Then his little short bed F150 4x4 punched through, and it looked like somebody set a cut off cab and a canopy on the snow.
DSC_0397-3-scaled.jpg

One of the good guys chained his Jeep truck up and go get him out.
032419-1977-Jeep-J-10-Pickup-1.jpg

He was doing OK by all recollections until the chains broke on one side, and reached in and took off the brake line and tie rod.
This was on a Sunday.
Monday about half the class mobilized with shovels and snowmobiles, and I brought this crappy little old farm trailer up behind the '59 Apache Panel.'
Not my pictures but that was the color on the F150 and J10
59Apache-2-of-17.jpg

We lined the Jeep up with the trailer by kicking the floppy tire as we drove it up on there, then we strapped it down like a poor man's tow dolly. It was only a few miles to his farm and we got there in 3 pieces OK.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Wonder if my 2006 Ford Ranger would handle that load? A four banger and five speed manual should be just fine, Right!
I have a friend could show you how. He delivered 5 12' Black Locust logs 12" small end in the back of a OLD battered four cylinder Ranger. On another occasion he delivered 12 power poles 20 to 30 feet long in a borrowed trailer. He has a mini excavator I'd guess 3 ton, tows it in a dump trailer.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Hauling over weight is a industry, it sells tires, axles, bearings & seals, suspension parts,
brake parts, diesel pickups, equipment trailers. it's all part of capitalism these days.
Not the usual dually pickup story:
I'm an electrician First van I picked out myself was a 1976 Ford F150. Tires, wheel bearings, driveshaft universals, rear springs, brakes, were a near constant need.
After a few half tons, I switched to 3/4 ton, I get 50,000 from tires now, brakes last until the rotors blister from rust. Wheel bearings last 150,000.
Only real nightmare has been transmission, & torque converter. They have replaced torque converter 3 times, transmission once under warranty. I feel poor engineering, 8600 LB GVWR, 3.42:1 differential & double overdrive in trans. I've smartened up & only use drive on level roads, tow/haul nearly always, 100000 on this trans.

I sure expect short life of parts towing very heavy all the time.

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
I bought a new SWB F-100 4WD in 1977, fitted with the 302 V8 and a 4 speed manual transmission. It had no power steering, was fitted with 10 x 15 cross-ply (bias-ply) tyres and was the worst thing I'd ever driven.

You could hardly hold it on the road at speed, it would tramline all over the place. I cannot believe Ford Australia would release a vehicle that drove like it.
I ended up getting Ford to fit power steering to it, and I changed the tyres to Goodrich radials - all of which made it a far better vehicle to drive.
I suspect Ford also increased the front axle caster when they fitted the power steering.

It was very capable off road, with great ground clearance, and it could carry a surprising amount of weight.
I took off to the city from where I lived 285kms out in the Wheatbelt, to go pick up a new, full set of track shoes for one of my Cat D7's. The Cat dealer loaded them on, and the F-100 sat down quite a bit!

I made sure the pallet was right forward against the back of the cab, so the load was spread evenly between back and front axles.
I took off late, near dark, and got home late that night. I unloaded the next day, and then started thinking about exactly how much weight I really did have, in that full set of track shoes?

I went and looked up the specifications for the weight of one 22" extreme service shoe, and multiplied that weight by the number of shoes on the tractor - and I was stunned to find the F-100 had dragged home almost 2 tonnes (4400lbs) of new track shoes in that little load!!

She never really felt like she was overloaded, she handled well at highway speed, and the tyres handled it just fine. I guess spreading the load really helped.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Donner pass (I-80) has several tram line areas from snow chains but Cal-Trans is working to improve it.
I've been working over there a lot lately and they sure took their sweet time getting started, left it all summer and then made it into a rush emergency type job. It was because of the heavy snow and chain requirements all last 2 winters but from the look of it now, the repair window has closed.

As slow as I drive I always want to stay in the right lane, but up there I have taken to hanging out in the left and only moving over if somebody faster is coming. Can't stay on that rough aggregate for long.

terex herder

I drove i80 across Donner pass this winter. I thought at the time I'd never seen a concrete roadway that was in as good of shape as that but as heavily grooved. I never thought about tire chain damage. It's not something we do in Kansas.

skyking1

Tramlining as a term for following road groove has been a world wide term for years.
The one most don't hear or know is River Run.
my favorite is dog tracking. That office trailer has the axles on all kerflooey and I can see the whole side on the right just fine. I am going up to put some 1.5" flashing under the roof cap to kick the water out.
When asked if making it wider was bad, I replied that it already towed 9' wide and nobody cares if you put your trip permit on it and all the lights and brakes work.

boaterri

Occupation
Retired Television Engineer
I've been working over there a lot lately and they sure took their sweet time getting started, left it all summer and then made it into a rush emergency type job. It was because of the heavy snow and chain requirements all last 2 winters but from the look of it now, the repair window has closed.

As slow as I drive I always want to stay in the right lane, but up there I have taken to hanging out in the left and only moving over if somebody faster is coming. Can't stay on that rough aggregate for long.
Well of course it is an "emergency rush type job" that way they can suck all kinds of overtime out of the job.