• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Overheat. hitachi ex120-5

ray4one

Hi everyone,
My hitachi ex120-5 problem is within 30 minutes of works it become very hot. A friend of mine said it was the problem of waterpump. Please anyone who can help me.

dirtdobber1

Ray,

Have you checked the basics, such as coolant level and the ability of air to flow through the radiator?

Can you look into the radiator and tell if the water is circulating? Do not open the cap hot. Open cold and let the machine warm up with the cap off.

Is the fan belt tight?

ray4one

Hi Dirtdobber,

Thank you for your instruction, the water in the radiator didn't show any movement...

dirtdobber1

Ray,

If you let the machine get up to operating temp with the cap off, and saw no movement in the coolant, then I think you have a few options as to what is going wrong.

First, your friend could be correct in that something has gone wrong with the water pump and it's not pumping. The impellar has corroded perhaps? Does the coolant look brown and rusty, or is it green or reddish orange (depending on the antifreeze used)? Does the coolant look oily?

Next, the radiator could be stopped up internally. If the coolant is nasty, this could be a sign of corrosion which could stop up the radiator internally.

Third, and the place I would probably start, is with the thermostat. If the thermostat is stuck, it will keep the water from circulating and cause the engine to overheat pretty quickly. Should be quicker than 30 minutes, though, if the machine is put to work.

Also, do the gauges on this machine work and are you sure they are accurate?

Remember, I know nothing about your machine and what I am tellilng you are general principles as to how a cooling system works.