• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

overdrive ratio

crane operator

I've done it before with a 9 speed by counting rotations with it in top gear. But a 13 would get a little more complicated with the air and the back box.

All you should need is shop air to the regulator, and hooking up the shifter/air lines and you should be able to run it through the gears. Mark input shaft and output shaft and I always have to do it a couple times because I lose count. For me it helps if I've got one guy turning the front and I can count the rear, especially if he doesn't mind me counting out loud and holding out fingers.

Unless "sitting on the bench" means "sitting on the bench in pieces" which would mean counting teeth or part #'s. And a good book or transmission guy.

petepilot

I've done it before with a 9 speed by counting rotations with it in top gear. But a 13 would get a little more complicated with the air and the back box.

All you should need is shop air to the regulator, and hooking up the shifter/air lines and you should be able to run it through the gears. Mark input shaft and output shaft and I always have to do it a couple times because I lose count. For me it helps if I've got one guy turning the front and I can count the rear, especially if he doesn't mind me counting out loud and holding out fingers.

Unless "sitting on the bench" means "sitting on the bench in pieces" which would mean counting teeth or part #'s. And a good book or transmission guy.
its all together can air it up im thinking get in highest gear then count revs. output should give close guess. should be little less than 2 revs per 1 rev of input I think

Delmer

Use a string or fishing line to wrap around one shaft while turning the other ten times, the string is easier than keeping track of two numbers. Or wrap one ten times then turn until it's unwrapped while counting the other.

crane operator

I like to give it 10 turns just to average out any slop. There’s an online Eaton chart that shows all the top gear ratios.

I’ve never heard of, or tried that string method. Learn something every day

Truck Shop

RT's are 1.00
RTO's are 1.00-.87
RTLOA's are .86-.73
RTLOB's are 1.00-.85
My so many Eaton 13spd experts.
One photo of back section and I can narrow it down real easy.

It's easy to find straight through direct-1.00 input and output turn the same. So really only two
choices for overdrive ratios.
If it's a RTLO-18913--A model direct will be in 7th over 1.00, 7th under is 1.17 so in 8th direct
it's .86 in 8th over it's .73. one shaft will be turning slight less.
Contrary to belief the RTLO18913A is really a double overdrive box RTLO18918B's are double
overdrive boxes also.
And there you have it.

Last edited:

Truck Shop

best way to determine overdrive ratio with a 13 spd` sitting on the bench? tag is skinned up to bad to read
By the way I now have three perfect sets of external fuel lines for NH 220's and earlier, you were
wanting some a ways back- if you still need them let me know, also have model 20 Jacobs housings
for 220.

petepilot

By the way I now have three perfect sets of external fuel lines for NH 220's and earlier, you were
wanting some a ways back- if you still need them let me know, also have model 20 Jacobs housings
for 220.
interested in both items . where in the world did you find the jake housings, I have a set of later model housings also 30b`s i think will have to look

petepilot

RT's are 1.00
RTO's are 1.00-.87
RTLOA's are .86-.73
RTLOB's are 1.00-.85
My so many Eaton 13spd experts.
One photo of back section and I can narrow it down real easy.

It's easy to find straight through direct-1.00 input and output turn the same. So really only two
choices for overdrive ratios.
If it's a RTLO-18913--A model direct will be in 7th over 1.00, 7th under is 1.17 so in 8th direct
it's .86 in 8th over it's .73. one shaft will be turning slight less.
Contrary to belief the RTLO18913A is really a double overdrive box RTLO18918B's are double
overdrive boxes also.
And there you have it.
14-6 is what im workin with rto so should be .87

Truck Shop

With that type of air regulator, plus rear counter shaft bearing retainer covers and rounded
style case more than likely RTO14613 .87 overdrive.
But on the wildcard chance there was also the RTOO14613 which was a double overdrive,
with the tallest final ratio of .62.

Truck Shop

where in the world did you find the jake housings,
I have to look at them closer to make sure there three bolt cover type, An old guy that was in
the logging business going back to early 50's has a 40' semi trailer with a bunch of odds and
ends for old Cummins, I basically have the run of what ever, I pay him what he wants which
isn't much.

petepilot

With that type of air regulator, plus rear counter shaft bearing retainer covers and rounded
style case more than likely RTO14613 .87 overdrive.
But on the wildcard chance there was also the RTOO14613 which was a double overdrive,
with the tallest final ratio of .62.
This is the one I got from wash that's going back in.looks20231010_160311.jpg good through out this one also has a cooler pump

Last edited:

crane operator

I’ve got some thin sheets of steel 2’x8’. I like to put those on top of the plywood so the jack wheels don’t fall in and turn easily.

Pops52

Occupation
Worn out lowbed driver "retired"
By the way I now have three perfect sets of external fuel lines for NH 220's
Wow! I could have used one set several years ago, Couldn't find any so I repaired the one I had. Wasn't easy.. Bet you could name your price on those.