• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

over the tire tracks

Yellowdog

I've got a question for some of you who run over the tire tracks. I have been using a set of loegering over the tire "trailblazers" for about 7 years. They have held up and are now on my 4th tracked machine (an s300). I've noticed, since I started them on an s250 and now the 300, that the tracks tend to tear up the ground more and more. This wasn't as noticeable back when I ran them on 863's. At first I attributed it to the lighter weight and shorter wheelbase of the 863's but now think that maybe there is a better track out there that would not turn over shallow soils.
I work mostly in rocky areas in s. Central Texas hill country where the soils are shallow, full of stumps, and soft, almost sandy dirt (when dry). I also push and grade a lot of aggregate materials.

Any experiences with other steel tracks? I tried a set of grousers with bolt on pads but the pads broke off all the time.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

earthwerks

OTT tracks

What's the chance the front tire is larger than the rear or vice-versa? I gotta think that if the front is larger for whatever reason--made that way or pressure isn't right, that would cause the track to bunch up in the middle which would tear up grass. Here's my theory: This depends on weight distribution/load and the direction of travel-- this may be ocurring only in one direction. For example, with a heavy load and taller front tire it may not be as noticeable because the front tire is pulling the track faster than the rear and it slips over the rear tire. But same scenario unloaded and weigh on the rear tire the track may start bunching up becuse it can't push the track fast enough to the front which may slipping. Just my thoughts...

I bought my set of light-weight alloy steel ones from TracksPlus.com for about$1200 new for my New Holland LS180 which weighs about 7,800lb. and shoes are 16.25" wide. The tracks weigh about 550lb for two complete sets They work great and are easy on and off because they are light-weight. They look similar to Grousers or Loegering but the slot in the tracks shoe is smaller; about 2" wide and the shoes are spaced about 3" which gives a good compromise of traction and floatation. Yesterday I let my buddy who is always downing my machine (he uses a Case) was totally won-over with the tracks. He was slogging through wet grass, wet compost about a foot deep and had no problems whatsoever. He ran across his water soaked grass in his back yard and the machine left a depression only about an inch deep---and didn't tear up the grass at all (until he turned). I walked over to the straight portion and showed him how I couldn't even walk on the grass without sinking. We're both sold on them. By the way TracksPlus is looking for dealers--all you have to do is buy 5 sets at one time and you'll get 25% off and then you can start selling. I spoke to the owner of Tracks Plus directly. There is guy on e-bay selling them (that's how I found them) and he says he marks them up 22%. I made a track installation/removal tool made out of a trailer tongue jack and some angle iron. The jack lays on its side lengthwise on the track. The jack end that would normally be on the ground grips one track shoe and the screw end (normally the part mounted on the tongue) grips the opposing track sho. Turn the crank a few times and install the bolts. Have about $25 into it.

Yellowdog

that's some good information.

I run hulks and they are solid fill with the soft-fill. Tires are all about the same size. S300 with cab/air filled tires, tracks, weighs about 9,200 lbs +/-. When I add a tree shear at 1800lbs or a grapple to carry trees I down, that adds a bit more weight. It may simply be a weight issue. I started shearing again without tracks just because I was making such a mess. I literally had to backdrag all the areas I cut because the ground was disturbed. I am careful about what I do and have been very disappointed with ground disturbance on these shallow soils.

My biggest concern with running a lighter track would be the rock. We also have a lot of old, hard stumps to contend with. My loegerings are magnesium alloy and I break links occasionally. I have also bent the sidewalls. Everything is just so rocky. Lots of limestone here.

Does that track co. have a website??

Thanks! Yellowdog

earthwerks

It's www.tracksplus.com . The owner tells me they are the largest US supplier of lawn quipment blades and have some 300 employees. The tracks they make are, like I said, a light-weight, heat-treated alloy steel. They're made of stamped weldments---no castings-- with solid steel bar links and 5/8" Grade-8 (maybe more) shoulder bolts as pivots (no bushings). He said they are getting on average 1200 hours before rebuilding. I'm getting only about 100 hours out of Titan HD2000's tires so at that rate they'll last me 4-5 years.

The owner said he's also working on rubber-faced tracks but not sure when they will be released.

Let me know what you think about the TracksPlus stuff.

earthwerks

Hey, have you seen any stout rear bumpers in general or fenders for skid steers with tracks? I sometimes get into spots where I have to back into a tree (either accidentally or on purpose) or other obstacle and bang up the rear engine cover . The fenders New Holland sells just aren't wide enough and they want too much for them.

Yellowdog

Negative on the fenders. I saw where a guy added some diamond plate over the back of the tailgate. That helped keep the tailgate in good condition. I back into stuff all the time working in tight quarters clearing cedar here in texas. Bobcat has a hell of a strong back door and I can even mount counterweights that are molded and fit inside the rear of the gate. I took my counterweight out but it is like extra armor.

As far as the tracks, I saw those on Ebay. price is right but I don't know if they will hold up to the rocks here.
Tires, I get over 1000 hours on Hulks with solid fill. I have a set right now that's missing an impressive chunk right down to the core and the things keep me going up steep hills. I prefer not to work on steep, rocky terrain but that's my backyard, literally. My loegerings are tough as can be just rough on the surroundings. If you haven't tried hulk tires, check them out. They are made by Galaxy. I have 2 sets and they both have over 1000 hours. I had them on an 863 and s250 and now run them on an s220 and s300. One set, is under tracks but has half its hours on rock. I like them but just wish the lug pattern was better in soft terrain and I wish they were wider but they are tough and grip rock.

earthwerks

TracksPlus offers a 30-day warranty so if you don't like them you can send them back. Not sure if they cover the freight cost though---doesn't hurt to ask.
The guy on e-bay is a nice guy. The only drawback is he has them shipped from the TrackPlus factory and to deter him from doing that they add two weeks to the delivery time. If you place the order with the factory, they're in stock and ready to be shipped. I drove 8 hours round trip to pick mine up from the e-bay guy as he had only one set in stock, and I didn't have to pay the added $150 for shipping. That's why the factory wants to sell them to dealers at 5 at a time so they don't tie their people up doing the dealers' work shipping them out.

My current NH LS180 has a beefy rear door but the new LS185.B on order is half the thickness--probably due to the rising steel prices. Plus the door sit low to the ground. What have been using and actually works quite well is the black rectangular semi-trailer dock bumpers. I have 4 of them along the back bottom edge.