• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Other skid steers with pilot controls?

Alaska Sunrise

We are looking at getting a used skid steer. Any other manufacturers with pilot controls for their line of skid steers? I have only run a Cat 226 before and really liked it because it was very similar to excavator controls. (I cannot run foot controls because my right leg was amputated above the knee several years ago after an accident.) We might also look a getting a tracked unit but operating costs vs. track over tire concern us.

Any thoughts and info would be great, thanks.

heavylift

I ran track and wheel cats with pilot controls.... tracks are nice... pretty much a year round machine.... tracks will last 2000 hours ... if you watch how you run them... the early 247's had issues with weak booms. They put 2 or 3 on the one I was running.....check for bucket not setting on the ground on one side..

We demo'd a bobcat with swicthable controls ... but they were really high... it seemed like your hands were at eye level... :)

Deere ...I don't know if they have pilot control....But one thing I do know, PLAN on getting greasy everytime you crawl in and out.... poorest design in the world.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
New Holland, John Deere and Bobcat all have them as well. In fact, I think most manufacturers have them these days in order to remain competitive. I don't know how old a machine you'll be able to consider though, some have built with pilot controls only recently.

Make sure you demo whatever machine you find, not all pilot controls are created equal. Some have a designed in lag time from your input to the machine's reaction, for what reason I'll never know. Others just feel awkward. Keep us posted on what you're looking at and what you decide on.

WhyWhyZed

the only pilot controlled Bobcat was the 963 maybe? Only ever seen 1 or 2.

But Bobcat have electric joystick options on most units which feel similar to pilot and can be set up same pattern as Cat

74inchShovel

ASV might be a consideration, Cat buys or use to ( ? ) the undercarraige from them. They are very stable and ballanced.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
the only pilot controlled Bobcat was the 963 maybe? Only ever seen 1 or 2.

But Bobcat have electric joystick options on most units which feel similar to pilot and can be set up same pattern as Cat

The 963 was not a pilot controlled machine. It was servo at best. BC has never had a pilot controlled system. They (BC) are currently running an E/H option along with CAT and the newest Deere machines. CASE/NH, Takeuchi, Volvo, Komatsu, and preC series CAT and the smaller BII machines are Pilot.

WhyWhyZed

there was one pilot operated Bobcat...973 maybe?
I know because I have a set of pumps and motors here off it.
Rexroth pumps with rr bent axis variable displacement motors (same pumps and motors as a Cat D3C Hystat dozer)

ermineerwhatbuc

Occupation
unemployed, bobcat for hire
I don't thinks she neccasarily looking for pilot controls, just a skidsteer or compact trackloader with an all hands control system wether it be electric or hydraulic, all cats are hand controlled as well as takeuchi, and are options on newer deeres, new hollands, bobcat, and other possibly. If you have experience with a cat an like it and have a good dealer nearby buy a cat, same with all the other companies, operating them is only halve the battle. Bobcat have acs controls with you switch form feet to "Case" hand controls as well as the sjc option with has case hand and cat hand controls. I prefer the case style controls But I ran that set of controls for 4 years now. Ive driven cats since and didn't like them, but they are better than having to use foot controls. Any other questions keep them coming:usa

Alaska Sunrise

Yes, just to confirm, I would prefer a "excavator style pattern" where all the machine movement is on the left joystick and the loader is controlled by the right joystick. Our local Cat dealer is Finning and from what I have heard they are excellent.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
Many of Cat's competitors offer switchable patterns to match other manufacturers. I have to say I've yet to see anything as precise as Cat's controls though.

ermineerwhatbuc

Occupation
alright now you have a brand and a dealer. Now you have to decide how big to go, tracks, tires, ott tracks, radius or vertical lift, cab or no cab, ac no ac

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Many of Cat's competitors offer switchable patterns to match other manufacturers. I have to say I've yet to see anything as precise as Cat's controls though.

CAT's pilots are not that precise. I have been to Customer clinics where all the pilot controlled machines were evaluated while conducting different tasks, pretty easy to see who put time in properly metering the pilot controls responsiveness and feel and who did not. The Rexroth system CAT uses is a good system, they just needed to spend some more time making it more smooth and precise. When you have an opportunity run a CASE pilot controlled machine which also uses Rexroth and you will see the different. Its more precise and not near as jumpy.

Alaska Sunrise

alright now you have a brand and a dealer. Now you have to decide how big to go, tracks, tires, ott tracks, radius or vertical lift, cab or no cab, ac no ac

Right now we are looking for a smaller machine (7500lbs) that is easier to trailer. We will use it year round and definitely want a full cab a/c.

ermineerwhatbuc

Occupation
Right now we are looking for a smaller machine (7500lbs) that is easier to trailer. We will use it year round and definitely want a full cab a/c.

so your looking at the 226b, 236band the 246c for radius lift, 232b and 242b for vertical lift, and the 247b for the tracked skidloaders. I would Advise a wheeled unit with ott tracks, run tracks in the summer and chains or just wheels in the winter for plowing or what have you.

HLNTOIZ

I have ran a bunch of machines. Takeuchi was a pioneer or pilot controls. Run a TL 130 and you will prob never run a cat again. Lifting stability and power are awesome.