• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Opion on a 1995 GMC 6500 Dump Truck.

Peter23

Hello,

I am looking for a Dump Truck to use in my acreage. Found this 1995 GMC 6500. It has a cat but don't which engine model. Automatic. Hydraulic brakes. Owner is asking $6500CDN. The dump box has a strange looking tailgate....anyone knows whats called and purpose is for? Are these half decent Trucks? Are parts easy to come by?

Attachments

• IMG_20240215_211220.jpg
    IMG_20240215_211220.jpg
    494.4 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_20240215_211226.jpg
    IMG_20240215_211226.jpg
    570.8 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_20240215_211231.jpg
    IMG_20240215_211231.jpg
    572.8 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_20240215_211234.jpg
    IMG_20240215_211234.jpg
    615.7 KB · Views: 44

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
Should be a 3116 Caterpillar engine. I've seen good ones, and not so good ones. No lengthy history I've been around so suffice to say I don't know.

Tailgate looks like something fashioned to allow workers to hand shovel pothole fillers from to me.

Delmer

Yes, looks like a mechanical 3116, not an engine with a stellar reputation, but if it starts good cold, and runs smooth within 20 seconds, then it will work fine for what you're doing with it. People will badmouth the complex overhead and injectors, but I'd rather fear that project that will never happen than have ECM wiring that's waiting for the wrong drop of water, or mouse bite to kill it. Brakes, most mechanicals are common enough, some cab and interior parts are shared with pickups I've heard. 6500 specific stuff might be NLA. You could do worse, a lot worse. Do not buy it planning to do engine work though, it either runs good or doesn't.

BC Placer gold

Price sounds really good to me.

“Do not buy it planning to do engine work though, it either runs good or doesn’t”———excellent advice imo…

Make sure the hoist is working as it should.

terex herder

Thats a 30 year old truck who's maker has gone bankrupt once since it was built. Yes, parts availability for the truck depends on the part being used in something else more common. I have a '99 8500. For example I bought the last 2 tie rod ends I could find on the internet 3 years ago. I looked for 2 weeks to find a replacement rear axle housing from a junkyard. A couple of yards said they crushed all similar rear axles, no longer any demand.

A mechanic friend said "to me, the 3116 is my favorite Cat engine. It fed my children for many years doing repairs, updates, and improvements."

If it doesn't have problems you are good.

Peter23

Yes, looks like a mechanical 3116, not an engine with a stellar reputation, but if it starts good cold, and runs smooth within 20 seconds, then it will work fine for what you're doing with it. People will badmouth the complex overhead and injectors, but I'd rather fear that project that will never happen than have ECM wiring that's waiting for the wrong drop of water, or mouse bite to kill it. Brakes, most mechanicals are common enough, some cab and interior parts are shared with pickups I've heard. 6500 specific stuff might be NLA. You could do worse, a lot worse. Do not buy it planning to do engine work though, it either runs good or doesn't.
Also found a late 70's Ford 7000. Cat 3208. 5 speed with 2 spd rear end. Better engine than 3116? Parts availability?

Attachments

• IMG_20240115_201404.jpg
    IMG_20240115_201404.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 17

PeterG

Occupation
Contractor
Regarding the GMC, was that a snowplow truck? Might have had a spreader in the back. The drop down gate would make it easy to load from the back. Also I like the tarp system and lighting. Nice 3-4yd truck.
The Ford 7000 looks like a real 5yd dump truck.

terex herder

Late '70's? Now you are talking 45+ years old. First thing that breaks may scrap the truck, even little stuff. Seems like electric shift motors for 2 speed rears are unavailable, parts for hydrovac brake systems are very hard to come by.

Delmer

3208 won't have a hydrovac, would it? Not a better or worse motor than a 3116, just different, and older. The 3116 was designed as the lighter cleaner replacement for the 3208, and it was definitely both! I've heard the 3208 without a turbo didn't have enough power to hurt itself, never worked on them though.

Peter23

Yes the current owner used it for plowing. Not in the last 10 years though. It also comes with a plastic plow. Thanks for the input guys I will go look at the machine tomorrow and will report back.

BC Placer gold

My buddy’s 1983 L8000 with Cat 3208 has full air brakes. It also has 5sp/ 2 speed rear diff. It is a 3208 rebuild (with tag). Starts really good in the cold, non turbo. But seems smoky, and that smoke will really burn your eyes, seems a different type of smoke than most diesels. I know this because I spent some time loading him with our 120.

It is a site truck and has only needed minor repairs over the years. Look for cab rust under cab floor etc. Single frame is most likely

BC Placer gold

Late '70's? Now you are talking 45+ years old. First thing that breaks may scrap the truck, even little stuff. Seems like electric shift motors for 2 speed rears are unavailable, parts for hydrovac brake systems are very hard to come by.
We found an excellent condition 2 speed (electric) shifter at the junkyard, got lucky probably. The old one had never been maintained and was completely seized with rust. Gasket to rear diff was compromised and let in moisture. I find if lubricated and sealed to the diff housing well they are quite reliable.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Tailgate looks like something fashioned to allow workers to hand shovel pothole fillers from to me.

Beat me to it.

All I know about the little Cat is we have the 3126 version in our 953C that has been a great engine. 2004 bought new that all we've replaced is a water pump, alt and engine pre-heater. Of course this engine is in a completely different application than a truck.

As far as the Ford I would walk away. L series parts are hard to come by. We had to make a radiator over flow tank for our '95 L9000 because replacement ones are hard to find. I have no experience with the little Chevy but there were 1,000's of them on the road. Penske used the 6500 chassis for their rental dry vans for years. Around here used to see all sorts of yellow cab dumps and flatbeds that used to be vans.

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
Back in the short stint I had working on city plow trucks the 3208 wasn't very reliable until they went to turbocharging. A byproduct was an uprating in power with turbocharging, but the heads would not crack as often, and valves lasted much better before needing a regrind. The old 1160 engine, (which the 3208 was modeled from) had some of the same issues but was much heavier and better built, (IMO). A lot of those V8 engine trucks, (mostly Ford) got repowered to IH DT-466 engines to serve out their remaining tenures. I know the city ran with those "S" series International trucks for a lot of years afterward all having the "DT" series of engines.

56wrench

In my opinion the 3116 was not nearly as good as the 3208 it replaced due to the changes in emissions requirements. The 3208’s were easy to work on and were made for so many years that parts are readily available along with still being able to find good running used complete engines as they were used in a lot of different applications on-road and off-road

csthompson12

I have C6500, it handles a load well. 7-8 tons hardly make it squat at all. The hydraulic brakes don't have the best stopping power, so I defiantly don't drive too fast or too close. They do have a double frame, not quite the same as a Mack truck. The extra frame doesn't run the whole length or completely wrap the main frame. Mine does have some rust jacking, so check for that.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
I was tasked with keeping a couple of those 90’s vintage medium duty GMC’s in regular service and it was difficult & painful to source parts. GM did their best, to make even the most common parts, proprietary. They became too costly to operate for us from a fleet management perspective. YMMV, especially, if you are creative and have plenty of time to tinker.

The back of the engine is very difficult to access. Especially changing the ever- leaking injector sleeves.