• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

opinions needed

fiatallisguy

hey guys, just wondering what everyone thinks is the best bang for your buck in the 25-30 ton rock trucks.
I am considering buying two or three to have around, just general purpose, use them when needed. don't want to spend much money on them since they won't be used much, just fill in on certain jobs our scrapers can't do. I was wondering about Case. I see you can get newer machines fairly cheap and I have a dealership in town and I also have experience with Iveco engines. I also am thinking about Cat d250 or d300, I don't really care about year, just price and avalibility of parts for rebuild or repairs.

AustinM

I would also recommend Volvo. However, my experience with these machines comes from running a spread of them and I wasn't responsible for ordering parts or buying them so can't help you there, but I can tell you there was very little maintenance that had to be done on the Volvo's. We had 6 A35C's and a 1 brand new Cat of equivalent size and I would take a Volvo over the Cat anyday. I've seen the box get tipped all the way over on a Volvo about 5 times and you get another machine to tip the box back over, replace a couple bolts in the exhaust connection from the cab to the box and off they go again. Very durable.

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
yuup go for the the Volvo.....great reliable machine......

MrElectric03

Around here the best sellers are the Volvo and komatsu. New Komatsu hm300s are very nice trucks, the -2s are also good trucks and will last as long as they are taken care of.

buckfever

If you not looking to use them all the time or move a lot of dirt at once I would look at Moxy or Terex. Those trucks have a really low resale but just keep in mind you get what you pay for. I have Volvo trucks and can tell you they run rings around the cheaper trucks and as long as you keep them maintained they will go 20,000 hours before a major failure. But a Volvo also sells for about double the price of a Moxy of the same year and hours.

alco

I've worked with fleets of Volvo, Deere, Cat and Terex trucks. I would buy Volvo without hesitation if I was looking at ADTs. The only issue we had with Volvo was getting parts quickly, but that was a long time ago.

fiatallisguy

thanks for the input guys, going to go with the masses and go with the Volvos. I never knew if the older ones were any good, now I know. now any suggestions with an excavator to match up with the A25. there are a Volvo 460 and a cat 330 for sale nearby and the price isn't to bad. A company we work with has a 460 and it looks like it would fit the part, I am not overly familiar with excavators so any info would be great.

buckfever

It's not so much how big of a ex. you need but how many trucks you have and what there haul time is. I would think a 460 would be a little big to load 25t trucks. We load 25t and 35t trucks with a 330 and it keeps up just fine most of the time, anything bigger and we would be just wasting fuel.

overworked

I agree, in our neck of the woods a volvo a25, 25b or c, and a 330 cat, the volvos hold there value because their the cream of the crop. and a 330 size would be most practical to run / move with no problems.

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
I have used a Volvo 450 to load Volvo 25 ton dumpers and for muckshifting they are well matched.