• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Operators and Booze

Welder Dave

Not necessarily. That's why the tobacco industry had to pay billion dollar fines for putting addictive substances in cigarettes. Addiction is a real disease but some people do things excessively on their own. My dad considered himself a dry alcoholic and had enough willpower to go to AA and never drank again. He was smart enough to know he was best off without alcohol. He could even be with people that drank and just drink pop or something non alcoholic. Unfortunately he couldn't quit smoking. He had tried a few times though. I think it's really hard for people who don't smoke or only occasionally drink, and can control it, to understand people that can't control it. You really have to want to quit and it's not always enough. That's why organizations like AA are great. Sometimes it's not enough and you can't help everybody.

Truck Shop

And for the fact--there is the righteous--they don't make stupid choices for they are driven by ego
plus narcissistic ideas, they are the perfect in there mind living in a imperfect world, and if only
the weak could understand then they too would be perfect.---That's not a place I would want to be.

aighead

I don't have much to add to the conversation other than I'm a drinker from a family of good natured, light alcoholics. I think we all have the ability to not drink, but we enjoy having a cocktail or beer when we can. I've gotten into bourbon and to ease the expense and the amount I drink I started going 50/50 water/bourbon a few days ago. It's not as tasty. The $140 per month Spud quoted is about right.

AzIron

Alcohol has done a number on the family's older generations great grandpa killed grand ma and him self back in 48 he was a mean drinker according to my grandpa, he was the only one out of his 4 brothers that didn't drink or so it would appear I think he did just quit when he got married cause it made him angry like his dad his brother's were all functioning alcoholics.

Onto my generation of family between boose and drugs about half of my cousins are hopeless. Then there is my brother absolutely the most talented artist I have ever seen and I mean he is so good he can draw really well still when he is out of his mind but that guy has abused every substance known to man out of all the friends he grew up with we've buried all but 2 for the same thing it's no wonder I won't mess with it a case of beer last me close to a year cause if I sit down and have one I usually will have 4 or 5 before I know it so I don't have time for that vice

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
I come from a long line of drinkers on both sides of my family. My mom’s side was drinkers, smokers, and drug use. none of them even tried to ever kick the habits. My dad’s side is casual drinkers and smokers. I think I’m the first member in at least 3 generations that isn’t a smoker. I like a pinch of skoal now and again but never got hooked on it. I also like a bourbon and coke or two on the weekend. it’s never been a problem for me and I’m probably not gonna give it up anytime soon.

Truck Shop

I come from a long line of drinkers on both sides of my family.
There is-truthfully--a family line of drinkers, smokers & drug users in any American family.
At this point--all have descended from old Boomers---Which were Smokers {with allot of pot too},
Drinkers and trip'in on lsd. Peace symbols, ty-dye T shirts, long hair, bell bottoms, scroungy beards,
VW's {bugs & vans} macramé this and that. Take a long look in any year book from 1982 back,
Boomers started the drug culture-and 80% now will say I never smoked it and if they did they
didn't inhale--BS. In high school it was a case every Friday or Saturday night for me. Pot { A wheel
barrow full}. I just love it when I run into a boomer who lies about there druggy/drinking past.
Walking around now looking righteous as all get out---look them up in a year book--hair when
they had it hanging down their back. Hypocrites, need a hose reel mounted on their chest to
wind up their nose.

aighead

My parents were hippies and would admit to it. The ones that don't are, in my opinion, a societal problem. Nothing wrong with doing things in your past and learning from them.

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
As a kid I remember that drinking heavy and then driving and riding sleds seemed to be fairly normal. Half the people I know got drunk at least once a week and nobody seemed to care. Now that the last generation has mostly passed I can count on one hand the number of people I know that get drunk on a regular basis.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
After the 2 great wars, men came home, and sank into the bottle to try and forget what they had seen. A neighbor of my parents, when I was a kid came back from the war, and began selling farm equipment. He and his wife married after the war. He would get drunk and beat her. I was just a kid, and remembered him being the old man that fell down a lot, and would crash his car a lot. She said her mother didn't want them to be together, and she figured staying with him was her punishment for not listening. Now they call it PTSD, and there are harsher things to help the forget, but the result is the same or worse.

chidog

Wow, when I was around 30 I could count all the drinks I have had till then on 2 hands.
Now at over 2 times plus some that age, I'd need to use my feet and hands times maybe 3 or less, I think.
Every time I have tasted it, I could not understand the big thrill. I am one that actually has used it for medicinal purposes. I'd rather burn it in an engine than drink it.
During high school it was the rage to have keggers and getting drunk, I had more fun not getting drunk.

cfherrman

Wow, when I was around 30 I could count all the drinks I have had till then on 2 hands.
Now at over 2 times plus some that age, I'd need to use my feet and hands times maybe 3 or less, I think.
Every time I have tasted it, I could not understand the big thrill. I am one that actually has used it for medicinal purposes. I'd rather burn it in an engine than drink it.
During high school it was the rage to have keggers and getting drunk, I had more fun not getting drunk.

Same here buddy. I drink 4-6 beers a year. Drinking is just an excuse to not deal with your problems and they are there in the morning. TV doesn't help as shows always say they need a drink after a hard day. Same goes with breaking stuff when mad, I hate both those tropes on the TV.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
You're surprised? It started as an obscure tv show, filmed in a real trailer park in Nova Scotia Canada, and shown on a late night Canadian tv channel. Dunsworth was the only real actor on the show.
That show was simply masterful in its original run. The Netflix reboot was ok but it just doesn't hold up well against the first few seasons.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
That show was simply masterful in its original run. The Netflix reboot was ok but it just doesn't hold up well against the first few seasons.
I met Ricky, Julian, and Bubbles, well a hand shake at a bar in Halifax. Randy used to work for Sparkling Springs water company, and he was in my home town for work, and was at a local night club. Everyone kept yelling at him to take his shirt off. I just missed Rae at the university of New Brunswick in Fredericton, giving a talk on creative writing. I went to pick up a girl I was dating at the time.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
I met Ricky, Julian, and Bubbles, well a hand shake at a bar in Halifax. Randy used to work for Sparkling Springs water company, and he was in my home town for work, and was at a local night club. Everyone kept yelling at him to take his shirt off. I just missed Rae at the university of New Brunswick in Fredericton, giving a talk on creative writing. I went to pick up a girl I was dating at the time.
J to the R-O-C.
I spin more rhymes than a Lazy Susan,
and I'm innocent until my guilt is proven.