• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

On the Road Again

Truck Shop

014.JPG 011.JPG 008 (2).JPG I know a guy here in town that travels the globe working for Lampson setting up cranes. I took these photos about two years ago at Lampson's main yard in Pasco, Wa.
Really the photos don't grab the size of this unit, A security guard took the photo of me standing next to it. And those clevises are way bigger than the photo can depict.

hosspuller

If you click on the picture it zooms in, you can pan around and see a "WT" in front of the digits... attsa lotta counterweight! The "little guys" up top are only around 44,000 each!
24 x 44,000
40x 72,000

Looks like the LTL-3000. Operator's cab seems comfy enough... (click on blue box with 3 circles to toggle pic)

https://www.lampsoncrane.com/equipment/lampson-transi-lift/ltl-3000

It's owned by Hitachi ... waiting on delivery.

Last edited:

Truck Shop

In video, Woman in purple is Kate Lampson. She talks about the LTL-3000. she is part of the third generation of the family owned and operated Lampson Cranes.
I realize that but I also know someone who works there and has been there for years.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
TS posted about the Hitachi crane some years ago and it looks like it is still sitting there.

I wonder who is paying rent on the considerable space it occupies? Surely someone will want it somewhere someday, cranes always seem to be getting bigger. Around here they built the foundations of a bridge and just lifted the deck and set it, it had been built elsewhere. This crane is obviously bigger than that though.

Truck Shop

That crane has been setting in the yard now for six years or very close to that. They had to install a red beacon for low flying air craft.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
So who pays the rent, if you know that information? I would think Hitachi would scrap it if it had sat that long. Maybe Lampson, being an old school company, can see that it will have value somewhere, someday and is willing to let it sit in exchange for a big payoff later.

hosspuller

So who pays the rent, if you know that information? I would think Hitachi would scrap it if it had sat that long. Maybe Lampson, being an old school company, can see that it will have value somewhere, someday and is willing to let it sit in exchange for a big payoff later.

According to the video, Lampson maintains the crane and Hitachi observes quarterly & annual inspections. 0.35 sec of video, specs at 2.55. I infer Hitachi owns it and pays for maintenance since they send their people to observe. Hitachi bought this crane to build nuke plants. Since Japan suffered Fukushima, nukes have been on hold in Japan. Likewise this crane.

Trivia ... notice pendant on her necklace.

GE / Hitachi nuclear joint venture >> https://nuclear.gepower.com/

TS... I'm not disputing your comments... just adding detail. The internet knows all.

Last edited:

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Big cranes like that see a lot of sitting time between jobs. There will be a time when it is needed and the cost of renting it will be astronomical. I worked a project some years ago involving some Demag cranes. The largest were 1,000 ton units that came here to work on scrubbers for large coal plants. A change of US presidents and dropping the requirements of having scrubbers on the plants bankrupted or almost bankrupted some crane hire companies. The cranes were all sold to other companies after about a year of sitting and waiting to clear all the legal paper work. They were sitting all over the world before the scrubber thing came up, brought here on speculation that it would go and when the bottom dropped out, they dispersed again to all over the world.

Truck Shop

Well if you look at the crane in the photo-stop and think about it for minute or two. That crane was built with the idea of dismantling and building two smaller cranes using the two carriages.
If any of you would have had the chance to walk around it and inspect it close up you would see what I'm talking about. They move stuff around like a chess game.

So Nige's thread isn't hi-jacked-----------------This thread is also in the Crane forum under

A Few Big Items-so please reply there.

Sorry Nige.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
No apology necessary Mkie. It wouldn't be a multi-page HEF thread if there wasn't a hijack or two somewhere along the line..........

I'll have to do some photo updates. The orange digger is moving right along and all going well we should have two more 45-ton excavators, another truck & a body with us within the next couple of days.