• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Old Lincoln Welder

Old Doug

I bought 2 welders this week that i havent got home one is a i think Hobart 300 motor driven the other is a big older mig with a spool gun i think its a Hobart. The big mig has a bad gas valve and the other has something wrong so it will get scraped. I dont realy have room for the mig but i will save it.

repowerguy

Occupation
mixer truck mechanic
If the MG set welder is 3 phase, make sure the motor is turning the right direction. If it is rotating backwards, the generator won't charge. You may want to inspect it before you scrap it.

Old Doug

the mig is a reguler transformer the other is a stick welder motor driven.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
If the old Lincoln SAE400 is still around maybe I'll drag a trailer up and get both.... what motor is in that one?

repowerguy

Occupation
mixer truck mechanic
Old Doug, when I said MG set I meant a motor generator set. One that has a electric motor driving a dc generator.
Sorry, I was just using some trade jargon.

Old Doug

Old Doug, when I said MG set I meant a motor generator set. One that has a electric motor driving a dc generator.
Sorry, I was just using some trade jargon.
Ok it wondered what MG was. I have used a 200 and 400

they were very good welders but i heared thy use alot of electricite or money to run.

Volvomad

I salvaged an old murex mig years ago and the spool in the gas valve just mushroomed from use . A rub of a file did the trick .

Old Doug

I want to look at it and see whats going on.It allso has a spool gun but i have tomany prodjects already.

Old Doug

A friend that is moveing has been cleaning up he sold me a load of scrap today he came buy work with some copper he wanted to sell. The biggest part of it was several feet of 3/0 welding cable. Theres 4 rolls with stingers,ground clamps and quick coectors. One roll is scrap but the others are good.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
A friend that is moveing has been cleaning up he sold me a load of scrap today he came buy work with some copper he wanted to sell. The biggest part of it was several feet of 3/0 welding cable. Theres 4 rolls with stingers,ground clamps and quick coectors. One roll is scrap but the others are good.

That's good stuff.

DoyleX

Occupation
Lever Puller, Gear Jammer, Pipe Twister
The scrap rolls depending on make great jumper cables.

Old Doug

The scrap rolls depending on make great jumper cables.
Its 3/0 the weight of the cable would tear the battery termnals off. The insalation on the ones i am going to scrap is falling off so its no good for any thing but scrap.

check

I sold that Wisconsin/Hobart since I last posted in this thread. It had 24 volt electric start through the welder. No external starter.

lantraxco

My dad still has a Lincoln Idealarc running on 220V he bought used in the early sixties from a bridge contractor, I have not burned any rod with it lately but as I recall AC/DC and I believe 450 amps DC at 100% continuous duty. Selenium rectifier in the top about three feet square. Smooooth arc. Likes 1/4" 7018, I couldn't find anything bigger at the time.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
old Tombstone welders also called buzz boxes worked OK, as they aged and the windings enamel eroded or rotted away they would eventually short internally and get all manner wild swings in welds. Used to be people that could rewind or re-enamel the windings but they are few and far between nowadays.

mitch504

My dad still has a Lincoln Idealarc running on 220V he bought used in the early sixties from a bridge contractor, I have not burned any rod with it lately but as I recall AC/DC and I believe 450 amps DC at 100% continuous duty. Selenium rectifier in the top about three feet square. Smooooth arc. Likes 1/4" 7018, I couldn't find anything bigger at the time.
I have one just like that, except mine tops out at 350 amps, 100 % duty. Welds smoooooth, all the way to the bottom of the scale, you can weld the lid back on your soup if you get full. Mine is from 1973.

I also have a lincoln "hard hat" motor-generator set, that the dept of the army took delivery of the day my mother was born, 30 March, 1936. I bought it at auction for $20, just for the date.

Tugger2

A Lincoln Idealarc was my first crack at welding in the high school shop. First machine i owned when i was 16 was an aircraft generator reputed to be 400 amp belt driven of a big briggs n stratton. Mounted it in my 68 f250 with some torches and went out looking for things to weld. Some people even paid me. It gave me the bug for self employment i have been aflicted with all my life.
I still like my Lincolns. First one Sae 300 cost me 1200.00 almost 20 years ago ,Perkins starts at the touch of the button welds smooth. The other one Sam 400 with a perkins runs the same way ,but not as smooth welding. Its setup for C.V. ,one day ill hook up the old LN7 feeder and get it doing what its meant to. I let the odd Hobart into the collection to.Did anyone here ever recieve the Lincoln Stabilizer magazine .I looked forward to it every month.PB092088.JPG P9151918.JPG P4290726.JPG