• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Old Iron long term storage

sparkykw

Occupation
Engineering
Anyone have some ideas for what is a good way to keep a tracked machine elevated a bit so that it's not in direct contact with the ground for long term storage (so that the bottom of the tracks don't disintegrate quickly?
Perhaps just placing some crushed stone under the machine so that water runs off and the tracks don't touch the ground directly?

Thanks!

Mike Van

Black locust will last as long as any wood here in new england. Keeping the mice from ruining wiring, seats, etc with their crap is a big issue too. I had a cab off a truck for 6 weeks this summer, little sh*ts made a nest in the glove box.

Last edited:

sparkykw

Occupation
Engineering
Thanks for the input! I am familiar with Black Locust; many of the posts in my pole buildings are of Black Locust. A farmer friend has holes drilled into his pole building posts made of Black Locust. The holes are from a few inches above the ground level to a few feet above, and are drilled downwards. He occasionally pours used motor oil into the holes as it soaks in and keeps the bugs out, the same as creosote does.

Taylortractornu

Charter Member
Occupation
Privvate landfill operator/manager
Keep a camera on it a friend had his old D7 blocked up while he was out of town working. It was in his backyard and some scrappers cut the tracks in sections. Tracks, batteries and most of the battery cables.