• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Old Ford backhoe - need help with teeth

Eric_284

Hi All,
Bought my first backhoe a couple months ago and have been using it to remove stumps in some property I'm clearing. Lots of roots etc. in the area. The bucket is a 28" with 6 teeth, but it's missing 4. I decided to replace those before I do too much with it.

I assumed (I know) that the teeth were held on with pins, as I had seen dirt in a little circular area on the shanks. Turns out there's just a divet there - there's no hole going all the way through. I looked at the two teeth that are still on there and it looks like the part of the tooth that overlaps those little divets is just peened in there.

Anyone know what style of tooth this is? I can't seem to find anything without pins.

Thanks

Tinkerer

That style tooth and shank are a super stupid way to mount teeth. The teeth are easily pulled off.
It is quite common for operators to keep digging when that happens. Then the shank gets worn and results in loose teeth that cannot be held on very long.
When I bought my backhoe all the shanks worn badly. I used to weld the teeth on.
I got tired of doing that and took the bucket to a machine shop and had new shanks welded on.

Eric_284

Agreed, it definitely seems like a bad way to mount a tooth.

Would there be any feasibility to drilling through the shanks and creating a hole for a pin?

skyking1

OK look at that link I gave you for 150 bucks you can weld on some shanks that actually fit the teeth, that are provided for 150 bucks.
Now weigh out drilling the shanks, then finding a tooth with the right pocket. I'll bet you already busted the budget above. Oh, yes go buy pins. and retainer rings.
Take a good torch and scarf off those shanks, some 7018 rod and weld on the new shanks, and done.
Here are some bigger ones if those mini are too small.
https://www.amazon.com/Excavator-Ba...CFUD18G,B007IBWBG0,B08G2VPHZ5,B0096TWKCW&th=1

gggraham

Occupation
Licensed Heavy Duty Equipment Mechanic
Buy some 2740-ZW-23 Shanks here in Canada they are $18, The teeth are 23HXL for $11 each or flares 23F for $14.50, pins for these teeth are $4 each. This is in Canadian Dollars so about 30% less in USD. Here is a link to 23/230 series teeth https://www.amazon.com/230-Style-Dirt-Bucket-Tooth/dp/B01N2G9ZC7
These are forged teeth not manufactured, stay away from the 23/230 series that is welded and manufactured.
The teeth you have now are 2A style see here for a reference https://www.ebay.com/itm/273563539958

Delmer

Get the 2A or maybe bobcat teeth for it, if they don't fit snug because the shank is worn, build it up a little at a time with weld, then fit and grind till it's snug. use chalk, or rust, or mud, or real engineers dye to see where they're rubbing. Then weld the teeth on. If you wear them out in a year, then get better shanks and better teeth, you probably won't wear them out.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Buy some 2740-ZW-23 Shanks here in Canada they are $18, The teeth are 23HXL for $11 each or flares 23F for $14.50, pins for these teeth are $4 each. This is in Canadian Dollars so about 30% less in USD. Here is a link to 23/230 series teeth https://www.amazon.com/230-Style-Dirt-Bucket-Tooth/dp/B01N2G9ZC7
These are forged teeth not manufactured, stay away from the 23/230 series that is welded and manufactured.
The teeth you have now are 2A style see here for a reference https://www.ebay.com/itm/273563539958
I believe the 230 style are standard equipment on John Deere, Case & Ford backhoes. I have had 5 backhoes, 6 buckets with them. I buy from my Case dealer, but Amazon prices seem good.

Outboard teeth are easy to install & remove, but inner teeth are a challenge. An offset driver helps, I've always used a makeshift assortment of steel cut offs, or drift punches. If I could make hardened, or forged tools, it'd be three tools:
A punch with offset to remove old flex pins.
Something similar but with a female cup to start the new.
A 2' long, 2" square with a short pin off one side I could use to seat a flex pin.

Larger buckets use a straight pin with a reduced point one side of the tooth. A spring collar fits inside the tooth. You drive the pin to expand the spring, until it drops into the skinny section of the pin. I like that system, haven't seen it for backhoe buckets.

I have rebuilt several buckets. Companies like Hensley make cutting edges forged with tooth shanks. I've priced these, cost will discourage me!

I once bought cutting edge from Adirondack Road Materials. They are gone. Last bucket I rebuilt, I couldn't find cutting edge, except as a specific part from Caterpillar ($$$$$$$$$). A fellow in MO had the size I needed he bought at an ?auction? sold me a 26" piece. I think I might have a new source in MA.