• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Old dozers for farm

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Some nice iron for someone local. Would require oversize permit and over 400 miles to get the contraption here. At the local hauling rate is over $3000 to move it from Ok City to Hermann not including fuel surcharge. I am also learning as to what machines will interchange components. The Allis 7G and the 11B series used 7.0 rails, close match with little mods is Cat 6.906 rails with the smaller bushing will ride on the sprockets reasonably the 16's have no interchange 7.850 requiring sprocket mods to use any other rail. Other issues as well so am really starting to concentrate to still existing manufacturers.
Is a 11B up for absolute auction on Purple Wave relatively close Camdenton MO. As with all old machines issues and noted in sales add of final leak, rails weak, "head gasket pinhole" whatever that might really be, other small leaks but fairly clean with the bids already over $4100 and to the 25th before final.

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
777 horsepower or the engine is out of a 777 ? either way it sounds fun

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Should be around a 180-200hp engine in there, don't know where they would have come up with the figure!

Reactions: LDK

Metalman 55

Sorry to hear about loosing a fellow worker in the car accident Metalman 55 .

That was a nice looking 11B you spotted .

I see several F/A tractors up in your area .
https://www.machinerytrader.com/listings/construction-equipment/for-sale/11783055/1972-fiatallis-11b

Wonder what trucking cost would be to middle America ?
3 to 5 thousand ?

It would have to be close to $5k to haul that far I would think. When I bought the D6C in Albany NY (230 ish miles) 4 years ago, I think it was $2,300 US. If you could have someone do it on a back haul, that would bring the price down.

I just sold my nice old D4D dozer to a man in Gladstone Manitoba (not to be confused with where Scrub is from!!) a distance of 1350 miles from me & he is having it shipped on a backhaul for a good rate. I am going to miss that tractor, but hardly use it anymore. No ROPS, so it must stay on private property.

Attachments

• 20161205_080654.jpg
    20161205_080654.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 21

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I did some checking as to haul price when looking at the 16B. $4.50/loaded mile LOCAL in-state haul out of state would be a contract hauler and could end up quite a bit higher than I quoted above. The Allis in Camdenton is sold at $4100. The major issue they will have is the right final, I own the last seal package know to exist stateside for my 7G(same p/n) and it will be used when I rebuild the right final on it. No one(seal makers) makes a similar or interchangeable kit for these where will require a machine shop to convert to something else. Neoprene crushable donut woven fiber reinforced with two wear washers crushed into tension when torque final sprocket or flange in place.

Queenslander

Learned that lesson years ago . Don't seem to matter what brand or type of equipment . If the seller has taken good care of it and we can put it on a job after we buy it I generally won't make any offers on it . Will either buy for the asking price or pass on it as I have a pretty good idea on maintenance costs ;)
I've always taken that approach as well td.
Iam just buying a truck, from a private seller, at the moment and when it came to closing the deal he was on the defensive, expecting me to beat him down.
When I agreed to his asking price providing he obtain an engine report and fix a couple of small oil leaks, his demeanour changed immediately.
I think I'll be much better off than the few k I may have gained by haggling.
Buying from dealers may be a different story, you usually have nothing to lose by sticking it to them.

Last edited:

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Did you see this D7? It's not far from you either (same auction as the camdenton one)- Looks like they've been using it, but looks like the engine compartment and pans could use a good cleaning to stop a fire.

Too bad they don't show the pins, but its close enough you could go take a look.

https://www.purplewave.com/auction/170525/item/DB1314
I went to the auction, seems 76440 has a bounty to pursue on the machine as they outbid everyone else to end up getting the machine.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I also hesitate to think that belly pan has been welded up in place in the photos, is also FULL, this machine is a fire awaiting a site to go off!

crane operator

It's only at $6,200 right now. It doesn't close until the 25th of the month, which would give you time to drive over there and give it a good look, that way you can decide if its something your real interested in.

Whoever that bidder is, has probably put a 10k or something priority bid in. Whenever someone bids, it will automatically bid for him until his maximum is reached.

If I'm looking at spending that kind of $, I like to go look, and talk to the owner if I can. Closer to home can save you $ on trucking, or enable you to pay a little more for it.

At least being Cat, you wouldn't have the parts availability issues like the Allis- you just have to be able to afford them.

Good luck finding something- I'll try to keep my eye out.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I thought all those sales closed the 25th, that Allis 11B is already sold and gone $4100. I think I will stick with the open sales and hard prices.

crane operator

The allis and the cat are both still open for bidding. When it shows winning bid- that's just the current winning bid price, it won't close until the last day of the auction.

They don't close until may 25, not april 25, so you could still bid on either item, or go look at either one. I have bought several items through purplewave, you need to remember the buyers premium also. 10% adds up.

td25c

I've always taken that approach as well td.
Iam just buying a truck, from a private seller, at the moment and when it came to closing the deal he was on the defensive, expecting me to beat him down.
When I agreed to his asking price providing he obtain an engine report and fix a couple of small oil leaks, his demeanour changed immediately.
I think I'll be much better off than the few k I may have gained by haggling.
Buying from dealers may be a different story, you usually have nothing to lose by sticking it to them.

Good points Queenslander !
Come to think of it I've gotten most the best deals over the years buying trucks & equipment without any haggling or offers .
The asking price may even be over market value but if the machine is tight , work ready and can make the numbers work we would go after it .

Many times paying a little more up front on something good makes money down the long road .

What the hell is " market value " anyway ? My equipment dealer buddy schooled me on this topic years ago . Dealers need it to buy & sell equipment in short time frame and make a little coin in the process .
He then stated it has little or no effect on operators buying for long term putting it on job sites earning . I tend to agree with him .
If the " market value " is down on a piece of equipment just keep it on a job site earning cash .:)

check

What the hell is " market value " anyway ? My equipment dealer buddy schooled me on this topic years ago . Dealers need it to buy & sell equipment in short time frame and make a little coin in the process .
He then stated it has little or no effect on operators buying for long term putting it on job sites earning . I tend to agree with him .
If the " market value " is down on a piece of equipment just keep it on a job site earning cash .:)
If you're a contractor and have a job coming up where you would put a couple hundred hours on the machine in question, then thousands more later on other jobs, what you can resell it for is not the main consideration, but as the thread title goes, a guy like me who buys a machine with the intention of improving his property and then reselling the machine in a few years after putting 2 or 3 hundred hours on it, an assessment of market value is important because one can easily end up spending more than one would hiring the work done. I am able to do this only because I'm able to understand markets and follow them closely. I could never do this if I purchased a machine from any dealer. I have seen quite a few Craigslist deals by private sellers which I would not have haggled on, but they were sold to someone else within a day after the ad went up.

Metalman 55

The Fiat Allis 11-B sold for $10,500 CDN today at Ritchie Bros. Toronto. That would be approx. $7,500 US.

Attachments

• 20170505_110041.jpg
    20170505_110041.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 9

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I take it they got it running? Looks a lot straighter than the one on Purple wave at Camdenton MO. That one needs some work!
Bidding war is all out on for the D7, went from $7300 to $11,500 in a blink, now at $12k. 15 days to go the 11B in MO sits at $4100.