• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Old Cat thats been sitting?

farmlion

Hey. I talked to a guy today that has an old D6b. He parked it in a building 30 years ago and hasn't ran it since. Whats the chance the motor would be any good? Im thinking of going just to put a bar on it and see if it turns over. If it turns who knows

catman13

Occupation
refrigeration engineer/excavation contractor
if it turns over it should run. probably would need battery's and the fuel system primed and it should start.
why did he park it and not run it again?
before you do anything to it what does want for it, because the more that works the price will go up.
do you have a way to haul it the way it sits?
try to get it for scrap price that way you don't lose much.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Might pull the air cleaner and make sure there haven't been any critters living in there. Check the various fluid levels etc. Maybe run out of a fuel jug if the fuel tank etc seems trashy.

I love old finds like that. Howcome they're always so far away?!?

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
If it has been inside and kept dry there is a decent chance that the brakes and clutched are not stuck to bad. If the engine turns it usually don't take much to get them running. Looking forward for the pictures. What kind of shape is the undercarriage in?

farmlion

I haven't actually seen it so cant comment on the shape. It was supposed to be working good when parked is all i know. Its my daughter in-laws grandfathers. He got done using it and parked it in the shed. Hes been dead most of those years. Family is trying to clean the yard up now.
The price is right if we get it out of there. Its a few hours away but if winter doesnt leave soon we should have time to go look

DoyleX

Occupation
Lever Puller, Gear Jammer, Pipe Twister
Even if the engine is stuck the undercarriage is worth scrap price as it crosses over.

farmlion

IMG_6114[13317].JPG IMG_6107[13310].JPG IMG_6110[13313].JPG
I haven't had a chance to go look at it yet but they sent me some pictures. Didn't get a good one of the undercarriage though.
One thing i was surprised about is there's no pup motor. Is that common?

Hobbytime

being parked inside is much better than being outside, you dont have to worry about water getting into the engine or other components to destroy them...

DoyleX

Occupation
Lever Puller, Gear Jammer, Pipe Twister

Old Magnet

No pup motor is a good thing. The later ones were known as "buzz bombs". Way to high operating rpm and were prone to grenading. Factory direct electric start was an option.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
By what I see, is a old AG tractor converted with add ons for a dozer. Would be interesting to see fully up and running.

Sanya_Promstal

Occupation
Industrialist
offtop
Excuse me, why such a love for old bulldozers in America? Often I read this forum and I am very surprised. The construction machine has its own resource associated with the payback, then it is simply recycled. Repair and maintenance of such equipment is not economically justifiable.

DPete

Not just old tractors but old cars, boats, motorcycles and most anything that was made with quality before the throw away world came to be. Most of the old dozers are more of a hobby and don't see front line usage. People would rather get them running again rather than haul to the scrap yard to be remelted
offtop
Excuse me, why such a love for old bulldozers in America? Often I read this forum and I am very surprised. The construction machine has its own resource associated with the payback, then it is simply recycled. Repair and maintenance of such equipment is not economically justifiable.

Hobbytime

offtop
well as a hobby equipment owner..2 words..NO COMPUTERS..........the electronics in the new machines cost BIG $$$$ to fix when they go down....

Sanya_Promstal

Occupation
Industrialist
well as a hobby equipment owner..2 words..NO COMPUTERS..........the electronics in the new machines cost BIG $$$$ to fix when they go down....
With this I agree! But progress does not stand still. For example, in Russia, it is difficult to find a bulldozer (over 20 tons) older than 15-20 years.