• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Old CAT dozer

chidog

I forget? 14A is with clutch and is the 13A or is it 15A a diesel torque converter ish type of deal???
A 2U is that, and would not have something like 13A or 14A ?

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
Production figures for the 13A D8 are interesting, Cat only built 312 of them in 1953 (first year of production), then in 1954, production soared to 2816 units, and the final year of production saw only 573 of them built.

I'm thinking that the big push to build the Interstate Highway system in this period was the major reason for the big increase in D8 production.
Plus, I guess, development all over the world was demanding bigger and bigger tractors in that era, and the D8 was the biggest Cat available until the D9 appeared in 1955.

chidog

Operated? No I'd call it moved those old manual clutch machines a few times.
Even as a younger person I would have had a hard time putting in a 12 plus hour day on one of them, especially in a clearing operation. Operators had to work back in them days.