• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

OE Local #3 Union Apprenticeship

Greetings all!

My name is Nick, and am currently waiting/studying for my OE Apprenticeship test in a few weeks. I have been doing a lot of searching to try and sponge up as much info as possible to be well prepared for the test and future interview. I did a quick forums search to see if any up to date info was covered regarding the Local #3 JATC and only found a short thread dated from 2013. As much has changed since then, I figured I would post to see if this would fall on any kind ears (eyes I guess).

I was hoping to pick the brains of the forum for any up to date or relevant info that would help prepare me for the test, and possibly future sponsorship. "UnionTestPrep" has probably been the most helpful resource I have found so far. I am basically pretending to study for the ASVAB, since I cant find any specific study material (I'm assuming that is intended). I have also been told that there is an extra.. dexterity test of sorts, involving physical objects you need to interact with as quickly as possible. I am not as worried about this portion since I have always been a "hands on" type, and feel I have above average hand/eye coordination. In other words, I have enjoyed being a grease monkey.

I applied for the Construction Equipment Operator division, due to my location and advice of my local apprenticeship coordinator. He was even kind enough to help me narrow down the union contractors list to the most likely contractors to take on new apprentices in my area!

I do have some modest experience (non-certified) from previous construction, operating various types of equipment such as:
- Fork Lifts (both mast & boom style, with 4WS/crab/tilt/etc.)
- Skid-steers with carious attachments (CAT/Bobcat, wheeled & tracked)
- Small Excavators and Backhoes (though very brief)

Mostly just material movement and miscellaneous small scale ground prep. Unfortunately, no experience in any large scale grading, etc. Also, getting my Class-A CDL with various endorsements has been on my list of goals for career value, and I am aware that I am expected to attain it shortly, if accepted. Just haven't had the spare financial requirements to do so yet.

Any info and/or advice would be greatly appreciated! And please forgive the wall-o-text hah!

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Math is important wither cutting grades and slopes or figuring out weight on a crane. It is part of the test. If you search FOR LOCAL 139, Wisconsin they have a great video about there school. It appears on public television in the Midwest also occasionally. It gives a good overview of the apprentice program and most other locals are similar.

Math is important wither cutting grades and slopes or figuring out weight on a crane. It is part of the test. If you search FOR LOCAL 139, Wisconsin they have a great video about there school. It appears on public television in the Midwest also occasionally. It gives a good overview of the apprentice program and most other locals are similar.

Thanks for your reply old-iron-habit! It's been a crazy week between work and home life. I did look up the Loc.#139 vids and realized I had seen them before. I am mostly aware of what is involved with the JATC process, and thats all the videos seemed to cover really. Just an overview of what is involved leading up to, and beyond apprenticeship. Thanks very much for your time and input. It was still interesting to see how they deal with the harsh winters, and still find ways to be productive.

I was more hoping for study material specific to the apprenticeship test. I'm not even sure if the California JATC is using a standardized test for OE3, or if they custom crafted a test of their own. It all seems very hush-hush, since I cant get a straight answer from anyone. I just want to be best prepared because I know the scoring on the test is very competitive. And if I can sharpen my existing skills and knowledge related to the trade/test, I'd feel much better. I just don't want to be that guy that shows up for the test and wings it. And later finds out that I didn't pass or scored so low that I will be waiting years to get indentured. I'm confident I will learn quickly on the job, but am very stressed about the test (if you couldn't tell, hah!).

I am still doing my own research to find more study material. As well as trying to brush up on trade/test related math equations. Just thought the forums might have more resources/ideas maybe?

Dunedog

Greetings all!

My name is Nick, and am currently waiting/studying for my OE Apprenticeship test in a few weeks. I have been doing a lot of searching to try and sponge up as much info as possible to be well prepared for the test and future interview. I did a quick forums search to see if any up to date info was covered regarding the Local #3 JATC and only found a short thread dated from 2013. As much has changed since then, I figured I would post to see if this would fall on any kind ears (eyes I guess).

I was hoping to pick the brains of the forum for any up to date or relevant info that would help prepare me for the test, and possibly future sponsorship. "UnionTestPrep" has probably been the most helpful resource I have found so far. I am basically pretending to study for the ASVAB, since I cant find any specific study material (I'm assuming that is intended). I have also been told that there is an extra.. dexterity test of sorts, involving physical objects you need to interact with as quickly as possible. I am not as worried about this portion since I have always been a "hands on" type, and feel I have above average hand/eye coordination. In other words, I have enjoyed being a grease monkey.

I applied for the Construction Equipment Operator division, due to my location and advice of my local apprenticeship coordinator. He was even kind enough to help me narrow down the union contractors list to the most likely contractors to take on new apprentices in my area!

I do have some modest experience (non-certified) from previous construction, operating various types of equipment such as:
- Fork Lifts (both mast & boom style, with 4WS/crab/tilt/etc.)
- Skid-steers with carious attachments (CAT/Bobcat, wheeled & tracked)
- Small Excavators and Backhoes (though very brief)

Mostly just material movement and miscellaneous small scale ground prep. Unfortunately, no experience in any large scale grading, etc. Also, getting my Class-A CDL with various endorsements has been on my list of goals for career value, and I am aware that I am expected to attain it shortly, if accepted. Just haven't had the spare financial requirements to do so yet.

Any info and/or advice would be greatly appreciated! And please forgive the wall-o-text hah!
Hi just checking in to see how the test went and if you ever got in the program.