• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

O-ring boss caps

John V

Howdy, I've recently acquired my first machine that uses ORB (a bobcat skid steer). I like to have a cap and plug kit on hand for when eventual repairs happen. All the kits I'm finding online only have ORB plugs (male thread), with no caps. Why is this? Where can I find female caps? All the other kits I have for orfs, jic, bspp include caps and plugs.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
You're Bobcat has JIC fittings on the hoses and the adapters in the valves and such are ORB. You just need JIC plugs and caps. If you do have to remove an adapter from a valve you can simply stick a JIC plug in it as they use the same SAE thread

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
I've never seen an ORB cap before, they might not even exist.

Kind of pointless since you'll usually have to take the line off the fitting anyways. The vast majority of crimped hoses don't have swivel ends crimped on. Just cap/plug the open connection and if the fitting is in the way, just remove it and plug the port. Easy enough to clean out the ORB adapter fitting before you reinstall it.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
The thing about McMaster-Carr, at least in my area, they have several DC's, one in Georgia just south of me. I order from them quite frequently as their price is typically better than Grainger, and I usually have it the next morning without having to use next day freight. And the best part, seems it don't matter what I order, the shipping is always like $8.50. Hell, even if a supplier here in town has something I need I can't send a "gopher" to go pick it up in a company truck and bring it back for 8 bucks and fiddy cent!

treemuncher

Occupation
eatin' trees, poopin' chips
Get on Ebay and search "o-ring boss cap plug kit" and some full kits should come up. You might want to compare with Amazon, too. You should be able to score a decent kit for $50-$75.

I keep a kit on my truck and one at the shop. I've also got other kits for other fitting types. Mess Stopper kits are also one of the greatest plug ideas going.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Get on Ebay and search "o-ring boss cap plug kit" and some full kits should come up. You might want to compare with Amazon, too. You should be able to score a decent kit for $50-$75.

I keep a kit on my truck and one at the shop. I've also got other kits for other fitting types. Mess Stopper kits are also one of the greatest plug ideas going.

I've been working with this stuff for near 40 years, have plug/cap kits for all manner of fittings, except DIN. I mean, damn, already have enough plugs and caps, but then get to working with DIN, that stuff makes things double as they come in low pressure and high pressure, different diameter and threads for the same tube size. No, I ain't adding two more boxes of kit to cover them. LoL

treemuncher

Occupation
eatin' trees, poopin' chips
I've been working with this stuff for near 40 years, have plug/cap kits for all manner of fittings, except DIN. I mean, damn, already have enough plugs and caps, but then get to working with DIN, that stuff makes things double as they come in low pressure and high pressure, different diameter and threads for the same tube size. No, I ain't adding two more boxes of kit to cover them. LoL
I hear you. The Menzi is some DIN and some BSPP and the only machine I have with that oddball stuff. Mess Stoppers work great and fit just about everything!

John V

My eyes must be deceiving me. I don’t see any full kits of both caps and plugs for ORB on either eBay or Amazon. I searched hosewarehouse for oring boss cap and nothing comes up, so I’m guessing they don’t exist. I know jic is the same thread, but I doubt the caps will have the right chamfer to hold high pressure. Yes it’s mostly just to keep the hoses and components clean, although it has been useful sometimes to be able to run a machine with something disconnected and be able to cap and plug everything so it won’t leak.

HarleyHappy

Occupation
Welder/Mechanic
There’s a really good reason why there are only male plugs.
All the females are in the valves. Where would you find a need for a female cap?