• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Not-for-hire hauling of CTL's

Montecresto

If it's the sheet from the oem I don't know how it could be argued. But if you need to tow around nearly 20 ton it's time for something more then a glorified pickup truck. IMHO
Some folks here will tell you that the manufacturer pulls that number out of their ass. But yeah, I go by it, and have no problem with the 1 ton pulling it, VERY occasionally is all I move it. Personal use, my properties, so it sets on one property being worked for 4-5 years before moving to another property where it sets for another 5 years of use. So no, I won’t be changing tow vehicles……

Montecresto

I pull 20K on a DRW 3500 pretty frequently, running up and down mnt passes. I don't have a problem with it. The truck and trailer are capable of that. I don't prefer to run that heavy, but sometimes it is necessary.
Yep, me too. And yeah, I know about equipment positioning to achieve optimum tongue weight on the tow vehicle…..

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Here we also have what is called bridge law. My understanding is that is not done everywhere. The length of truck and trailer and the number of axles over that distance matters. It matters here because due to length, I cant carry my max capacity on certain combinations of truck and trailer. So there are times (and locations) where regardless of capacity, the overall length can't "bridge" enough to allow you max your truck trailer combination.

All of this, and different interpretations of the law make this really hard when crossing State lines. Some rules are DOT Federal and some are State. Thats why when buying equipment out of State or neighboring States, I hire it. I am not interested in being stuck in BFE red tagged for some jacked up interpretation of the law. There are guys that have that dialed in, and I am not one of them.

IceHole

Someone told me the other day trucks over 14k are supposed to hit the scales?
I've run F450-550s and Dodge equivalent for over 10 years and I've never scaled them. My Dodge with skid steer on the bed is right around 19,500lbs. (Checked at gravel pit for s&gs)

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I think the answer to that depends. Some scales I have seen require different trucks weights to pull in. some say commercial vehicles over 26K and some I have seen are 12K. When I was racing cars in California and driving from Idaho, I had color matching magnets that I would put over the business name on my pickup to avoid the hassle. Some of those ports required pulling in at the lower number. Alaska may have the lower numbers, it is typically post on the signs just before you hit the scale telling you if you are required to. I doubt that it is honestly paid much attention to by the Port officers on vehicles that small unless your pulling something.

IceHole

I think the answer to that depends. Some scales I have seen require different trucks weights to pull in. some say commercial vehicles over 26K and some I have seen are 12K. When I was racing cars in California and driving from Idaho, I had color matching magnets that I would put over the business name on my pickup to avoid the hassle. Some of those ports required pulling in at the lower number. Alaska may have the lower numbers, it is typically post on the signs just before you hit the scale telling you if you are required to. I doubt that it is honestly paid much attention to by the Port officers on vehicles that small unless your pulling something.
Signs just say "trucks" I believe. I can't remember to be honest

Montecresto

37000 Is 3000 pounds short of 20 ton so 18.5 are talking gross or capacity. 9 ton in my book still requires a truck not a wanta be
37K is what the manufacturer says their truck can tow, not what I’m towing. My load is 18K plus trailer around 5-6K, well under what the manufacturer specs out for their truck. Again, there’s the guy making the very occasional move and the commercial enterprise moving heavy equipment around daily for a living, and these two it seems impossible to distinguish….

Montecresto

Amazing the complexity of it all, the lack of consensus that exists on what is legal and what’s not, and the inability to get the same answer from one DOT brownshirt to another who themselves don’t even understand the law they are supposed to be enforcing. Little wonder so many say screw it and just hook up their load and move it where they need to when it’s time…..‍♂️

bam1968

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
Here we also have what is called bridge law. My understanding is that is not done everywhere. The length of truck and trailer and the number of axles over that distance matters. It matters here because due to length, I cant carry my max capacity on certain combinations of truck and trailer. So there are times (and locations) where regardless of capacity, the overall length can't "bridge" enough to allow you max your truck trailer combination.

All of this, and different interpretations of the law make this really hard when crossing State lines. Some rules are DOT Federal and some are State. Thats why when buying equipment out of State or neighboring States, I hire it. I am not interested in being stuck in BFE red tagged for some jacked up interpretation of the law. There are guys that have that dialed in, and I am not one of them.
Years ago I was sitting in the passenger seat of a local DOT's car. He was trying to decide which violations he was going to give me tickets for vs written warnings. He happened to mention that I wasn't long enough to 'bridge' the what ever weight I had on. To try to lighten the mood a little my response was..... Well sir, I don't have any bridges that I have to cross to get to my destination. Evidently he didn't find that very amusing because he gave me 3 or 4 overweight tickets and no warnings. Lessen learned that day!!!!

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Years ago I was sitting in the passenger seat of a local DOT's car. He was trying to decide which violations he was going to give me tickets for vs written warnings. He happened to mention that I wasn't long enough to 'bridge' the what ever weight I had on. To try to lighten the mood a little my response was..... Well sir, I don't have any bridges that I have to cross to get to my destination. Evidently he didn't find that very amusing because he gave me 3 or 4 overweight tickets and no warnings. Lessen learned that day!!!!

DOT people tend to be void of a personality and certainly a sense of humor. Common sense is not issued to them either. Its black and white and most seem to be color blind.

Welder Dave

Sometimes the truck unit guys get humbled but not very often. It's really helps if your truck and trailer are in good mechanical shape. I had a guy spend 10 minutes looking for something wrong including having me turning the wheels to check the steering linkage. He didn't find anything wrong so sent me on my way.

skyking1

the last two times I have had the truck/trailer inspected they put a sticker on there and filled out a "no defects found" report to take back to my boss.
I had gone through and replaced the breakaway battery and switch, new hooks on the safety chains, replaced tires and serviced the brakes.
I make sure it all works and carry reflectors and a fire extinguisher.

BC Placer gold

Sometimes the truck unit guys get humbled but not very often. It's really helps if your truck and trailer are in good mechanical shape. I had a guy spend 10 minutes looking for something wrong including having me turning the wheels to check the steering linkage. He didn't find anything wrong so sent me on my way.
Similar experience on a quiet Sunday morning at the Kamloops scales a few years back.

Test steering linkage, time air pressure build-up, air leak down test etc…had me assemble safely triangles while he was on creeper! Pretty friendly & sent me on my way: fix licence plate light & possible chafing air line (resecure).

Cat 303.5 in dump box secured well with heavy welded d rings in box. But…these tie downs not visible from scale house….

BC Placer gold

This is how we occasionally hauled, definitely felt like there was a bullseye on our back as it is an ‘odd’ looking load…

Attachments

• IMG_1799.jpeg
    IMG_1799.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 14

skyking1

That's a little kid's load right there :)
Said using the Haribo gummy commercial kids voice:
" I put my exca-tater in my twuk like this"

Last edited: