• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

No work yet !!!

Madman

:mad: Finished an 8 week operators course a few weeks ago. Halfway through the course I sent out roughly 100 ( yes 100 ) resumes to different companies and still no work. I do have meet with someone tommorrow morning so hopefully it goes well ! You would think I should have found something by now !:Banghead

Cat420

Occupation
Construction, small engine and machine shop work
A couple of things that could be the reason.

1. your experience isn't enough for them.
2. your resume doesn't grab their attention.

1 is tough to fix, because you need experience to get hired and you need to get hired to get experience. Not sure how that's supposed to work.:beatsme

2 is much easier to fix. Maybe post a copy up and see if some of our members can help rephrase and format things to put your best foot forward. A poor resume may not even get the employer to read much past the first line. Lying is not recommended, but there a many ways to say the same things and make it sound better.

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
I can't remember where you are from in Canada but anyhow don't get too discouraged.

Many companies now are go go go time is money if you have no experience your no use to the company. I don't know what is going to happen accross Canada the gov't keeps preaching get younger generation into the trades. Well if they can't get hired into the trades how in the heck are they supposed to learn. When the baby boomer generation retires or if they ever retire companies will be short staffed looking for experienced equipment operators and there is none. If you don't train the younger generation now so they gain the experience and when the old people start retiring the younger operator is ready to move up.

When our parents got jobs back in the 60s to 80s you learned on the job the company trained them. It was far easier for the baby boomer generation to get jobs with little or no skills. At todays conditions that doesn't happen anymore you got no experience no work. If companies don't hire green horns to learn the trade there won't be any people in the trade.

You can go to school all you want and learn all you want but you never can replace the in the field experience. You will learn more working with a operator that has 20 years plus experience than some guy teaching in a school.

Keep searching you will find something. Its all money money money if you don't make money for the company then your no use for them. You have to try find a small excavation company that will take you on as a labourer even if they only do mini excavator work and hardscaping.

pushcat

We're so desperate for operators I'm almost tempted to hire a few training school graduates. Can't be any worse than what we've got.