• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

No water past meter

Fordman

May not be the right section, but I thought I would run this by you guys. Just finished new house, ran pex all the way to the meter where a previous copper line was coming out. Cleaned it off, cut it and spliced on the pex line. Just had water meter installed in meter box, turned on. Nothing, No water coming in period. Ran air pressure and cable from house to open meter box. Nothing came out of the meter. Took the meter out and was wondering if that check value could be bad, or there could be a valve I'm not seeing. Anybody run across this? Thanks

Attachments

• 1491424264149504228586.jpg
    1491424264149504228586.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 52

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
So you still have water coming from your curbstop, but nothing going through the meter? Here the curbstop is on the property line, and the meter is in the basement.

Fordman

So you still have water coming from your curbstop, but nothing going through the meter? Here the curbstop is on the property line, and the meter is in the basement.
Water is going through the meter, but stopping somewhere in between the outlet of the meter and the copper connection. That's why I think it might be that check valve right after the meter.

Ronsii

Occupation
s/e Heavy equipment operator
Around here the meter bases look just like what you have there, for new construction we usually connect to the bottom adapter with a male pipe to ford compression then run pex/poly straight to the house and join on to the plumbers stub with a compression x compression then it usually hits a main valve inside the house. I have seen a lot of older structures with a shutoff just outside the footings but if the water on your service was working before it should still work??? did you blow through the meter? maybe some shoved something in an open end of pipe/meter to keep dirt out... and it got forgot??? or you got real unlucky and there are two big rocks smashing the pex into a flat somewhere in the trench.

Billrog

Occupation
band mill , backhoe and dump truck
Did the curb stop get opened and blow out any dirt before the meter was installed ? Meter hooked up backwards ? I don't know if that would stop the water or not. New meters may have a check valve to avoid any contaminants back feeding into the main line. I've installed over 100 water meters at the property line but never had one that the water didn't come out. Have done a no. of repairs where people complained they had little or no water normally always gravel in the line sucked in from main line leaks .

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
May not be the right section,...

It's probably better here than in the backhoe section.

Ran air pressure and cable from house to open meter box. Nothing came out of the meter.

I'm not real sure of what you mean by that, but if I'm reading it right, and the check valve is working, you wouldn't expect anything from the house to come through the check valve into the meter pit.

Did you try blowing air through the check valve, toward the house?