• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

No start issue with my 580K case backhoe.

Rick James

I’ve had this Great machine since 2006 it’s a 1987 580K backhoe.
So I try to start it and nothing.I’m thinking natural safety switch,so I climb under and I found that one wire was off and the ends on both bullet connectors literally rotTed off. So I put new connectors on then I go to start it and it starts right away, I go to shut it off and it won’t shut off so I push the manual throutlet down and it stalls. Now it won’t start,won’t even crank over. Hummm. I figured I better order a new key switch so I did (it’s not hear yet) .So then I’m thinking the starter relay might need changing. Napa had one on the shelf. So I remove the seat( real hard to get at it especially at my age,)two hours to clean all the connections and nothing,won’t start,won’t crank.
Now I’m stuck,waiting for the switch.
I’d like to jump the switch but it didn’t work,yet. Had to walk away.

Anybody’s thoughts are greatly appreciated.

HarleyHappy

Occupation
Welder/Mechanic
Need to check battery connections, especially the ground and check power at starter, sounds like the starter solenoid.

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
Welcome to HEF @Rick James
On a 580K, the starter relay is located under the hood release flap.
Looking down into the area under the flap, there are two relays on LHS, below the hyd filler cap, if I recall correctly.
One is for starter & other is for return to dig.
You can swap them to check operation.