• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

No fuel at the injectors

rocks

My thumb is about to come off from priming the pump, and still no signs of fuel at the injectors. The inlet line going to the injection pump has fuel but the return line just drops.
Does the injection pump have a filter or screen to clean?
Cat 416b backhoe.
How hard is it to replace the injection pump? I know I have to deal with timing the engine, but if it's not too complicated and not require removing other parts I thinking to do it.
Thank you

AllDodge

Needs moved to Backhoe area
Post your serial number

I have a 416C and had issue priming do to a leaky seal on the fuel pump line, but replacing the seal it came right up.

Others will come in but I didn't worry about the return line, just the pump. Key would need to be ON for fuel to flow

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
My thumb is about to come off from priming the pump, and still no signs of fuel at the injectors. The inlet line going to the injection pump has fuel but the return line just drops.
Does the injection pump have a filter or screen to clean?
Cat 416b backhoe.
How hard is it to replace the injection pump? I know I have to deal with timing the engine, but if it's not too complicated and not require removing other parts I thinking to do it.
Thank you
That’s not how it works. That’s not how any of this works. Let’s take a step back before we go crazy changing an injection pump.

rocks

I haven't checked if there is power to the injection pump. I check it in the AM.
No fuel coming out even when cranking the engine. All injectors lines were removed.
How do I check if the injection pump any good? Is it the pressure test?

Last edited:

Coaldust

Occupation
Very well could have an air leak at any one of those dried out fuel line grommets. Did you change the fuel filter?

rocks

There is voltage on the pump. Ignition on while priming and still no drop of fuel coming out of the injectors.

Coaldust

Occupation
Roosamaster was the original OEM of that distributor style, DB series fuel pump. Rather revolutionary at the time. It made the small mass produced, affordable high speed diesel a thing. Made diesel tractors a thing.

Then, Stanadyne came along.

They are fuel lubricated. If any thing goes wrong,…. Seize they do. So, we nicknamed them seizeamaster. And made a living fixing them.

That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

Coaldust

Occupation
There is voltage on the pump. Ignition on while priming and still no drop of fuel coming out of the injectors.
How about when you crank the engine?
You can have voltage at the pump, but unless the solenoid clicks, nothing is happening. Does the solenoid on the pump click? Can you feel it click?

rocks

How about when you crank the engine?
You can have voltage at the pump, but unless the solenoid clicks, nothing is happening. Does the solenoid on the pump click? Can you feel it click?
I am a lonely wolf. No pack around to help. I check that once I have someone else to turn the ignition while I am listening/feeling the solenoid.
The top of the pump looks like it has a cover bolted in. Is the the solenoid?
Is the solenoid replaceable? Without removing the pump?
Thank you

Coaldust

Occupation
There will be a wire connected directly to the solenoid. That’s it

Coaldust

Occupation
Don’t mess with the cover. There is a magic screw under that cover that you don’t want to touch.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
1st, u r NOT going to get fuel out of the injectors by hand pumping the primer..
The primer is to fill the filter and to push fuel TO THE PUMP INLET..
The only way to get fuel at the injectors is to crank the engine with the starter..
U CAN run a jumper wire from the battery + to the solenoid where the other wire is..
Be sure to turn the ignition OFF, THEN TOUCH THE SOLENOID with your + wire & listen for the CLICK..
If the solenoid is sticking, u might be able to free it up by touching the post several times.. on-off, on-off..u get the drift..

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
One other thing..
U can remove the line off the top cover on the pump..
THEN, remove all the fittings..(9/16 wrench)
If done correctly, you’ll be looking at a hole in the to of the pump..
VERIFY the solenoid is clicking..
Then take the line and fittings out..
NOW loosen the lines AT THE INJECTORS, as many as u can get to..
PULL THE THROTTLE WIDE OPEN AND CRANK THE ENGINE.
A couple bursts of 10 seconds cranking should get u some results..