• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

no crank on cat backhoe 416 c

Jamiea

my backhoe will not crank when key is turned batteries are good new start switch new starter any helpful answers anyone

Jamiea

ya i did that it started then guages went out and it wouldnt crank again no power to key or guages all fuses are good and relays wondering if it has to do with white wire from starter to gear selector

heymccall

Just had one.....no crank. Ground from frame to engine gave up. I'm not even sure where it was.
I ran from ground at frame in front of battery box to starter bolt, a new ground wire. Problem solved. This was on one of my 1YR 426C, same electrical as my 1WR 416C.

Reactions: DB2

edgephoto

Why not diagnose it instead of guessing? Guessing wastes money, time and causes frustration.

1. When trying to crank, see if you have voltage on the small wire going to the solenoid. It should be battery voltage when trying to crank. if it doesn't click and you have voltage the solenoid is failing. Try tapping it with a hammer when trying to crank.

2. Put a volt meter on the battery terminals and attempt to crank. The voltage should be above 10 volts. if not you have a failed battery. Do not assume they are good because they are new or you think they are fully charge.

3. Take a volt meter, set it on DC volts. Put one lead to the negative battery terminal and the other lead to the starter housing. When attempting to crank measure the voltage. In a perfect circuit it would read Pro volts. In a bad circuit it will read voltage. Anything above .5-.7 volts means you have a bad ground.

4. Volt meter on DC volts, one lead on battery positive and the other at the large positive lead on the starter.