• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

NH 555E need help to prime

NCman

No, I just put everything back as it was. Now it cranks immediately so no more breaking out the jumper cables:)

Did a bunch of work with it yesterday until a hose at the low point of the boom blew out. I took it to oreillys and they did not have the right fitting. Then called two other hydraulic hose makers and they did not have the fitting either. The fitting was a straight male end with a flat face and a recessed o-ring. What's so rare about that fitting? Finally drove 40 minutes to a hyd. shp that had the fitting and got the hose made and then installed last night.

Side note; When I am working with the hoe I hear a whining sound only when extending/retracting the dipper or stick. I have noticed that one of the backhoe control valves is wet. Seems to whine less or more depending on what rpm I am working with. Also the right stabilizer is not as strong as the left. Is changing o-rings under that control valve a simple job? Looks like 2 allen screws will give access to the problem???

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
I had similar starting problems with mine. The first thing I did to it was ordered some proper size solder on cable ends. I cleaned up the cut and stripped cable ends, heated the connectors with a propane torch, and fed solder till they filled up. I think the battery connections are good. It had two ground cables and turned out both were connected to the chassis. Moved one to the engine and no more problems. It starts sluggish sometimes but it always starts now. Probably need to remove and clean all the cables.

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
  • I went to local NH dealer and got the rubber seal that is located at the injection pump inlet. It was 3.50 and now I have no more fuel prime problems and the line is tight with no movement as before.

You wouldn't happen to have the part number for the line seals would you? I can't find it anywhere.

Dadgum parts diagram looks like they want you to buy the lines.
fuel-lines.png

Last edited:

stinky64

Occupation
big truck wrench/fixer of things
Your mystery fitting is just common jic to o-ring fitting,dont know why hose guys were confused...as to priming issues ,I have found over the years the best way to prime a system is to open or remove fitting/line from the northern most part of the system and pressurize tank,whether it be a rubber bung or fuel cap w/fitting or just a shop rag around your blow gun at fuel tank....the trick is low steady pressure...if you honk full shop air into system your gonna have other issues aside from the clean-up......

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
Your mystery fitting is just common jic to o-ring fitting,dont know why hose guys were confused...as to priming issues ,I have found over the years the best way to prime a system is to open or remove fitting/line from the northern most part of the system and pressurize tank,whether it be a rubber bung or fuel cap w/fitting or just a shop rag around your blow gun at fuel tank....the trick is low steady pressure...if you honk full shop air into system your gonna have other issues aside from the clean-up......

These lines have a rubber seal inside the cap nut that tightens them down. Without it the line is just loose after the nut is all the way tight. I have dug some of the cracked rubber seals out and replaced them with a stack of 3 regular o-rings but I would like to replace most of them with the correct seals if I can find them.

Alternately I might order some 5/16" ID square o-rings from McMaster Carr with the 3/32 wall and try those.

stinky64

Occupation
Is the seal inside the cap nut or is it a rubber/steel washer that goes under nut?? these are very common on power steering fittings on trucks....pics???

stinky64

Occupation
sorry NH I was referring to NCmans hydraulic fittings....if you're talking about #15 in your picture I think read something just recently in this forum about dorman fuel injector return line rubber washers that look very similar....check recent fuel system posts here I believe one of the pics even has an inverted part number....

stinky64

Occupation
NH575E read jd 310a fuel line leak at injector sept.19 2020,not dorman seals...eastman seals ...looks like your animal......

Delmer

Those seals for JD are a stanadyne fuel system part, and they're a square cross section. I can't tell what the seals in the picture are, if they're a square/rectangular cross section, then they sure could be the same thing. If that's a CAV pump or something other than stanadyne, then I'd suspect they're different.

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
Looking at the sizes on those JD seals they don't look like they would work. I don't need to pay for all those odd sizes that I know won't fit.

This machine has a Lucas pump but not sure that makes any difference. The lines are 5/16" od and the seals are square but have a taper on the inlet part of the ones that haven't disintegrated. I think a plain square seal will work. I have stacked 3 regular o-rings on a couple that seem to seal but I would like to use something that closer resembles what is on them.

I just ordered some seals for old D Jetronic Bosch injectors found on old Volvos and such from the early 70s to try. The small end of those look pretty close.
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/.../6017464/1973/volvo/142?q=injector+seal&pos=1